• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What's a "believer"?

toolcrazy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this particular forum we can be silly when we need too, especially when we just did our first big mod of an existing contrib :)

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

Okey Dokey - Get the tune at http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1001.

However, If somebody would like to lend me their voice, I will put their words in aswell :lol:

Hope YA Like it!!

PS Its in MID format, cause thats what my keyboard records in!!

Also, I put in a few other instruments like drums etc..

Warren,

Thank you very much for recording the song. I DL'd it and having playing right now. :) :)

Thanks to everyone else that participated in Silliness Day. Now it's back to work....orders to pack, contribs to work on, people to help.....

Okey Dokey - Get the tune at http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1001.

However, If somebody would like to lend me their voice, I will put their words in aswell :lol:

Hope YA Like it!!

PS Its in MID format, cause thats what my keyboard records in!!

Also, I put in a few other instruments like drums etc..

That is just plain old mad!!

Quality Warren....

I am still swinging from side to side as we speak. :lol:

CC.

Yippee!! We need somewhere to go when the stress gets too high.

Now, who has a good voice???? Or just is brave enough to sing???

Another of my favourite bands sillyfied

I want you to want me

I need you to d/l me

I love you to hack me

I'll boot up the old pc, put in a brand new mod

I'll stay up really late, if you say you'll d/l me.

Oh, didn't I, didn't I see you crying

didn't I, didn't I see you trying.

feelin all alone without a reply to my post, I feel like dying,

oh, didn't I, didn't I see you crying

(repeat from beggining)

kudos to any one who know who the band are

Also, on 14th March it is Red Nose day in UK,

see http://www.bbc.co.uk/rednoseday/

I'll shall be working on some really wacky online silliness, to contribute to this Charity Event

Trust me, I'm an Accountant.

Anorak, a term of abuse

A.no.rak noun. [Esk. (Greenland) anoraq] a heavy jacket with a hood.

In the UK this form of coat was worn by all children in the 1970s, but worn now only by socially disfunctional adults who still wear the trousers they wore to school (despite the fact they never covered their ankles even back when they were 14 years old).

Ian,

I'm not sure I want to make it that level... :wink:

OK, at the risk of inching closer to achieving Anorak status, I'll bite:

The song was

I Want You To Want Me by Train

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

... by the way,

socially disfunctional adults

This couldn't possibly refer to any of us here, could it? (Coat or not) :lol:

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

Stuart,

You are hereby assigned to the seventh level of Hell for daring to mention a mere cover version of the classic original. :lol:

n the UK this form of coat was worn by all children in the 1970s, but worn now only by socially disfunctional adults who still wear the trousers they wore to school (despite the fact they never covered their ankles even back when they were 14 years old).

I still have an Anorak, but only wear the short trousers on Very special occasions :wink:

OK, OK, I'm sorry... the way you were singing it, I thought it was the remake :wink: , so how 'bout

I Want You To Want Me

Cheap Trick

Words and Music by Rick Nielsen

:!:

Damn, I took a nap and someone beat me to the answer. I knew that one!!!

deb

I've never leaving the forum again.... I could have had the coconut....

Gee, Deb, I'd offer you some but, you see, umm - I really like coconut and er, uhh, you see- I mean

OK, dammit! I ate the whole thing myself before you woke up :oops:

Yep, and some of us would wear the anoraks and trousers and spot trains

as a hobby.

We cannot do that in the UK anymore

(As the trains are so late)

Thats why our beards are so long, by the tim ethe train turns up

its been like a week !

Sorry very UK centric post this!

Special Effects / 3d + Flash

I'm listening to the "I'm an Osc'er" contribution.... I really need to find some musical notes to put up here..... :lol:

Anyway, it brings a smile to my face :-)

Harald, thanks for a great community and the choice of the word "Believer" for us!

Debbie

No way, this thread aint gonna die yet.

I'm not through haven fun yet, come on.

Come out and play. Your daddy isn't gonna yell at you.

You haven't finished your homework, you say?

So what, you can do it later.

I'm bored, and I don't have anybody to play with!

Waaaaaa :cry:

NO!!!! I'm not gonna work on my store. I don't feel like it!!!!

You know what they say:

All work, no play, makes Jack (or Jill) a dull boy (or girl)!!! :lol: :lol:

Steve

-------------------------

I'm with ya Steve, time for a break, my cats won't come near me (I scared them yelling at the box on the table aka the 'puter), so time for a stress break.

d

Why are "anoraks" called anoraks?

By Christopher England

RADIO 0000-00-00

If you know slightly too much about radio to be healthy, you're officially an "anorak". But why? Christopher England takes up the story...

What is an "anorak"?

a) A warm waterproof hip-length jacket that usually has a hood.

B) The name given to a devotee or fanatic of a single, and some might argue, 'strange' nerdy 'collecting' pastime like train-spotting or stamp collecting.

Now. The latter has it's origins in radio, and is probably the only thing we can really thank offshore pirate radio for.

Before it opened out to apply to all nerdy fanatics, for a good few decades an 'anorak' was only a radio fanatic.

The word 'anorak' was coined to replace a previous word which was accidentally broadcast. You see, originally offshore radio fans were called 'w*nkers'.

They would pay money to climb on board what became known as 'w*nker-boats' chartered to come out into the North Sea and look at the offshore radio stations like Radio Caroline. During the 1970s there were hundreds of 'w*nkers', glueing themselves to their radios, listening to the offshore stations, writing down which deejay was on when. They would send off for fanzines and car stickers which they would put all over their bedroom walls in shrines to their religion.

'W*nker-boats' would deliver them to the offshore radio ships anchored many miles out in the North Sea, and they would spend a couple of hours touring the ship, taking hundreds of photos of the aerial rigging, the studios, and anything that they could focus on. They would also try to chip off bits of rust to take home and treasure.

Legend has it that one group of 'w*nkers' hired a huge paddle-steamer for one visit, and as it approached the Radio Caroline ship one of the English crew ran into the studio that was broadcasting a Dutch daytime programme and excitedly told the dutch presenter that there was 'the biggest f***ing w*nker-boat in the whole world coming towards them'. The dutch deejay included some English in his next link to greet them. Unfortunately, the dutch are less taboo about such words, so what was to him a perfectly reasonable link included the phrase, "..and hello to the biggest f***ing w*nker-boat in the whole world...".

Soon after this the term 'w*nker' was replaced by 'anorak'. Offshore radio fanatics were not normally sea-faring folk. Thus, the first thing you could notice would be their bright ill-fitting new anorak bought especially for the visit. 15 or so bright ill-fitting new anoraks would stand out on any boat coming towards the radio ship, probably being the first things that could be properly seen on the horizon, and would define whether the pending visitors were enthusiasts or something to be worried about. A boat carrying 15 or so people *not* wearing bright ill-fitting new anoraks but well-weathered anoraks could be a hostile boarding party determined to put the station off the air.

I seem to recall that the term 'w*nker-boat' remained for quite a while after the 'w*nkers' had become 'anoraks'.

So, now that the term 'anorak' has opened out to encompass any nerdy enthusiasm we have an accepted English definition of the word that owes itself to 1970s offshore radio.

Steve

-------------------------

Archived