• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Feedback needed

Giovanna

Hi,

Can you give me some feedback on my site. Its is not live in the fact that i havent put paypal live yet, but everything else is working. All I need to do is fill in the products of one category and complete the size guide.

Warning: My site sells adult products, if easily offended, DONT look.

http://www.annsummersmanchester.co.uk/shop

Oh and another warning, my site contains pink.. It suits my audience.

Cheers.

Too much text on the front page> i say this to everyone.. NO ONE WILL READ THAT! You have about 3 seconds MAXIMUM to get your visitor's attention.. Generally the first place they look is the dead center of the site, and then over to the left.. You NEED some eye popping stuff there. Dont tell your visitors you have SSL with text.. dont TELL them where to go with text.. just make the navigation easy to understand and people will go where they want when they want.. Remove ALL of that text and replace it with inner website ads. (read about inner website advertising here)

If you add some eye catching images with some basic and to the point text, you will be on your way.. OR you can just scratch that whole idea and put your products front and center.. I mean, that area is PRIME real estate, why load it with text no one will read.

remove the WELCOME.. they dont need to be welcomed by text..

I think you can also remove the entire right column and put the shopping cart up in the header.. make your store name a little smaller, or arrange it differently and the shopping cart will fit nicely up there, and open up MORE prime real estate in the center.

Get a new menu. I HATE that menu.. i think a nice CSS based menu would be idea.. something classier.. bigger boxes between each category and a slightly larger font.. maybe to make it stand out make it a dark pink background with black text.. or soemthing of that sort.. But a bigger box to separate them would definitely help

take out the INFORMATION box and put those links in the footer.. the less 'Crap' you have on your sidebars, the better your site looks.. Also, MOST people look at the bottom for those links anyways.

Make larger thumbnails.. mostly you are selling clothing.. and people know whether or not they want to buy them BEFORE they click the larger image.. so make your smaller image larger - you have the room.. so go for it. Make it as big as possible. make your larger pop up images larger too.. the expensive stripper pole is small.. It also does not give me a lot to go on.. if you can get more images, put up as MANY as possible for things like that.. maybe some fancy formatting in teh descriptions.. also maybe some logos from the makes/designers in the descriptions would be nice

You should have category images..

For instance, I click on DRESS UP (without going to a sub category) and I see a bunch of products, and then two SMALL bits of text.. one says FOR HIM and one says FOR HER.. What I would do is put some nice graphics there.. maybe the MALE/FEMALE symbols. something classy looking (dont go cheesy on me here) but obvious. Without those images, i almost completely missed those links.. it seemed like the left side should have had MENS stuff and the right should have WOMENS.. but i had to actually click. Do that for ALL of your categories.

i would also add SPOOKS "Product Listing Thumbnails Enhancement" addon. it just gives your product listing a much MUCH more professional look. Gives the visitor the option to sort alphabetically, by price, and how many products per page to show. as a shopper i like that option, and as an owner you should offer it

You should reformat your LOGIN page.. its REALLY confusing to me.. put those side by side instead of on top of each other.. Put the "new customer" box on the left, and "Returning customer" box on the right.. then will take advantage of the center of teh screen and be easy to tell what you ACTUALLY want me to do.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Hiya,

Thanks for the feedback. I will have a look at some of the suggestions you made. As everything is from one manufacturer (Ann Summers) I dont have any logo's (officially i am not allowed to use their logo) Also the images are theirs so cant get any larger ones (wish it was possible)

With menu you mean the category menu? That is actually css based.

I've been working on the Category images, just not got them fully the way i want.

Your info box suggestion and login suggestion are on the list now to do.

Im surprised that the manufacturer doesnt give you larger images.. Maybe you can contact them and ask. I have worked with drop shippers before where, if you asked, you can get better images for your website

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Archived