• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Going Live Shortly

Finishing up the last of my site testing before I go live later tonight.

This is the fourth redesign in five years of business. With our official re-launch Sept 5th.

Feel free to test the site, you will not be able to checkout as I am still testing orders on the sandbox account.

New site

http://www.eyekandeelingeriecanada.com

You can see the old design here

http://www.eyekandeelingerie.com

PS. Before you ask, This is NOT a template. Every piece of code is available in the contribution section.

not something I would leave out or miss.

I would amagine that IE 6 is not rendering the CSS div tags right.

Cheers

PS site is live now

You're nuts for just leaving it "as is" considering it doesnt work in one of the most commonly used browsers.. even though its an older version, people still use it. According to W3C 20% of all internet browsers still use IE6 where as another 20% use IE7 and 45% use firefox..the rest is chrome, safari and other random ones..

But are you really willing to just toss out the 3rd most largely used browser just because you dont want to try and fix it?!

Also, you are using the Playboy Bunny as a fav icon, which i am 99% sure is entirely and completely illegal

I dont really like the placement of the products when laid out in the "shop by price" or "shop by brand" the images are to the left ofthe descriptions and it just looks sloppy. I would keep the layout of the product listings the same or similar through out.. When it changes it just get confusing and looks like you just decided half way through that you went a different way

Lots of your images look grainy.. if you want them to be that large, then get higher res pictures. Also, whats up with this? (click) also, on that product info, why is there a small thumb of the same image underneath it? when you click on it, it brings me to an empty page.

Those smaller thumbnails seem to be on every page but clicking them just confuses me more

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

First, MISS lindsayanng who are you to ASSUME that I was just going to leave it! I simply made a comment stating that it must not be reading my div tags correctly. NOWHERE on my post did I say oh well who cares leave out the 20% who are behind times!

I'm looking into this, I appreciate that FIMBLE brought the problem to my attention and I will try to fix this!

Second, the Playboy logo was just carried over from our other store and hasn't been changed to our logo yet. I DO KNOW that you need written permission from Playboy to use their logos and/or trademarks as I SELL Playboy products! I am NOT stupid!

wow.. chill out. Seriously..

You asked.. i answered.. how am i suposed to know that your playboy fav icon was carried over from obviously some other illegally used website??

WHy look for the negative? well.. thats what CRITIQUE is.. to look at a work and point out the faults and the way in which it can be improved.

get a grip.. no one's here to pat you on the bac and tell you how good you did..thats not really what critiques are for and those kinds of comments dont really help with the direction of IMPROVING your website.

You might not be stupid, but you are clearly overly sensitive and uneducated on what a critique generally entails.

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

It doesn't say "Critique", it says "Feedback". So maybe sometimes a pat on the back is just the ticket, especially when it's a kick-a** website like this one!

I think it looks awesome! The layout, colors, buttons and pictures and everything are wicked. (Can't think of a better word right now). I'm not sure how big your operation is, but it looks like a totally professional site and store. I'm jealous!

There is very little that I can see that should be changed... but I might take the item numbers off in the detailed product descriptions, just because no one needs 'em but you. (Or do they?)

Spelling nazi here! Not that I'm going through every page, but if I see 'em... you know.

On the Prestige Club page it says "Prestige number (found on the back off your card)"

Body Stockings category is listed twice under "Elegant Moments", as are some other sub-categories.

On your home party page, it says "Unite States"

Everything I looked at said it was "out of stock"... and some of the pics are missing - some gloves and one of the garter belts that I noticed.

It is beautiful though. You should be proud. It looks great, and any changes will obviously be handled as you see fit! My cousin lives in Vancouver, and I'm going to tell her to come see you. (She's a pervert. haha!! Just kidding)

:D Nicole

wow.. I didnt know that all feedback had to be positive and useless!! THANKS FOR OPENING MY EYES!!

This website isnt horrible.. but its not KICK ASS.. its just a pink website that needs some work.. but clearly you ladies are just a little soft around the edges and cant handle true and honest FEEDBACK.

Sites like this look "totally professional" because everyone around here is used to looking at the crap people call CUSTOM websites./

wow.. I didnt know that all feedback had to be positive and useless!! THANKS FOR OPENING MY EYES!!

This website isnt horrible.. but its not KICK ASS.. its just a pink website that needs some work.. but clearly you ladies are just a little soft around the edges and cant handle true and honest FEEDBACK.

Sites like this look "totally professional" because everyone around here is used to looking at the crap people call CUSTOM websites./

Most of us don't spend all our time here, sweetheart. If I think it's kick ass, who are you to say it isn't? Jesus, you can't even let some else post an opinion without arguing with them.

There is nothing useless about pointing out typos. Except to you...

The previous design is good, however there was a lot wrong with how our catalog database was setup and we had a lot of unused code in there from our past website.

We choose to go with a more clean and less cluttered look and to add new functionality to the site to bring us in line with many of the top competitors in our industry.

Starting from scratch allowed us to clean up the database and work in a new SEO structure to increase indexing.

We could have not posted to the forum, and not looked for feedback. But its easy to overlook small things like spelling and the CSS issue that IE6 has.

There's no need for you (lindsayanng) to even be on this post any more. You gave your opinion, we heard it now enough is enough. No need to be calling anyone a twit!

Thanks for the comments steelthings we'll fix the errors :) thanks for letting us know. I appreciate it.

As for the stock we are doing bulk uploads with easypopulate and will be going back to update the stock once we do a new inventory count.

Cheers

looks very nice :) and suits the site.. couple of things though..

• your images are slow to load on the product list pages. A small image is 20-30k, making for a 300-500 image load on a page. Thumbnails should be nearer 4-6k on an image that size.
  • The product page layouts need some kind of sectioning.. all the text runs into each other, and its difficult to tell at a glance where the product description starts or ends, the delivery info starts, and then you have 'prodtc added on' center aligned on the bottom of it all with no margin on top. It just looks wrong.
  • Your SSL seal is placed wrong. This is a confidence item and needs to be prominent in the template. It also makes you footer look strange where it is.
  • The products description pages lose all the left nav. This causes an extra clickthrough when trying to navigate back and forth.
  • You need a gap between the sub category list (left nav) and the 'shop by price' etc, as it makes the menu kinda confusing.

After browsing around some prominent online stores, I have decided to remove the SSL seal.

We will now redirect customer to a link in the footer, and the seal will be provided there.

Before someone comments on this being a mistake.

Remember that there has been a great deal of literature educating consumers on website site security and protecting themselves online.

Because of this consumers are more internet savvy and dont require the presents of the SSL seal on every page of a site

utterly utterly wrong. Because of the bad press of e-commerce and fraud, site security is one of the most imprtant factors in the success of any online shop. Removed the seal and lose your orders. Its that simple.

you think people are ging to search round your site looking for a seal? no of course they're not. Give it to them on every page so they dont have to bother. Its VERY important, and any ecommerce siteowner who overlooks it is mad.

The better the seal, the better your orders. The more prominent the seal, the better the orders. Why do you think people us shopsafe logos or ISIS logos. Why do you think a verisign seal (the most recognised seal out there) is so expensive?

With regards the 'prominent online stores'... large well known shops dont need seals as the name speaks for them.. yours doesnt. Trust me , you need a seal. Preferably an active one (ie hover over for info) and not just a logo.

I'd say that removing the seal could be a problem - it rather depends upon other factors I feel (such as price, quality, customer service). See how it goes - easy to add back in if you feel it's needed.

I, for one, would not not use a shop just because it has no seal. Same for https in fact! Doesn't bother me not having https either. Perhaps I am in the minority?

no.. you're not in the minority, as you have to assume all potential customers to an e-commerce site are daft and dont know about such things. However, the only reason not to care about SSL is lack of knowledge.

I would not buy from a site without an SSL.. if they cant be bothered to set the shop up properly, or dont want to, then there are plenty of shops that have. In reality, the risk of credit card details being stolen by a third part during transaction are low.. but this is no reason to overlook it.

It lacks any thought or professionalism not to use SSL... it refelcts badly on the shop and company in my eyes.

Look at it this way.. two shops.. two products.. similar price.

One has an SSL, a site seal, and looks like a professional outlet.

One has no SSL OR no seal, site looks like its been knocked up in ten minutes (and it will have been, if they cant be bothered to implement standard procedures).

Which one would you give your money to?

You want to sell online? simple rule.. make your shop as good as it can be, rise above the others out there. Complacency will lose you orders... its as simple as that.

As an example i've recently restuctured a well established site for someone as it was clearly a mess, and they'd lost control of their product structure. The result by doing a revamp and just rearranging some products and categories was an increase from £20,000 sales a month to £35,000 . Admittedly that was a major change inthe site, but even small changes such as an SSL seal will make a difference.. why ignore it?

This thread is so much nicer now the moderaters have edited it. :P

Back to the SSL discussion.

Adibranch your increase in sales is because of the changes you have made to the site and I'd amagine optimizing you SEO. And not the inclusion of the seal on your site.

I have to agree with Burt on this one, consumers will buy first on price, and now that I think about, as a customer I dont look for a ssl seal. I look at price and shop around a bit to find it cheaper.

In five years I have never had a customer tell me that they did not buy from me because there was no nice animated ssl seal on every page of my sites.

I think the bottom line here is you need to know your demographics. We sell mostly to women, women buy more on emotion, that "OH my god I love this, I got to have it!" mentality.

They shop around coming back to most sites three or more time before placing an order.

And our analytics prove this with more sales come after the three visit to our sites.

So on that note, the ssl seal is staying off every page of the site (might find a spot for it on the checkout page like the old site)

adi - how do you know that any of your increased sales are because of the lack or non-lack of a seal. I'm definitely with Alex on this, I have never actively looked for a seal on a website. I shop on price and customer service.

Your example is flawed as you are giving one shop a 10 minute design, with no SSL, no seal.

Go for this:

Product is £100. Shop A and B are identical looking other than shop B has no seal and no ssl. Shop B is also 10% cheaper. Where do I shop? Well, that's not a perfect example for me either, but you get the drift I'm sure.

I also look for a particular payment method, which means I don't have to give my details out ;)

the site stated was an example of how minor changes can affect sales. i'm marketing around 20 OSC sites for clients and have been for some time.

You're still kinda missing the point. You dont look for the seal, no one does, but you SEE it.

the addition of the seal is further enhancement of the SSL. Granted, only a small percentage will see and recognise it., and as such the seal doesnt necessarily increase sales overall, but it gives additional confidence in the site. Confidence in the site and therefore the company is known to increase conversions. This is basic stuff.

Everyone knows that SSL is an important part of any commerce website, there is no disputing that.

But having a seal on your site will increase sale, in my opinion thats just a sales pitch put together by the CA selling the certificate.

As a retailer Visa doesn't send out its stickers and say "put this sticker next to the cash register and your sales will increase 65%". as a retailer you just know that processing credit cards will increase sales.

And as a consumer you dont go into a store and look for the visa sticker at the cash register, and if its not there you dont just not shop there.

You look around, if you find something you like you buy it. The lack of the sticker did not infulence your purchase.

The same theory goes with having a seal or lack of.

I tell you what if you can find a university study (university study because it is impartial) that proves having a SSL seal on an ecommerce website increases sales, I will put it back on every page.

read it again.. i didnt say it increases sales in my last post.. i said it increases confidence . Site confidence is a BIG player at the moment.

If you have an SSL which carries a seal.. there simply is no reason not to have it. Its part of the overall package of portraying yourself as a professional outlet... part of your branding.

Lets take your visa example.. of course the visa logo doesnt encourage you to shop, you assume the retailer takes credit cards. But, where you see the lgo, you know the retailer is using a credit card system. This isn't so important nowadays of course as they all do, but think back to when they first started. A visa logo was a reinfocement that the company took credit Cards. Great says mr 1960's.. i've got a credit card, i'll shop here.

Now, apply this to the SSL seal. The SSL seal reassures the visitor you're using a reputable SSL. Hey says Mr customer, i want to shop at a site with confidence that i know my details are safe, this shop looks like it might be that... so i'll shop here ! I wont shop at that one over there that doesnt have SSL... or does it have it ? and i just cant see it?.. maybe i'll check when i get to the checkout.. nah maybe i wont bother at all.

Just to prove the point of CA using site seals as a selling point.

Verisign's info page on their site seal (this is from the VeriSign Secured Seal Research Review Guide) , uses a study that they sponsored with the particiates being picked by them

this is the direct quote from the footnotes

“VeriSign 2008 Brand Research,” Synovate/GMI, September 2008. This study was sponsored by VeriSign and was comprised of online shoppers at least 18 years old. U.S. respondents were recruited from Synovate/GMI’s online consumer panel.

And the other study they used says nothing about SSL site seals.

Quote "These survey results show that simply by making security and privacy policies more visible on their sites, merchants can begin to win back the trust of wary online shoppers"

Archived