• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

A CSS based Menu Support Thread

gaaalmp

can you please post a demo of this menu?? most people dont like to install a menu without seeing its possibilities out of the box. Is it a flyout/drop down?? Verticle/horizontal?? What is it?

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Yeah I figured that when I was posting but I can't facilitate a demo at this stage, as soon as I can I will. In the mean time people can take a look at the screenshots and try it on their non-production site if they want to give it a go. Even install stock Oscommerce again on a home server / separate database which I assume most people that are developing sites on here have one or the other.

It's a drop down vertical menu just like the OSCommerce one - same functionality. I haven't changed it. Just wanted some code that utilises the power of CSS to change the appearance as I please easily.

I tested it cross browser and works for all of the major 5-6 browsers. Validated the HTML as well and all passed with 0 errors.

It may not be for everyone but some people might have the same train of thought as me and I'm sure they can utilise it and even develop it to make it better.

Rgds

George

i have problems wiht search.php in advanced search link.

this is the line

<?php echo BOX_HEADING_SEARCH . '<br>' . BOX_SEARCH_TEXT . '<br><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH) ;?>"><b>' . BOX_SEARCH_ADVANCED_SEARCH ;?></b></a>

i have problems wiht search.php in advanced search link.

this is the line

And the problem is?

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

error with link buy now solving

change this line

<?php echo BOX_HEADING_SEARCH . '<br>' . BOX_SEARCH_TEXT . '<br><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH) ;?>"><b>' . BOX_SEARCH_ADVANCED_SEARCH ;?></b></a>

for this

<?php echo'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH) . '">' . BOX_SEARCH_ADVANCED_SEARCH ;?>

now linked my advanced search file

Can I ask how this is related to http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6886 ? and why someone would post this here?

It does'nt, but whats more his 'solution' is odd, a buy now link that goes to search!!!! :blink:

Oh well, it takes all sorts!! :rolleyes:

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not working This side!..

No Expand/Collapse work..

only color shows..

and Pls George..Rewrite the documentation

i m sry but its not upto the mark...

Have you got it to work yet by any chance?? I'm going to test this thing out.. because reallly i have no other options :D

This is the closest thing that I've seen for what I am trying to accomplish.. and i've posted up questions in the forum buy yeaa right like somone is going to want to help design something like that :lol:

Well, I hope this works Mark! I will keep you all posted

Windows Phone 7 Forum | Tricks, Tips, Hacks, Apps, and Games for your Windows Phone 7!

Have you got it to work yet by any chance?? I'm going to test this thing out.. because reallly i have no other options :D

This is the closest thing that I've seen for what I am trying to accomplish.. and i've posted up questions in the forum buy yeaa right like somone is going to want to help design something like that :lol:

Well, I hope this works Mark! I will keep you all posted

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Jaskaran I apologise for not getting back to you but ive been off the forums for a little while.

I will rewrite doco as soon as I can. I will endevour to have a drag/drop folder over a stock OSC store so that you can see it in action. Time permitting.

It works but I agree the documentation may not be 100% clear - my bad. It has been on the back of my mind for a while, just need to devote some time to it.

Do you have a CSS coding issue?

What can I do to help?

From your comments I can not work out what is your exact problem. Comments are too vague and no outputs.

Please be more specific and I will try and help you get it going.

George

Hi all,

Due to popular demand of 2 people, :huh: I have released v1.1.

What's New in v1.1 you ask?

• New documentation designed to be easier to 'read' and 'follow'.
  • An example CSS menu that can be dropped into a clean osC store with no configuration.

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6886

Would be great to get some feedback.

George

Hello George,

I will be taking this for a test drive and will provide you feedback as soon as I get a chance to put it to the test. Off the top though, does this menu automatically pickup new categories/subcategories or does this need to be hardcoded? I'm assuming it does this automatically according to what categories/subcategories are created in the admin.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hello George,

I will be taking this for a test drive and will provide you feedback as soon as I get a chance to put it to the test. Off the top though, does this menu automatically pickup new categories/subcategories or does this need to be hardcoded? I'm assuming it does this automatically according to what categories/subcategories are created in the admin.

Hi Bill,

Depends what category you add and where.

If you add another new parent category called Books. Menu will be:

Hardware

Software

DVD Movies

Books <--- Books will have a new class. I.e class=button21. There will be no CSS code for Books class.

So yes this will need to be added in your stylesheet. Im not sure how and if it is possible to automatically create code for stylesheets on the fly.

If you add a sub category for example under Software called E-cart it will have the right CSS code in the stylesheet already defined. For example. class=item2

Action

Simulation

Strategy

E-cart <--- It will use the same class as the 3 subcategories above in its parent category Software.

Hope this makes sense.

Look forward to your comments.

George

• 2 months later...

Great contribution however is it possible to set the active button within the menu to a different colour.

I've changed the CSS settings for the menu to not use any images but to use colours, what I would like to do is set the active button to a different colour but for the life of me I can't work out to do this.

css for the button is:

.button31 {

display: block;

font-family: Tahoma;

font-size: 11px;

list-style: none;

padding: 0;

margin: 0;

margin-top: 2px;

background-color: #0093D6;

height: 17px;

color: ffffff;

padding-bottom: 2px;

text-indent: 4px;

}

.button31:hover {

background-color: #abd1ef;

What I would like is when you click on the button and it brings up the sub menu the button, the button stays #abd1ef.

Is this possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Great contribution however is it possible to set the active button within the menu to a different colour.

I've changed the CSS settings for the menu to not use any images but to use colours, what I would like to do is set the active button to a different colour but for the life of me I can't work out to do this.

Try using the active pseudo-class.

The :active pseudo-class adds a style to an element that is activated.

Active, visited, unvisited, or when you mouse over a link, can all be displayed in different ways.

Note: a:hover MUST come after a:link and a:visited in the CSS definition in order to be effective!

Note: a:active MUST come after a:hover in the CSS definition in order to be effective!

.button3:active {
background-color: #000000;
}

Hi,

Thank you for this contribution it sounds good but mine doesn't work...

My oscommerce version is 2.2ms2. Is it why?

I my category shows

http://mydomain.com/store/index.php-------->catetory1http://mydomain.com/storeindex.php------------continue....

When I change back original category.php it working fine.

Please help me!

Thank you.

Best regards,

Satomi

Hi,

Thank you for this contribution it sounds good but mine doesn't work...

My oscommerce version is 2.2ms2. Is it why?

I my category shows

http://mydomain.com/store/index.php-------->catetory1http://mydomain.com/storeindex.php------------continue....

When I change back original category.php it working fine.

Please help me!

Thank you.

Best regards,

Satomi

Hi Satomi,

I am not sure that I understand your problem, but I'll have a dig.

Firstly not sure what category.php is? The file in question should be \includes\boxes\categories.php.

What is the exact error you have? Is it cosmetic or functional?

I don't use 2.2ms2 although from my understanding the files should be the same. So it shouldn't be a problem based on this assumption.

Do you have a modified store? If so you may want to use a compare program like Beyond compare to check the differences in your files to that of "A CSS based menu" and that of 2.2ms2 and 2.2rc2a.

My reccomendation is to try and get this working on a stock clean install. If it works there, then Integrate it whilst checking each file to note changes in each.

A deep level knowledge of PHP is not critical but an understanding of HTML and CSS is.

The only real functional change made is that in 3.b in the help installation file. The rest of the changes are to get the look right for the Demo attached which was done originally for a website I did.

Let me know if this helps you get back on track...

Look forward to your comments and progress.

Regards

George

Hi Satomi,

I am not sure that I understand your problem, but I'll have a dig.

Firstly not sure what category.php is? The file in question should be \includes\boxes\categories.php.

What is the exact error you have? Is it cosmetic or functional?

I don't use 2.2ms2 although from my understanding the files should be the same. So it shouldn't be a problem based on this assumption.

Do you have a modified store? If so you may want to use a compare program like Beyond compare to check the differences in your files to that of "A CSS based menu" and that of 2.2ms2 and 2.2rc2a.

My reccomendation is to try and get this working on a stock clean install. If it works there, then Integrate it whilst checking each file to note changes in each.

A deep level knowledge of PHP is not critical but an understanding of HTML and CSS is.

The only real functional change made is that in 3.b in the help installation file. The rest of the changes are to get the look right for the Demo attached which was done originally for a website I did.

Let me know if this helps you get back on track...

Look forward to your comments and progress.

Regards

George

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am sorry my explanation is very bad.

I tested it with default oscommerce 2.2ms2.

I still have problem with the category.

You can take a look.

there is no <br> so all categories lines up.

http://blacknickle.com/shop/

Thank you.

Best regards,

Satomi

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am sorry my explanation is very bad.

I tested it with default oscommerce 2.2ms2.

I still have problem with the category.

You can take a look.

there is no <br> so all categories lines up.

http://blacknickle.com/shop/

Thank you.

Best regards,

Satomi

Not sure how you went about the install but you need to have a read of the instructions and follow them accordingly. Seems like you possibly just changed the one file and dropped the images in.

Step 1: Add in all the css in the stylesheet its missing everything http://blacknickle.com/shop/stylesheet.css

Step 2: Make sure you copy all my images for the boxes into images folder if you have not already done this.

Step 3: Make sure the change for the \includes\classes\boxes.php not sure if you did this either? It wouldn't work anyway because your stylesheet is missing the config empty.

Step 4: Go to the osC admin panel: Configuration -> My Store -> Show Category Counts and change the value from "True" to "False"

Step 5: Try not to use my baby/kids picture on any future live websites it personally took me hours to do it in illustrator and i gave ownership of it to the live site which I created it for. Come to think about it, I might remove it in the next update.

If you want to do it the easy way drag and drop the whole contents of the folder called osC default store into your directory and it should just work. Again I haven't used a compare program to check the differences between OS versions, when I get a chance I will try to get around to it. Or you can do it and let me know the differences maybe?

Educated guess is your missing Stylesheet changes and the category counts change.

Satomi please have a read of the instructions before re-attempting this and let me know the outcome of take 3.

Regards

George

Not sure how you went about the install but you need to have a read of the instructions and follow them accordingly. Seems like you possibly just changed the one file and dropped the images in.

Step 1: Add in all the css in the stylesheet its missing everything http://blacknickle.com/shop/stylesheet.css

Step 2: Make sure you copy all my images for the boxes into images folder if you have not already done this.

Step 3: Make sure the change for the \includes\classes\boxes.php not sure if you did this either? It wouldn't work anyway because your stylesheet is missing the config empty.

Step 4: Go to the osC admin panel: Configuration -> My Store -> Show Category Counts and change the value from "True" to "False"

Step 5: Try not to use my baby/kids picture on any future live websites it personally took me hours to do it in illustrator and i gave ownership of it to the live site which I created it for. Come to think about it, I might remove it in the next update.

If you want to do it the easy way drag and drop the whole contents of the folder called osC default store into your directory and it should just work. Again I haven't used a compare program to check the differences between OS versions, when I get a chance I will try to get around to it. Or you can do it and let me know the differences maybe?

Educated guess is your missing Stylesheet changes and the category counts change.

Satomi please have a read of the instructions before re-attempting this and let me know the outcome of take 3.

Regards

George

Hi George,

Thank you for your help.

It works!! My bad I didn't change the config setting..

I am sorry.

Don't worry I am not going to use your pictures

even thought your picture is a real nice...

I just wanted to see how it would look like with

fresh install oscommerce 2.2ms2 since I tried manually

with modified oscommerce and didn't work...

Now I am going to compare them.

There are no different between 2.2rc2 and 2.2ms2.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Satomi

Hi George,

Thank you for your help.

It works!! My bad I didn't change the config setting..

Satomi,

No probs, glad you got it going and I was able to help.

Thanks for checking the differences between OSc versions for me.

Good luck with your menu design, hope it all goes well for you.

Regards

George

• 1 month later...

great contribution :) tested on a stock osc install, and it does everything i was hoping...

except for one thing:

my store uses simple template system. it seems that this contribution is not compatible with sts. when i installed it, the images are not generated and the menu links are screwed up. im not sure but it may have something to do with the fact that sts modifies the "column_left.php" by adding a reference to a new page called "sts_inc/sts_column_left.php". of coarse i might be wrong. im going to try a few things to see if i can get it to work but i know very little about php so im not so sure i will be successful. hopefully somebody has solution to this

thanks for you help

also one last thing:

i noticed you only have the option to create a 2 level category options. how do you create a 3rd level category option in this menu? when i create one in admin, it just displays the text link with no image. thanks in advance