• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Q: can a product belong to two or more categories?

I would like to add the same product to one or more categories, is that possible?

Example, say that you have a category "Flowers" and another category "Seed", then I would like to add the same product to both categories.

This would really help customers to find what they are looking for, even if they are looking in a categories close to each other.

/Fred

There is a Copy option when sitting on the file for copying a product as linked or duplicate and where you want to place it.

A Linked copy has to be to another category and is basically the same product so that changes from either category reflect in the other.

A Duplicate product is a seperate product that can be copied to the same or different category and starts with all of the same settings as the orignal product except for attributes.

Thanks for the tips!

There is one thing though, when I use Link Copy, select another category for the linked products and click copy I am getting back to main category page. When I check in the new category nothing is there.

I am using OSC 2.2 (December 9'th I think).

Basically, there should be a new record in "products_to_categories" after the copy link operation, right? When I manually add a new record everything seems OK. Is this a flaw in the OSC version I've got or is it a bug?

/Fred

Sounds like you have a bug ... :shock:

When using either Copy as Linked or Duplicate you should be sitting on that product after the copy is complete so you can edit it or make changes.

Strange, after I manually added a link product to the db the admin part started to work ... I do use cache, this might have caused this flaw.

Anyway, now everything is working. Thank you!

/Fred

When you copy as a "duplicate", it seems to default to "out of stock" and will not show on the product page until you either add stock or change the red light to green in admin.

HTH

jLee

Archived