• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

NewsDesk v 1.3 Released!

moyashi

moyashi,

after getting up from that cold.. you should think about something to let you add more than an image per article (i think a diferent table call newsdesk_image)

and then you add records to this table and in the newsdesk_info.php after the text you have more images related to the article.. do you understan what i'mtrying to say?

i'm working on this project but my knowledge about php is pretty limited.. if you have time and you want to do it I will not kill you (you have my word on that)

cheers

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the well wishes.

Feeling a bit better today. I'll see what I can done later tonight after work.

@ more images.

I've already thought of this but implementation is my biggest problem. coding should be relatively easy (ie, just copy the current image variable add 2 or 3 more such calls adjust the sql database for that many more images, blah blha blah ... grunt work really). My problem is how the html should look. My cold is stuck really bad in my sinuses thereby stunting creativity.

Anybody willing to do the html, I'll code it :D

NewsDesk(934) / FAQDesk(1106) / OrderCheck(1168) :::

Dice,

Are you able to control the number of articles that show up now that it is working? Using the controls in the Admin or making the changes to the database itself.

I was getting the same error as you and just removed...

// set application wide parameters

// this query set is for NewsDesk

$configuration_query = tep_db_query("select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from " . TABLE_NEWSDESK_CONFIGURATION . "");

while ($configuration = tep_db_fetch_array($configuration_query)) {

define($configuration['cfgKey'], $configuration['cfgValue']);

}

And mine NewsDesk does not return an error. BUT, I now have no control over how many articles show up on the front page (just 3 article summaries show up... and I want more than that.)

I have all of 1.3 installed, with the exception of the code above that I removed from the catalog/includes/modules/newsdesk.php

By the way, I am using the Latest News Box and it works great! I can control the number of headlines that show up there.

See http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/newsdesk.php

Bobby

Jared Geesey

TRICK

Hey all you newsdeskers!

I have a trick that i discover using nd 1.3, altough it's logical maybe not!

When you are creating categories, FIRST OF ALL create the principals categories..

so if you have this category tree

STORIES

SOCCER

FOOTBALL

VOLEY

TRAVELLING

NORTH

SOUTH

I recomend to create first of all the STORIES and TRAVELLING categories.. then the other ones... just a tip to avoid problems with the products categories box.

cheers

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

Hi all,

I'm still here but this cold of mine has been lingering on.

I'm am working on the next release so don't worry about that. I had to do some research which slowed me down for a day or two. Hopefully, I'll have more of an idea of a timeline later this week!

Carsten

hey.. just for the record.. i'm sick too :( and here in ARgentina it's summer time! it's not fair to be sick in summer, it's even more unfair to be sick if you are an 19 years old university student!!

what new features do you have in mind? please be more specific!!!

author instead manufacterers?

more pictures per article?

voice recognizion :D :D :D

cheers

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

:!: Javascript is a pain in the butt!

:D hey that's an idea. Authors instead of manufacturers. Hmm, but so far the setup is only for 1 person basically :wink: If only osC had the ability to truely offer moderators/admins/user status. Oh well.

hehe, the hint is javascript :D

must have been mind boggling to go through all that code ...

anyhow, very nicely done. using it right now. though, i think when

you get the chance, you'll want to fix up that 'column' error ... before

many others install it and don't search in the forum for help on it ...

since you're going to be still working on it .. here's a few things i'm

going to comment on ..

- images might/should go in a new folder instead of DIR_WS_IMAGES

perhaps in a DIR_WS_IMAGES '/newsdesk' folder

-an option to make certain news/articles STICKY on the modules section (mainpage)

that being said, perhaps not every category should be listed in the 'mainpage' newsdesk module listings

other than that, thanks (to you and many others) for the contributions.

@ Talme,

IF it is feasible I'll check into that problem but with MS1 coming out I wonder if I'd be just wasting my time?

Any comments?

MS1 is there something I have missed??

Why do we have to keep having so many snapshots all they seem to do is cause problem with contribs......which is the life blood of os commerce.

@ms1

I was referring to the MileStone 1 release that just came out a week ago. No more snapshots for a bit :D

@ gnehc

images directory ::: this is actually on my todo list.

sticky ::: interesting idea, I'll have to look into it.

not all cats showing ::: Are you referring to empty categories? Or something else? Empty cats is hopefully going to be dealt with in v 1.4

cheers

finally got the javascript thingy working ... not extrememly happy but it should do until you all get to see and try it.

@emiliano

good idea. I'll be working on more of the interesting hacks tonight. Today, I'm busy at work. I have a stack of papers to process ... ughhh

Hy , I have little bug with newsdesk 1.3

when I add new categorie, It display automatically on newsdesk in spite

I have in admin :

Display Category/Manufacturer Filter (0=disable; 1=enable) =0

:?

ugh ... blind sided me with that :D

hehe, that's for the news_listing page :!: menu ::: news listing settings

So, that enable / disable is only to show on that horrible light teal column. News listing page is the one with the list of all the news in that catagory.

However, I've coded in a hack to take care of the empty catagories. No optimal code idea but will do. I had preferred to loop through the catagories and not show empty ones but ... I figured I'd take the easy way out and borrow code from the contribution area :roll:

Thanks go to ::

Mikel Williams  -- www.ladykatcostumes.com

For the code :D

@ update

Ok, I'm sort of back into the swing of things here. I'll try to cram as many of the hacks you've all suggested in the next release. Please note, I've just started working on this again so give a few days at least to get some sustantional work done.

@ question

What's everybody's opinion on changing the file structure? I'm thinking of trying to move all NewsDesk related files into the modules folder and such, ie; modules/NewDesk

Of course, images are going to be cleanly organized.

@ haha, I don't even have my own hack running on my own site yet :roll:

@ emiliano

You feeling better buddy?

cheers!

ready to fight with php again, sir!

i allmost do the sticky thing.. it's working at 90%, just 90& because i can't make it work in the categories/articles listing.. it works ok when you create / edit the article, but you can't change from sticky or not with the green / red light.. i create a new function, but that's not the problem.. i don't know what the hell is happening..

i also create a new module called NEWSDESK_STICKY and i'm working to modify the newsdesk_listing.php because it just don't match with my site..

emiliano

icq 18981496 <-- moyashi do you have icq? or msn messenger? [email protected]

patagonia, argentina

@ emiliano

I'll try to catch you tonight. I only have AIM though. OSX isn't that friendly with the other services yet.

mod -- hehe ... love to see it :D

@ question

any body want no-login posting? I'm debating if this is a good thing or not. For me having registered users is a benefit, while having un-registered postings might reduce membership .... hmmm ....

@ update

working on the delete image with story thing right now. Next step will be more images. haha, going backwards in a sense ...

@ question

any body want no-login posting? I'm debating if this is a good thing or not. For me having registered users is a benefit' date=' while having un-registered postings might reduce membership .... hmmm ....

I think that's better with moderator or registred user.

Is it an option disable/enable in admin to keep posting somebody ?

Hi all,

I would like to add this nice contribution, but as there have been quite a few posting since the 1.3 came out, I like to know if anything else been added that the 1.4 is coming out?

Has anybody got the more than one language working online so I can see it?

Thanks

Salvo

HI Salvo,

Next version release will have a few more features. I want to keep them as a surprise for you all :D

@ news

However, v 1.4 will NOT have ... moderators/admins ... sorry unless soembody finds some mod in the contribs that I could fiddle with converting NewsDesk into a full forum type is not really worth it. I have thought of coding in an author's name area but ... it's sort of pointless since the same person is always posting :wink:

annoy posting .... I think I'm going to pass on that function. Too much of hassle to try to block a person who is try to slander your site. Imagine a nasty customer who is going to fill up your admin area with tons of review posts ... ugh ...

@ date

This release is taking much longer than I expected. I lost too much time trying to learn enough javascript to get a feature built in. I'm no currently aiming for a release with 2 weeks.

@thanks

Thanks to Emiliano ! hehe, Emiliano passed along some code for a new feature :D boy aren't we all gonna be happy NewsDesk'ers!

@ news

However, v 1.4 will NOT have ... moderators/admins ...

It's not important for me, is it just to answer your question about free-posting

when your futur version is released, I do the french translation

(i'm better in french than in english, to speak)

@talme

:oops: sorry about that.

Thanks for the offer again. I'll have to send you and Emiliano the next release before I post it. I hate being a bit off with translations.

@ translations.

Anybody else willing to add their language?

Would love to see ... Japanese, Chinese, German, etc :D