• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Request help geting listed on LiveShops

AllThingsTrendy

My site ( www.AllThingsTrendy.com ) was once listed in on LiveShops and now it is gone. I resubmitted a few weeks back and have yet to hear anything. I wanted to help the program, so I spent several hours looking through the shops in our target category and reporting the MANY which were either not working/accessible or not OSC based.

Can anyone tell me how the program is monitored for new submissions and reports of invalid sites? I do not see where any action has been taken on either my submission or the sites reported. I believe my site may not have been accepted because I forgot to add the "Powered by osCommerce" credit. I did not realize this requirement until creating this forum post. I have now correct this. Should I resubmit or can someone let me know the process for reconsideration?

Thanks and appreciate any advice.

David

Anthony David

AllThingsTrendy.com

My site ( www.AllThingsTrendy.com ) was once listed in on LiveShops and now it is gone.

That's not true:

http://shops.oscommerce.com/directory/goto,11748

I wanted to help the program, so I spent several hours looking through the shops in our target category and reporting the MANY which were either not working/accessible or not OSC based.

Sorry to tell you but that is a waste of time. I don't know where that info goes to but it sure is not in a place a team member can find it back.

Jan,

Thanks! What category did you find us in? I have looked and looked. Perhaps they have us under a country other than US.

It is certainly disappointing that the feedback function appears to be ignored when we attempt to report shops listed in Live Shops which are not osC based, broken links, or under construction. Certainly all of the bad links (I estimate 25%+ in the apparel category) discourage browsers from getting beyond the first page or two. It would seem that the osC team would want to keep the list clean.

Now that we have our site listed in LiveShops, we are looking for any feedback from all osC forum participants on our site: www.AllThingsTrendy.com

Thanks,

David

Anthony David

AllThingsTrendy.com

I think your site needs some work.. I can see where you are going, but you seem to have only gotten half way there.

Your site shoudl be fixed width and centered.. its too wide and makes it look unfinished..

You have too much text on your index page. No one reads that. Instead take the main points that you want to make and create graphics like little inner website advertisements. Then link those images to the areas that make the most sense.. People click on graphics, NOT on the text.. If you get all of that removed and replaced with images that fit the theme of your website, you will be MUCH better off.

Those images of handbags on the top right of your site look like an after thought.. and they arent very high quality.. you should either create a more cohesive graphic or remove them.. theres no NEED for them to be there.

the width of your left column seems to be aboout 20px too wide.. AND when you click on the flyout those are ridiciulously wide.. I mean HUGE.

Is there a reason you picked that army green to go with that yellow?? It doesnt seem very "girl" or chic.. its rather drab.. maybe replace that green with a light lime or a pale lime green.. something more girly..

again.. when I click on the product categories I get a ridiculous amount of text that NO ONE will read. You have 5 seconds at max to catcgh someone's attention.. remove all the text and replace with an image. To me, the text reminds me of a used car salesman who relies only on his talking to sell the car and NOT on the product.. You want to showcase your products and your store.. and the way to do that is by showing off how great those two things are.. not talking about it.

add the "Product Listing Thumbnail Enhacement" addon by Spooks. It will give your product listing page a more professional look..

and now that I am looking at your store.. I might ditch the yellow background completely and go with a white background and use a lime green header/highlight color.. the yellow is looing more and more depressing and drab the longer I get into your website.. Also, if you ahve a white background, you wont need to cutout your images and photoshop them on the same color background.. doing this photoshoping is NOT idea because its really REALLY obvious that that is what you did.. and it doesnt look professional

On your product info page.. I like the thought you put into formatting that page instead of just writing a lot more text like more people do.. but i think theres more work you can do there.

You have an addon installed that gives you multiple images per prodct.. thats AWESOME, but isntead of the PREVIOUS and NEXT buttons, I think that smaller thumbnails of each picture would be better. There is an addon that does this and its a MUCH better mutli picture addon.. I wish i could remember the name (if i come across it i will come back)

When i was on the frog broach, I clicked on "View Product in new window" and it showed me a dragon fly broach! THATS BAD!!! Also, the placement of that text is not good.. if you install that addon i suggested, it will fix that issue for you

my point is..

Your store is called ALL THINGS TRENDY but your design is far from trendy.. So get it there.. and if you cant, hire someone to help you. Putting money into a website only helps if you have the right designer.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Lindsay,

Thanks so much for your input and advice. It is great that you take so much time to provide input to others.

We are currently working on several modifications which will cover a portion of your recommendations. We expect to have these live within the next two weeks. I'll update the post to let you know when this is complete. Would love to hear comments.

David

Anthony David

AllThingsTrendy.com

Archived