• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OsC Templates - Lesson Learned

edukes

Just wanted to share something I thought would benefit all shop owners.

I got tired of the 'same old' look and wanted something better. Not being a creative/design type person, I searched for an OsC template, not a STS or BTS template but a pure OsC template. I found one that I liked. I spent money for this. Not as much as some I had seen. Thought it would be a 'good' investment.

For a week now, I have not left my PC trying to get the mods I have installed working correctly. While I was smart enough to back things up and can go back to my 'old' shop in a click, I am challenged to make this work.

Here's the problem: http://www.palmettoshopper.com/outlet/moonshine-dring-belt-p-7079.html

It appears to be an issue with the template and/or the Attributes Plus contribution. The author has left me high and dry. I haven't heard from her in days.

So my tip is this: The grass isn't greener on the other side!! While the basic OsC look isn't all that appealing, it works!!

Edited by edukes

When using a template, here are some pointers on adding contributions/add-ons:

1. Never do a drop-over and replace file type install.

2. Do all add-on/contributions installs manually editing the template file by file.

3. Don't get "locked-up" by the install instructions, some codes are moved around in the template files which means that you will have to adapt the code in accordance with that.

UPDATE:

The problem has been resolved.

There was an image in the manufacturers box that was too large (my fault). Apparently my emails were not being received nor was I receiving the authors emails. The site is working perfectly and the author has gone out of the way in helping get my site working.

There was a learning curve to the original OsC layout and there is one if you change the layout/template.

there are some significant formatting errors in the html, which might explain why your column right is outside the site layout. Otherwise I can sympathise as every addition requires a significant amount of work to get the formatting right with a non osc design.