www.toughbookuniverse.com

EJK

Review the site!  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you love it or hate it?

• Love it
    • Hate it
    • Meh

Hey guys my name is Eric and I've been developing this site using wordpress, oscommerce, and the wp.osc package for over 6 months. It's been a HUGE learning experience for me, and I think you'll enjoy the result. There have been many hurdles along the way, such as trying to add any contribution !

Anyway, for those of you that aren't familiar with wp.osc, it creates one database and the front end (wordpress) and the backend (oscommerce) feed off of that single database. The amount of work that went into "skinning" oscommerce to match the wordpress side was grueling, and here is the final product.

www.toughbookuniverse.com will take you to the wordpress front end. You can click on "shop toughbook universe" at the top to view the oscommerce or go directly to http://www.toughbookuniverse.com/shop/ .

Please let me know what you guys think.

The shop looks nice .. (In IE that is , its "out of wack" in Firefox)

Also you should add some sort of meta tags and seo url add-ons... , see links in my signature for tips...

Toyice - thanks man I've been working on getting the breadcrumb to work in Firefox. I modified the the breadcrumb "separator" (>>) so it would work with my navigation menu that mirrors the wordpress site, but can't figure out why it's not translating into firefox. I'll continue to work on solvign this little quirk.

Thanks.

Its really bad in IE 7 on my PC. The entire right sidebar is pushed underneath the main content.. its not just the breadcrumb that has an issue. I suggest going to browsershots.com and having a look for yourself. I'm 90% sure the reason is that the sidebar box and the main content box combined is larger than your container box.. You need to make your sidebar smaller..

Overall, a nice site. I like the integration with wordpress, i have been working on that as well, and your product info is nice - but i do think it can use some work.

You have a LOT of info on the product pages, so maybe you can consider some type of tabbed browsing.. So this way the user and show the info they want, and hide others.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Hey Lindsay-

Great site over at browsershots.org ! A new favortie in my list for sure. Anyway, I can't seem to replicate the problem you're having with it. Even at the browsershots website, It looks fine to me. I wonder what could possibly be going on ?

Looks bad on my Mac/Firefox 3.03... perhaps the category headings are too large?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

GROUCHO (1895-1977)

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone wants to take a look again in firefox I think I've solved the problem. Some bad formatting including a missing li tag was what did it. Please don't hesitate to comment on this store guys, I want the feedback good or bad !

Much better.. I think that your large images could do well with a lightbox or AT MINIMUM a popup window.. right now it opens to a large new tab, which looks unfinished.

I do feel like your sidebar needs some formatting.. it looks like stock wordpress.. formatting it is easy becuse its a simple <ul><li> format.. I wold remove the bullets and maybe add a small image or just a different color..

are you planning on adding more products and more categories?

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Much better.. I think that your large images could do well with a lightbox or AT MINIMUM a popup window.. right now it opens to a large new tab, which looks unfinished.

I do feel like your sidebar needs some formatting.. it looks like stock wordpress.. formatting it is easy becuse its a simple <ul><li> format.. I wold remove the bullets and maybe add a small image or just a different color..

are you planning on adding more products and more categories?

Yeah I'm moving on it slowly but surely. I'll check out some solutions for the pop up window idea. Thanks for checking it out.

okay first off i'm really really confused as to why you've integrated the shop into WP and not just had it as a seperate site area. The shop appears to not benefit at all from this.

Second, your shop looks like a blog.. i know thats intentional but if you're intending to sell to the general public then you need the site to look like what it is. Are you wishing to attract new customers or just ones via your blog? If its the former, then this simply wont work. If its the latter you should be okay.

sorry.. i'm blunt sometimes.. but i cant see you selling much with the shop in this format.

the general reason for using the wp-oscommerce plugin is tp be able to easily skin your osc install just like you do your wp blog. You can apply templates easily and that is very cool to those who arent big into designing and stuff like that.

Also, some people intend on having a blog and sell things as a supplimenbtal income. If his ACTUAL goal is to blog about technology and then on the side sell some of that tech. to his readers, this is PERFECT

Some blogs have more readers than most stores have buyers.. so if you can maintain a readership and then turn those readers into buyers by making them trust your opinions and what you have to say, then you should DEFINITELY do it.

People can come to trust his ideas and input through reading his blog, chances are they came across the blog by searching for reviews about toughbooks.. they read, enjoy his reviews, and then find that he actually SELLS some of these books.. well, half the work is done because you already gained trust by offering up good sound advice.. AND you told them which items to buy.. so there you have it

THAT is generally the reason behind wp-oscommerce

Archived