• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Australian Shipping Module

debf

Hi, hoping someone might be able to help. I have installed the Australian Shipping Module and all is working. However, with parcels sent by express post within Australia I use pre-paid satchels - up to 500gms which cost $8.00 and over 500gms up to 20kgs cost $12.00.

At the moment, (for parcels over 500g) the Australian Shipping Module calculates shipping using the basic charge of $10.80 plus a distance charge of X amount per kg or part thereof, depending on the destination. This charge comes out to a fair bit more than using a pre-paid satchel.

Is there any way I can use say a flat rate or table for express post only but still continue to use the module for ordinary parcels, insured parcels etc and disable the express post part of the module to replace it with a table rate as per above ?

Thanks in advance !

Hi, hoping someone might be able to help. I have installed the Australian Shipping Module and all is working. However, with parcels sent by express post within Australia I use pre-paid satchels - up to 500gms which cost $8.00 and over 500gms up to 20kgs cost $12.00.

At the moment, (for parcels over 500g) the Australian Shipping Module calculates shipping using the basic charge of $10.80 plus a distance charge of X amount per kg or part thereof, depending on the destination. This charge comes out to a fair bit more than using a pre-paid satchel.

Is there any way I can use say a flat rate or table for express post only but still continue to use the module for ordinary parcels, insured parcels etc and disable the express post part of the module to replace it with a table rate as per above ?

Thanks in advance !

I just came on to ask that myself, I have been using the auspost module for quite some time and I just realized it doesn't seem to return rates for the satchels. It is must cheaper to ship heavier small items in the prepaid satchel packs than by standard australia post parcel post or express rates.

I just came on to ask that myself, I have been using the auspost module for quite some time and I just realized it doesn't seem to return rates for the satchels. It is must cheaper to ship heavier small items in the prepaid satchel packs than by standard australia post parcel post or express rates.

You may want to fiddle with Flat Rate Files to use for Satchels b at Australian Shipping Module. The rates would be the first thing that needs adjusting (every March and August).

I worked it out - I used a table rate for the satchels and removed the express post portion of the shipping module.

This is what I used for the table rate which means that anything up to .49gms would be $9.00 and up to 3.00 (3kg) would be $12.00. I don't post anything more than that although there is now a 5kg bag I believe so I'll find out how much they are and add that as well (would be added as 3.01:18.00 (this is assumed amount at the moment).

Enable Table Method

True

Shipping Table

.49:9.00,3.00:12.00

Table Method

weight

Handling Fee

Tax Class

--none--

Shipping Zone

Australian Zones

Sort Order

I also renamed "table rate" to Express Post Satchels in /includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/table.php as follows

<?php

/*

$Id: table.php 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2002 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

define('MODULE_SHIPPING_TABLE_TEXT_TITLE', 'Express Post Satchel');

define('MODULE_SHIPPING_TABLE_TEXT_DESCRIPTION', '');

define('MODULE_SHIPPING_TABLE_TEXT_WAY', 'Next Day Delivery within "Next Business Day Networks" - Australia Only');

define('MODULE_SHIPPING_TABLE_TEXT_WEIGHT', 'Weight');

define('MODULE_SHIPPING_TABLE_TEXT_AMOUNT', 'Amount');

Hope this helps.

Hi All

I haven't gone through all posts yet, this is the first I saw thats relevant so don't jump on me :)

I'm after recommendations and advice on shipping with Australia Post; I sell various items which are all different weights and go all over the place. I recall we tried one and it was hopeless and now I have resorted to the table rates. But I find that I have to average the costs, so the guy in Melbourne pays the same cost for 'X' Kg as does the guy in Perth. Not good for them, nor for my reputation.

I think my web guy (I am so not tech savvy) has tried installing a freight module which was the Australian one mentioned in this post, but my question is:

Does this module allow the website to calculate the actual freight cost, based on the postcode of the customer and the weight of their order?

Appreciate any comments or advice, I'm good at selling but not websites and I need to be able to fix this little glitch.

thanks

stephen

Hi All

I haven't gone through all posts yet, this is the first I saw thats relevant so don't jump on me :)

I'm after recommendations and advice on shipping with Australia Post; I sell various items which are all different weights and go all over the place. I recall we tried one and it was hopeless and now I have resorted to the table rates. But I find that I have to average the costs, so the guy in Melbourne pays the same cost for 'X' Kg as does the guy in Perth. Not good for them, nor for my reputation.

I think my web guy (I am so not tech savvy) has tried installing a freight module which was the Australian one mentioned in this post, but my question is:

Does this module allow the website to calculate the actual freight cost, based on the postcode of the customer and the weight of their order?

Appreciate any comments or advice, I'm good at selling but not websites and I need to be able to fix this little glitch.

thanks

stephen

Yes, the Aust Shipping Module does as it is accesses the aust post rate calculator. It doesn't accomodate satchels though so if you use them you need to set up a seperate table rate as explained in previous post but you would not disable the express post portion of the module if you want the shipping calculated on weight/destination - ie not a set price. Satchels are a set price up to certain weights.

Hope this helps.

Hi

My web guy has installed this module and I have tried it but I have found some limitations.

I send all sizes of parcels, and some of them are too long or large for Australia Post. I then use TNT for those items.

Heres where the trouble starts:

I prefer Aust post at the moment as they have country-wide coverage at good rates. TNT have some wild remote surcharges, as well as a minimum weekly spend and on top of all that they charge me to issue an invoice. So, I need a module that will allow items/parcels to be costed and only offered by Australia Post, and then those items that are too big to then only have TNT freight offered. TNT rates are actually cheaper than AP, but I cop a redilvery surcharge idf peeps are not home and its just easier to go AP most times.

So my issue is: I have items which weigh about 5Kg physically, but will cube up at about 15Kg, and are also over the 1050mm maximum AP have. As I understand it, the AP module will allow these to be costed as post, as it seems the sizing is designed for a set size box, where only the weight changes.

My items are all weights, and all sizes.

So my question is, can anyone design or point me to a module that will view the item weight (and I use the cubic weight where appropriate on the catalog setup) and then determine if it is to be shipped by AP or TNT/other courier. I imagine it will require changes to the catalog so that dimensions can be loaded?

I'm willing to reimburse someone for this if they want. I just cannot do computer code so please help!

stephen

Can't remember which contrib I used too long ago, had a major PC crash and lost a lot and can't find it, but it has apsat.php (Australia Post Prepaid Parcel Post Satchel) and epsat.php (Australia Post Express Post Satchel) shipping methods.

graeme