• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Forum Software Upgrade

I have a suggestion, would it be feasable to automatically delete, or put on hold/probation, any posts that are duplicates of other posts by the same user, might cut down on spam etc.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another suggestion!, when code that contains no line breaks is placed in a code block, it produces a very wide post thats hard to read, why not simply use wordwrap to ensure those code blocks are a more reasonable width. smile.gif

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Some thoughts on the new forum layout.

======================================

When I come on the site I want to see the questions so I can select the ones I can answer and get to them quickly.

To do this I use the view new posts option (I have still to find an option for last x days)

Everything is off the bottom of the screen, using a portable pc I can only see 2 threads when I view the forum.

Space is taken up by sponsor advertising across the entire page. Then even more to tell me I am on the New Content page and there are 54 entries.

By this time over half the screen is full.

Then I have Page navigation and a repeat of menu tabs at the top of the page and over 3/4 of the page is full.

Then each thread takes 2 lines with a blank line above and below each one. Most of each "thread" line is blank and could easily be all on one line.

I also miss the name of the person who posted the thread as there are some Help Vampires who I avoid like the plague.

Since the new forum was installed the amount of time I spend on the forum has dropped dramatically and I must admit I now support other packages on other sites.

How fickle am I?

Any chance of getting more info on the visible page and the name of the original poster?

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Might I suggest that it is time to sack some of the "team members"? Some haven't logged in to this forum in months. Get people on board who are able to spend time daily on osCommerce - even just 15 minutes per day answering a few questions, deleting spam, being visible! The only ones right now is yourself, and Jan (who does a great job btw).

I agree with your comments Gary, though i feel its far more Jan than anyone else keeping the forum clear of scum and bad posts, HPLD has also been busy with "other stuff".

The other moderators i have never seen on here ... EVER!

Perhaps Moderators should not be team members but dedicated to maintaining the forums only?

Nic

Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

[/url]

My Contributions

Another bug, presumably in the forum software. I type b) in a code block with emoticons on and get:

B)

If I turn off emoticons (which I've done for this post), it works. Apparently the code block correctly blocks the B) from displaying as the sunglasses emoticon, but it does not prevent the standardization from b) to B) for the emoticon.

You can see this in action at http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/346905-confirmation-email-change-order-of-products/

Always back up before making changes.

I noticed my PM space getting full but I couldn't find where to archive them. Looks like this is missing from the new software although it looks like it can be added:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/292492-printing-pms-the-new-conversation-ones

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=2686

I notice some one had given Jan a minus 1, i do not think its a good idea at all.

I think I'm at +1 at the moment but of course I can't please everyone so disgruntled members can be expected :)

I don't have a clue about how this reputation thing will work out. Maybe we should give it a chance?

What are we being scored against?

There are no guidelines for that as far as I know. I suppose it is up to the member who votes your posts up or down. From what I could find on the IP-Board forums (most is closed off for guests) it works off posts that have rated by other members.

I was +1 now i am neutral, i have not offended anyone or given bad advise to anyone.

Yes i am annoyed!

As far as I know there is no record who votes for whom and how so we'll have to live with it for the time being :)

How is the reputation option enabled?

Does anyone know what the "has not set their status" means in the profile?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

Its like the Facebook thing, where you put a bit of text that appears on the forum

Not by choice, its a default forum setting i guess

Nic

Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

[/url]

My Contributions

Looks like it depends on votes up or down on posts you made and other members rated (just tried it with a post of Nic and it went up 1).

That you didn't type something in the What's on your mind input box on the front page?

Its like the Facebook thing, where you put a bit of text that appears on the forum

Ahh, thanks.

Looks like it depends on votes up or down on posts you made and other members rated (just tried it with a post of Nic and it went up 1).

Looks like a chicken/egg scenario for me since the option to vote doesn't show for me. But I think I agree with Nic, it is, seemingly, so arbitray that it doesn't serve much purpose.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Looks like a chicken/egg scenario for me since the option to vote doesn't show for me.

I notice you can't vote on your own posts but in the bottom right corner of a post, right above the MultiQuote icon there should be a green + and red - button with a number. There is where the vote up or down sits (for me at least). That seems to translate in reputation points. I don't know where the levels are and what levels there are (neutral is one obviously).

So far it is pretty arbitrary but when more people start using it it might be useful.

I'm not much in these social network thingies like Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Hyves (some Dutch equivalent of Facebook I believe) so it is not something for me anyway (probably getting too old and grumpy for that kind of stuff :D )

Since the score don't appear except in your profile its pretty meaningless any way.

I was wondering, when u ban someone, will thier votes be negated? laugh.gif

PS Is the ant-spam any better on this software?

Sam

Contributions:

I was wondering, when u ban someone, will thier votes be negated?

At the moment I can only flag users as spammers which basically does the same thing (they can't post or PM anymore) but I don't think it does something with their votes or reputation.

Just noticed someone in the member list who was flagged as a spammer with a reputation of -1....

PS Is the ant-spam any better on this software?

I assume it's the same as the previous versions although Harald enabled something recently that adds a kind of reputation to someone who becomes a member. If he/she has been flagged as a spammer elsewhere on an IP-Board he/she can be put in the banned group right away without forum moderator or admin intervenience.

That sounded useful...

I notice you can't vote on your own posts but in the bottom right corner of a post, right above the MultiQuote icon there should be a green + and red - button with a number. There is where the vote up or down sits (for me at least). That seems to translate in reputation points. I don't know where the levels are and what levels there are (neutral is one obviously).

Yes, I see the + & - in everyone elses posts but not in mine. Are they disabled for the poster? Do you see them in my post? In yours?

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, I see the + & - in everyone elses posts but not in mine. Are they disabled for the poster? Do you see them in my post? In yours?

Yes, I see them in your post, but not in mine (and for you it is vice versa). It makes sense that the poster can not vote for his own post. Didn't we have that star rating on posts where the poster could rate his own post in the previous version? Wasn't very much used as far as I can remember.

Yes, I see them in your post, but not in mine (and for you it is vice versa). It makes sense that the poster can not vote for his own post. Didn't we have that star rating on posts where the poster could rate his own post in the previous version? Wasn't very much used as far as I can remember.

Ahh, OK. I think the star rating worked after a few thousand votes, which is what you alluded to previously. So maybe in six months, or so, this rating will begin to have more of a meaning when a better average can be seen. It could be a little dangerous initially though if only those upset with a poster, or the kids just playing, decide to vote negatively. Seasoned posters probably won't pay much attention to the rating but new posters might not know the difference.

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi All..

The voting system should be used to mark forum postings (mainly replies) as either positive or negative, in the sense that a helpful posting would be marked positive and a bad posting (eg, "search google") be marked negative.

This type of system can be used to increase the quality of postings made on the forum, and shows a further level of trust worthiness in addition to number of posts and join date.

It is also possible to filter a topic based on the number of votes a posting receives (through the option "Currently viewing all posts. Change threshold?"), so the bad postings can be ignored/hidden.

A limit of 30 positive and 30 negative votes is provided on a daily basis. It is not possible to vote on a posting made by ones self. Postings receiving over 50 positive votes are highlighted.

Lets see how this turns out :-)

Kind regards

:heart:, osCommerce

Archived