• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

NewsDesk v 1.3 Released!

moyashi

-- Review System Implemented!

-- More configuration settings for the admin area!

-- Latest News!

-- French translation by Talme!!!

control different viewing aspects of your News!

Don't want to show Latest News? No problem!

Check out all those options!!!

This version also takes care of the osC non-image blank browser image hopefully, I added checks into the code so that if no image exists for a catagory or Article nothing will show.

I've also added an update sql file for those who are updating. All this update sql file does is add a few new tables and wipes out the previous configuration table and then rebuilds it.

With this version the core of the NewsDesk is basically done.

Next version will include various features.

Sorry for the constant updates, it was just that I've been so caught up with the mod I got a bit carried away :oops:

Good Luck and happy NewsDesk Publishing!!

NewsDesk(934) / FAQDesk(1106) / OrderCheck(1168) :::

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

moyashi,

I was so bogged down in Version 1.2 errors that I un-installed it. I installed Version 1.3 and things went fine until I tried to view and got this error -

Warning: main(includes/languages/english/newsdesk_info.php) [function.main]: failed to create stream: No such file or directory in /www/m/mitchryder/htdocs/store/newsdesk_info.php on line 4

Fatal error: main() [function.main]: Failed opening required 'includes/languages/english/newsdesk_info.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /www/m/mitchryder/htdocs/store/newsdesk_info.php on line 4

This is a really great contribution. I hate to start with the errors again but can you just give me a push in the right direction?

Annette

I guess if you stare enough at something you can figure anything out :?

Now its just cosmetic stuff....

1. Headline type is black can't figure out how to change the color. The date changed but not the headline.

2. BOX_HEADING_NEWSDESK_LATEST shows as box header name on all pages except default.

Thanks,

Annette

1.) looked like you didn't have newsdesk_info.php in the proper location.

2.) define('BOX_HEADING_NEWSDESK_LATEST', 'Latest News'); <<< needs to be in the main language file ie; english.php

do you have NewsDesk up on the net yet or is it on an internal/development machine?

Good luck

:!: :oops:

Add these 2 lines to languages/english/newsdesk.php

define('TEXT_nd_startdate', 'Start Date:');

define('TEXT_date_format', 'Date formated as:');

oops, I cleaned up the language files a little too much.

sorry

newsdesk_info.php

line 108 <td class="main" valign="top"> (just forget the ">" in end)

to correct column bug

and Add these 2 lines

define('BOX_HEADING_NEWSDESK_CATEGORIES', 'Newsdesk');

define('BOX_HEADING_NEWSDESK_LATEST', 'Latest News');

in newsdesk_info.php, newsdesk_index.php

moyashi: what the hell have you done?

newsdesk 1.3 it's the greatest contribution i ever see!!! :D

thanks a lot for your help to the comunity...

altough there are minor code things to make the code similar to OSC standards... ie: TABLE_newsdesk to TABLE_NEWSDESK

and to make instalation easier, please pack the zip file with the correct folder name.. I know that this is really a pain in the ass for you.. but if the files packaged in the zip have only admin/whatever/somefile.php instead of newsdeskdirect1.3/admin/admin/whatever/somefile.php installing the contribution would more easy for many people...

well that's all, thanks again for this amazing contribution.. thanks!!!

patagonia, argentina

I installed the latest Newsdesk.

When I click on the language logo on my web, I get the following error (when displaying a newsdest item ) :

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax near '' at line 6

select p.newsdesk_id, p.newsdesk_date_added, p.newsdesk_status, p.newsdesk_image, pd.newsdesk_article_name, pd.newsdesk_article_description, pd.newsdesk_article_shorttext, pd.newsdesk_article_url, IF(s.status, s.specials_new_products_price,

etc.

Another thing : Is it normal that the product categories are displayed in the newsdesk box ?

If so, How does one add a news item in these ?

hey,

got the same error. Used to have the v1.1 but decided to upgrade. Only to find out that the "update.txt" doc isn't for people who were still using v1.1. Missed a lot of define statements here and there so I did the whole thing from scratch.

Got the admin part up and running without any probs, but my catalog gives this:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'MAX_DISPLAY_NEWSDESK_NEWS' at line 4

select p.newsdesk_id, pd.language_id, pd.newsdesk_article_name, pd.newsdesk_article_description, pd.newsdesk_article_shorttext, pd.newsdesk_article_url, p.newsdesk_image, p.newsdesk_date_added, p.newsdesk_last_modified, pd.newsdesk_article_viewed, p.newsdesk_date_available, p.newsdesk_status from newsdesk p, newsdesk_description pd WHERE pd.newsdesk_id = p.newsdesk_id and pd.language_id = "4" and newsdesk_status = 1 ORDER BY newsdesk_date_added DESC LIMIT MAX_DISPLAY_NEWSDESK_NEWS

on the front page :roll: Not so nice :wink:

any idea? I did the whole thing back from scratch again, deleted the tables and added the newsdesk.sql file again ... no difference... what's wrong with the MAX_DISPLAY_NEWSDESK_NEWS part?

It looks really good on the other sites! I want this too!!!!! :D

_____.:::.________###__________|/______

:(o o): . (o o) (o o)

ooO--(_)--Ooo-ooO--(_)--Ooo-ooO--(_)--Ooo-

@ Talme,

Thanks for posting the fix! I can't believe I missed that and with me being a tag fanatic.

@ emiliano,

I'm getting there. All new variables have been Capitalized and some of the ones I see that aren't too much of pain to change have been done. However there are still a bunch to go.

hmm, is having admin/blahblah and catalog/blabhblah that difficult? I was thinking about the case were folks have catalog/admin/blah and those who don't have admin in catalog. ugh ... let me think this over a bit more.

@deskdirect,

glad to hear you got it going. Have fun with all those configuration variatioins :wink:

@ MarkEt,

hmmm, I just fiddled and fiddled with my snapshot and newsdesk ... I did force the errors but ... that was after changing about 5 differnt locations of sql command calls. But I wasn't able to find a fix after 2 hours :oops:

Are you on a November snapshot by chance?

@ DicE

sooo sorry about that! Once again 2:30am uploads caught me blind-sided. You are right, I should've added that information.

As well as MarkEt are you on a November snapshot?

@ November snapshots.

I don't have a copy if anybody could point me to a download location I'll give it run myself. I think that there is a difference in osC code between November and December which is causing some folks problems.

IF it is feasible I'll check into that problem but with MS1 coming out I wonder if I'd be just wasting my time?

Any comments?

no prob man! :wink:

doing a great job as it is!

didn't mind doing the full install anyway...

btw I could supply you with the Dutch translation of both catalog and admin if you're interested.

I'm on a 20030203 snapshot. could that be the problem? I was forsed to upgrade since the snapshot I first used had bugs with the shipping and payment modules... so I just took the latest available...

you think you could get it fixed? I sure hope so... :D

good luck!

DicE

Hi DicE :D

OH yes, please, another language is always welcome. Add your name, site, company what ever you want to the bottom of the translation files. Then zip em up. I really want to give credit where it belongs!

UGHHHHHHHHHHH :evil:

Now that's evil! My snapshot is only 2 days newer.

I wish I were a programmer!!!!

MAX_DISPLAY_NEWSDESK_NEWS

is part of the configuration variables if you're not getting other errors of the similar sort things are strange, since I have about 30 such configuration variables in v 1.3.

Number 1.

Could you go into phpmyadmin and check this table.

newsdesk_configuration

I want to double check to see if that is in mysql at least.

Number 2.

The first 20 lines of catalog/includes/modules/newsdesk.php should look like this.

<!-- newsdesk //-->

<?php

// set application wide parameters

// this query set is for NewsDesk

$configuration_query = tep_db_query("select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from " . TABLE_NEWSDESK_CONFIGURATION . "");

while ($configuration = tep_db_fetch_array($configuration_query)) {

define($configuration['cfgKey'], $configuration['cfgValue']);

}

$newsdesk_var_query = tep_db_query(

'select p.newsdesk_id, pd.language_id, pd.newsdesk_article_name, pd.newsdesk_article_description, pd.newsdesk_article_shorttext, pd.newsdesk_article_url,

p.newsdesk_image, p.newsdesk_date_added, p.newsdesk_last_modified, pd.newsdesk_article_viewed,

p.newsdesk_date_available, p.newsdesk_status  from ' . TABLE_newsdesk . ' p, ' . TABLE_newsdesk_DESCRIPTION . '

pd WHERE pd.newsdesk_id = p.newsdesk_id and pd.language_id = "' . $languages_id . '" and newsdesk_status = 1 ORDER BY newsdesk_date_added DESC LIMIT ' . MAX_DISPLAY_NEWSDESK_NEWS);

If both number 1 and 2 check out fine something is really strange. IN that case just knock off "DESC LIMIT ' . MAX_DISPLAY_NEWSDESK_NEWS" and check if the mod runs. If not ????

could you get back to me on this?

Hi Moyashi!

thanks a lot for the great support.

checked out the code you gave. Did a Beyond Compare on it. IDENTICAL! Freaky isn't it?

So then I chopped of the "DESC LIMIT ' . MAX_DISPLAY_NEWSDESK_NEWS" part. A miracle happened... no more error on the starting page :D

I suppose this helps you any further? :? I know it doesn't help me to understand the problem... but I know I got this part working.

And what's even better... I added a category and a newspost... and it's working!!!

So what am I missing by removing part of the query back there?

The posts wont get sorted correctly or?

Hope you can find a solution. In the mean time I'm happy to've gotten this far!!!!!

ps: I'll keep you updated on the dutch translation. Now that it's working, I found some small problems that will need fixing first!

cya!

DicE

moyashi,

First, let me say once again, Newsdesk is awesome!

[quote}IF it is feasible I'll check into that problem but with MS1 coming out I wonder if I'd be just wasting my time?

You are not wasting your time! There are quite a few of us that have heavily modded Nov. snapshots. Doesn't seem like the developers of OSCommerce even with the MS1 release; will stop revising the product (not a bad thing) or have a final release anytime in the near future. Most of us just grab a snapshot, work at getting the contribs setup and hope for the best.

Right now, I am very satisfied with my store and seriously doubt that I will expend the time and hair (that I have pulled out in fustration) to upgrade any time soon!

Thanks again.

Annette

Hy , I have little bug with newsdesk 1.3

when I add new categorie, It display automatically on newsdesk in spite

I have in admin :

Display Category/Manufacturer Filter (0=disable; 1=enable) =0

:?

ugh, that was unexpected.

I've been feeling pretty sick the last 2 days ... (haha, maybe to many 3:30am nights working on NewsDesk).

I'll try to get to this soon as possible. It's just that I have this bad sinus cold and runny nose that it makes it hard to think properly.

:cry: