• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Forum Software Upgrade

So, it's time to switch to another forum software. I'd suggest SMF (it can convert from IP.Board), but they seem to be in a bit of turmoil right now about control and direction. Maybe when the dust settles...

I shouldn't have to remember to manually request a "watch" on every single topic I post to. And it's a serious problem that I can't see my posts (advanced search) since December 20 -- I have no idea if someone has responded to a post I made in the last 33 days, unless I happen to stumble across it while browsing. Sometimes it will also show today's posts. IP.Board sucks.

A few years ago I had my post deleted for saying the same thing ( was very strict back then ).

I used to be massively pro SMF ( in the [uNKNOWN] days ) these days I'm not so sure.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's not doing the needed thing.

I agree, it's NOT doing the right thing. Summary of my attempts:

All computers checked for correct date setting.

4 different computers

4 different browsers on each

2 different ISPs

All computers tested with each browser.

My results, as follows, are consistent in all the above configurations.

A short search for my own posts returns ONLY those made prior to Dec 2009.

An Advanced Search using From 1/1/2010 to NOW shows ONLY my posts for today!

Searching for other posts relating to subjects I KNOW have been discussed within the last six months comes up with 'No Results'. However, I have some of those pages bookmarked and the bookmark will take me to the various threads so the search engine should have found them!!

The Search Engine is not working. Can something PLEASE be done!

Hi Ken..

A short search for my own posts returns ONLY those made prior to Dec 2009.

An Advanced Search using From 1/1/2010 to NOW shows ONLY my posts for today!

I can reproduce that and have filed a bug report at the software vendors site:

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=tracker&showissue=21101

Kind regards,

:heart:, osCommerce

Hi Ken..

I can reproduce that and have filed a bug report at the software vendors site:

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=tracker&showissue=21101

Kind regards,

Thanks Harald - let's hope we get an answer soon. Unlike commercial shopping cart software, osCommerce relies on its many contributors and users for support. If the forum cannot provide a reliable means of communication between the originators and site developers we are all lost.

Ken

Hi Ken..

This seems to be fixed now.

Could you please test and report back?

Thanks,

Hi Harald

This does seem to be fixed. After I tested several searches all results seem relevant.

Very grateful for your prompt action, many thanks.

Ken

• 1 month later...
<br />Hi All..<br /><br />This forum has been upgraded today to the new IP.Board v3 series! This newer version greatly enhances community involvement and profiles over the previous version, and makes it easier for the team to moderate the forum. This upgrade allows us to push out further enhancements to community profiles in the near future based on the IP.Converge software used as a single-sign-on service.<br /><br />A blogging entry will be posted in the coming days describing our plans on further enhancing community profiles.<br /><br />If you are experiencing quirks with the forum, please make sure to clear your browser cache and try reproducing the problem again. It would be great if you could report back with your experiences of this upgrade.<br /><br />Thanks, we're looking forward to your feedback!<br /><br />Kind regards,<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Can anything be done with the javascript now used on the forum, in IE it causes such a massive slow down the only option now is to disable it, but that causes other issues such as quoted text is messed up with tags, profile menu stays on permanent etc etc.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Can someone please explain how to post attachments? I've seen some posts that have attachments but I can't seem to find the command to do it.

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

• 6 months later...

Good upgrade (November 2010). It's great to see only one listing for any thread I've posted multiple times in, plus sorted by last posting! I'll have to try the View New Content and see if it shows all topics I've posted to that have unread replies -- that would bring this forum up to SMF quality!

Also,

What happened to the menu link to the add ons ? Clicking 'website' and then community and then contributions is inconvenient.

JMO

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, since the last forum software update there are several problems that have come up:

1) When you type ANYTHING into the search field, the results show only the current listing of available topics. It does not filter it to match any of the keywords entered.

2) New topics are not appearing at the top of the list when you click 'view new content', in fact some new topics are buried pages from the top.

3) 'Watch Topic' does not send out emails alerting members of new posts, even when they 'Immediate email' option is selected.

4) PM's and emails from the forum arrive the next day, they used to be fairly quick.

Are these issues being resolved, or were they just over looked ?

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

First I thought the email delay was my email provider.

Not so.

Just ran a test on the site. Email sent from site arrives immediately.

Notifications to topic replies (sent to same email address) can take an hour or more.

Looks like it may be a "batch" or "crontab" setup to me, instead of "immediate".

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

My reply in the topic should be amended to say "always take an hour or more".

I'm still waiting for an email notification of a reply made to a topic long before my last post in this topic.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

• 5 months later...

This post appears to be dead but I thought I'd try here as compared to going directly to the community leaders as I'm sure this is not a high priority problem.

I've searched google as well as the forums, plus read all eight pages of this topic. After a 2 hours+ of search I give up!

Yes I have checked the documentation all I can find is:

Profile Information

Here you can set your birthday and choose how many latest visitors to show on your profile.

Setting my birthday I'm not concerned about.

It seems that no how many latest visitors I select I never get any notification of any visitors in My Profile page.

I have a certain curiosity about who visits.

Is there something that I am missing that needs to be set with the drop down selection?

Thanks in advance!

Kerry,

There is no setting to notify you when a visitor views your profile. The option to show visitors on your profile is for curiosity only and not really a requirement.

Chris

Kerry,

There is no setting to notify you when a visitor views your profile. The option to show visitors on your profile is for curiosity only and not really a requirement.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

You're right! I don't expect to get notified via email, but I do expect to notice on My Profile page the last x number of visitors, just as I see on your profile page the last visitors that has been there.

I must have misstated the use of "notification" even through I meant the "notification" would be on My Profile page.

Anyway I still have no notification "on My Profile page" and would still appreciate an answer to my main question.

Is there something that I am missing that needs to be set with the drop down selection?

Archived