• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Allow Guest Reviews

dreamscape

Hey all.... I've been sitting on this one for awhile... I change my OSC back in November to allow guests to write reviews. After seeing it requested alot on the forums, I've decided to pack it up as a contrib.

This mod will allow guests to write reviews. If a user is not logged in, they will get 2 input boxes (for first and last name) when writing a review. If they are logged in, the name is filled in for them. I reccomend using the "review approval" system with this mod.

It's been so long since I've changed my OSC install to do this, that I cannot remember if there were any language files or any other files I changed for this. I think what is included is the only file I changed, but if you find an error, please let me know ASAP.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,985

Enjoy!

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

Sweet contribution.

I've been thinnking of doing this myself to try to increase the number of reviews we get.

Might have to keep a close eye on thme though, or install the review approval contrib to make sure no one posts a bunch of trash.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

yeah I've installed the review approval with mine to keep "trash" out and edit things like spelling/grammar if neccessary...

in fact, after a users posts review, it shows them the message "You're review will show online within 24-48 hours."... I didn't take that out since I figured alot of people would want to use the review approval with this... it is easy enough to change too if you decide not to use a review approval system too.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

• 7 months later...

Hi there. I installed this contribution and it works fine. The problem is in the name displayed on the catalog side for guests: when name and last name with apostrophes are inserted (i.e. D'Amato) they are then displayed with a slash (D\'Amato) which is not very nice to see...In the admistration panel the names are ok. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance

bittercreek

Edited by bittercreek

• 2 years later...

I just installed this, and it does not display the guest name after submitting the review. I have developed my own "Better Review System" that I am using, which displays the customer's name (first name only), then their given location. (So it shows "Review by NAME from LOCATION"). When I tried out a test of the guest reviews contrib, it displays in product_reviews.php: "Review by from LOCATION".

The problem is that the customer's name is not being inserted into the database. I have inserted the code per the directions (omitting the last name parts, however). This is not a conflict of the BRS contrib either.

Can anyone help? Or does anyone know if I can simply have it display "Guest" or "Anonymous" when a reviewer is not logged in?

• 3 years later...

I am using this contribution, however there's a bug with it.

A customer writes a review without registering.

Then they decide to purchase and create an account. When that person gets to the checkout system, the cart loses the contents. How can this be fixed?