• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

site review !

adibranch

heavily modified OSC, a LOT of custom SEO work in there too. please ignore everything below 'featured product' on the home page content, as its put there by the site owners (but i'm slowly weeding it out with automated stuff). Everything else is work by me and still in progress !! currently attracting around 20,000 visitors per month, 90% from search engines.

www dot laddersalesdirect dot co dot uk

what you reckon? layout was revamped about a month ago to this new one.

I like it.

Wheres the "powered by oscommerce"?

I like the shop for i can easily find what i need, all information is available, however some remarks:

- i don't like the mix of types of buttons, text and boxes. For example the shoppingcart box is completely different then all the rest; why???

- the searchbox upperleft is not aligned properly in Y

- productinfo; don't like the lightbox; its nice in design but not really practical; it's slow and doesn't have a lot of added value (to my opinion offcourse), i prefer some js to change the main image on mouserollover of the thumbs. Then a simple click to enlarge of the main image only.

PS: I really like how you did the top categories (box); well done!!!

Paul

I like the shop for i can easily find what i need, all information is available

navigation was the main aim with the revamp.. previously it was terrible, and changing the nav to the current one has actually doubled sales conversions !

- i don't like the mix of types of buttons, text and boxes. For example the shoppingcart box is completely different then all the rest; why???

shopping cart is different colour to stand out from the other infoboxes. Shopping cart infoboxes can be easily missed by the eye, risking losing visitors after adding an item. The inspiration for that one was stolen from the prestashop ajax cart box. Admittedly, a darker box may not be the way to go, but it seems to work.

What other mix of buttons etc do you not like though?

- the searchbox upperleft is not aligned properly in Y

tell me about it.. the vane of my life :) the quick search box is notoriously difficult to align properly when using an image for the button. When i did the revamp the positioning went wrong and i have yet to sort it out.

- productinfo; don't like the lightbox; its nice in design but not really practical; it's slow and doesn't have a lot of added value (to my opinion offcourse), i prefer some js to change the main image on mouserollover of the thumbs. Then a simple click to enlarge of the main image only.

i agree with that.. unfortunately lightbox is still quite fashionable, and visitors almost expect to see it now on an ecommerce site. I dont like rollover enlarged images as they are accidentally invoked when moving the mouse round, and this causes frustration when it appears over text. Having a clickable image i think is still the way to go, as visitors have to want to see a bigger image before they click it, so you know its intentional.

The ideal situation is to have a decent sized image in the first place with no rollovers or click action, but obviously content width is an issue then.

PS: I really like how you did the top categories (box); well done!!!

Paul

Thanks !

I like it.

Wheres the "powered by oscommerce"?

this is so far beyond MS2, and originally based on OSCmax, but way past that also now. I know technically i should have it though, and may put it backin at some point.

problem is, you need to have it in order to get feedback.

In addition to the forum rules, live stores discussed in this channel must be powered by osCommerce Online Merchant and have the "Powered by osCommerce" text displayed on the site. Not only is the osCommerce solution being used, but valuable feedback will also be presented by the osCommerce community.

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

I designed some very very heavily modified oscommerce site, and I still have the powered by osc on them.

Give credit to the original code.

PS I know how to fix your search alignment issue.

Sadly can't give feedback on that until the "Powered by oscommerce" is displayed

why are people still giving feedback on a site where there is no "powered by osc"

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

why are people still giving feedback on a site where there is no "powered by osc"

If this part of the forum was monitored and "policed" like it should be this thread wouldn't exist and that question wouldn't be necessary.

;)

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

no need to get snippy.. just pointing out that if they make EVERYONE ELSE do it.. well.. everyone should do it.. back when.. no one of these threads would get by..

but who cares right.. just anyone can ask for feedback on here now and this forum can get spammed with hundreds of non osc stores

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

so blame the forum, project owners and admin, which, lets face it is pretty appalingly managed and maintained, and always has been.

But seriously, lets take it further and off topic. OSC is only now maintained and improved and managed by its community. Any updates or official releases are a joke and way way behind anything thats going on in the active community. V3 is supposedly always just around the corner but never appears, and doesnt seem very comprehensive to me. OSCmax or others are soooo far ahead of any updates of current version of anything released officially, better maintained and with a soild community base (and decent forums).

Is it any wonder people are going off track and not acknowledging OSC any more?

I've got around 15-20 OSC out there, and i cant remember the last time i ever installed it from scratch... but it was probably at least five years ago. I just use the last version of my updated one.. what is there to attract anyone to download the ms2 now?

i assume you mean on the product list pages? its a contrib to list products by column, the number of which you set in admin. I've then just installed a nested div in each table cell to display it how i want. The category pages are slightly different and use floated divs to present them in a coumn, as those pages dont use tables.

Ideally i'd scrap the tables on the product listing pages, as they're only containers, but i havent got round to doing it in a way thats good enough yet.

• 4 weeks later...

The site looks good. If I had one comment it would be that they symmetry is off.

You have all those boxes on the left and just a few items on the right (column).

Decrease the lenght on the required vertical scroll, I would move "Articles and Info"

and "Previous Customer" to the right column.

That would make the columns pretty much even and cut the length of your page

by an inch or two.

-Jos

Archived