• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Buy Stone dot co dot uk ? Please look

markdickinson

I like the design and colours but I would re-think the yellow buttons (add to cart, checkout, etc.) and the turquoise border in the shopping cart, somehow they seem too harsh in comparison to the rest, I think you should stick to the blue or green you have going in the rest of the site which works very well in my opinion.

I love your product information layout and your photos are great.

In your delivery page you say "Images of the delivery process are shown below:" but I see no images.

In your login.php perhaps you should move up the "new customer" and "returning customer" boxes as right now they are at the very bottom of your page and one has to scroll down in order to get to them.

One thing I notice: whichever link I click from your green navigation bar and from your footer, all the pages thereafter are SSL protected, including home, FAQ, contact us, about us, delivery, terms.

You put your company's details in conditions which is great, why not also put those details (address etc.) in your contact form?

I like your site a lot.

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

I personally dont like the design at all.. seems premade to me, and really has NOTHING to do with rocks and stones at all.. i mean, a green sun? WHY?? when you design, everything has a purpose, right down the color you choose.. so why a green sun? Whats that supposed to me the visitor FEEL

I strongly hate the blue gradient on the front.. its very cheesy looking and I think that your site would do a LOT better with a classy earth tone look.. Straight lines and earthy feel would be a lot more inviting to those looking to beautify their yards.. You site feels more like a "CHEAP ON SALE NOW!! HURRY HURRY HURRY" type of site.. and while that design may work for some things (electronics and the like) this is not for that

Your clients are likely ages 30-60 homeowners who have a middle to higher income right?? So cater to that.. its probably men, although you will want to add a feminine touch to appeal to the wives that usually are the decision makers in all things dealing with home design..

Personally. i think you should have a look at this site and its colors and presentation CT STONE Its the stone company near us and I have always been impressed with their marketing. They sell to contractors and wives.. everytime i go into their showroom, its woman looking that the displays and talking to the salesmen while the husbands are out in the yard looking around at the big stuff..

Regardless.. i think a design more lke that w ould be better for your type of business.. and while I applaud your attempt to really move away from the stock osc.. i think you just unfortunately missed your target audience.

so yea.. loose the blue and green and go with earth tones and go back to straight lines instead of rounded corners.. it can make a HUGE difference.. HUGE

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

some areas are good, the front product listing is ugly.

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

• 3 weeks later...

Overall I like it. I think there are elements to it which are very pleasing to eye such as the colour, the fixed page layout and the easy to navigate links in column left and the header are very good. Of course the products and quantities box (as mentioned before) is great.

Just a little bit of advice, it may be an idea to change the colour of the 'Super Saver Range' box on index.php as it does not do any favours contrasting positively with the rest of the stylesheet! Another thing, there is a large gap in your column left which is inappropriately increasing the distance between the footer and the column which results in the page getting longer for no reason. I think it may be an idea to 'fill' your pages in, you should make full use of the delivery and about us pages to write as much as possible as they seem quite empty.

A final thing, need to sort out your SSL pages because some of your links are with https (such as in the header, delivery and home)

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Archived