• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[contribution] Mootools Slideshow

ssnb

[contribution] Mootools Slideshow:

OVERVIEW

This intro and OSC contribution package is written by me - I found something awesome and I want to share it with the community :-)

However, I take no credit for the actual application which is entirely created by Aeron Glemann - all credit to him.

Furthermore, although I have created an OSC support forum for this contribution (see below) I can only offer very limited support - the best support is available on the Author's site (see below - extensive and excellent support actually!).

I have it installed on an OSC site V RC2.2a with STS template. If you install it anywhere else, you will have to figure that out yourself - but it shouldn't be too hard and there is a lot of support available for this via the Author's site (see below for links to wiki, FAQ, forum etc!)

SUMMARY

Slideshow is a javascript class using Mootools 1.2 to stream and animate the presentation of images on your website. You can use it anywhere you like - the license is entirely Open Source. You may NOT re-sell it. If you like it, make a donation to the author and support the little guy?

This package does not dynamically pull any images from anywhere - but it IS possible to achieve this - and I am hoping others might contribute to the next OSC version (if only instructions) to enable it to do that.

The author's support forum is extensive and there are some examples on there, of how to dynamically pull the data - I just haven't found the need to do that myself - yet.... but it is something I will look into for the next version (unless someone beats me to it :-0

WHAT THIS OSC CONTRIBUTION DOES

- Creates an awesome FREE web2 slideshow box on your front page

- You manually specify the image files to use (currently)

- beautiful, fading image gallery

- controlled by CSS and web2 compliant

- LOTS of variable options / different ways to show stuff

- It's just excellent - which is why it deserves a wider audience.

FEATURES

- Dynamic resizing - Slideshow can accommodate any size presentation.

- Thumbnails - intelligent, auto-scrolling, tracking, etc.

- Full-featured controller - completely style-able with CSS (AND ABILITY TO TURN IT OFF COMPLETELY).

- Animated captions if wanted - plain text or formatted with HTML.

- Fully accessible - Slideshow can be controlled with access keys.

- Automagic slideshows - create slideshows from existing HTML images.

- Varied hyperlinking options - Slideshow allows for mashups with Lightbox, Slimbox, etc.

- CSS slide transitions - designed in stylesheets, not javascript, allow for an infinite combination of

effects (plus support for all Robert Penner (effects) transitions).

- Unobtrusive and degradable - Slideshow even functions with Javascript turned off!

WHAT ELSE

- Several variations to this script are available

- Examples of these are on the author's website

AUTHOR'S WEB SITE DEMOS

- several variation demos available here:

http://www.electricprism.com/aeron/slideshow/example1.html

This package installs example 1 (basic slideshow) as that is all I needed. However, there are lots of variations that are possible if you want to modify the code - go ahead - it's not hard, often you will just need to include a different style sheet (included) and tweak the page code a little. Full instructions, support and examples on this are available on the author's site.

In this distribution, you will find the following files:

slideshow folder containing

css/ - Folder containing stylesheet and background images.

images/ - Folder with example images.

index_EXAMPLE.html - Example script usage.

js/ - Folder with the Slideshow scripts and Mootools 1.2.1.

INSTALLATION.txt - How to install in OSC

LICENCE.TXT - Copy of the MIT license information (from the Author's website)

README.TXT - A copy of this text

SUPPORT

OSC support forum: here !

- Official development website.

http://code.google.com/p/slideshow

- Author Site Demos and examples.

http://www.electricprism.com/aeron/slideshow/

- FAQ.

http://code.google.com/p/slideshow/wiki/FAQ

- WIKI Manual.

http://code.google.com/p/slideshow/wiki/Slideshow

- Google Group (excellent help forum but requires google account)

http://groups.google.com/group/mootools-slideshow

INSTALLATION

EASY - 5 minute job!!

Just upload the contents of the slideshow folder and modify your main home page template (STS users)!

NON STS users shold be able to figure out how to change this to suit their site fairly easily!

See the INSTALLATION.TXT file for full details.

Enjoy!!

Sol

July 2009

I do not use STS but would really want this slide show on my website.

I have been trying different things for about 4 hours now with no success.

I uploaded all of the files but am now at a loss of where (which file?) to insert the two sections of code to run the slideshow. What is analogous to the index template used in STS?

Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I do not use STS but would really want this slide show on my website.

I have been trying different things for about 4 hours now with no success.

I uploaded all of the files but am now at a loss of where (which file?) to insert the two sections of code to run the slideshow. What is analogous to the index template used in STS?

Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi

STS simply emulates the code that is already in your core files. STS is a much easier way to control what information you want to appear where on your pages. You might want to consider installing it as it does offer unlimited ways to modify your "template" or your store look and feel.

Having said that, STS is a big (ish) job to install, so it's not for the faint hearted because if you have a heavily modified store, you will need to get all of the contributions working in STS - that can be a real headache!

You do not need STS to get this code working.

I assume you want the slideshow on your "front" (index) page, I would suggest that you look at placing the code in catalog/index.php (BACKUP first).

Just follow the instructions in the installation file.

I would suggest that you use "hard links" for your filepaths.... I tried relative links but they didn't seem to work.

Can you put a link to your site?

Without seeing your site, I can't help more...

Cheers

Sol

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

STS simply emulates the code that is already in your core files. STS is a much easier way to control what information you want to appear where on your pages. You might want to consider installing it as it does offer unlimited ways to modify your "template" or your store look and feel.

Having said that, STS is a big (ish) job to install, so it's not for the faint hearted because if you have a heavily modified store, you will need to get all of the contributions working in STS - that can be a real headache!

You do not need STS to get this code working.

I assume you want the slideshow on your "front" (index) page, I would suggest that you look at placing the code in catalog/index.php (BACKUP first).

Just follow the instructions in the installation file.

I would suggest that you use "hard links" for your filepaths.... I tried relative links but they didn't seem to work.

Can you put a link to your site?

Without seeing your site, I can't help more...

Cheers

Sol

Hi Sol,

My website is www.officeconsumables.com.au, and would like to install the slideshow in the front page.

The site had not installed STS, but installed FCK editor for Define Mainpage.

What should I do for installing this fantastic contribution?

Waiting for your instruction.

Thanks in advance!

Dansino :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

We’ve just installed this slideshow. It is exactly what we searched for our online shop and works fine in Internet Explorer. But in Firefox the images don't show on index.php pages, and in the others it only shows the first image, without slidding.

Any ideas why this happens? What can we do to fix it?

This store is at www.petness.pt/lj (in construction)

Thank you very much.

Hello.

We’ve just installed this slideshow. It is exactly what we searched for our online shop and works fine in Internet Explorer. But in Firefox the images don't show on index.php pages, and in the others it only shows the first image, without slidding.

Any ideas why this happens? What can we do to fix it?

This store is at www.petness.pt/lj (in construction)

Thank you very much.

Hi -

I visited your site www.petness.pt/lj and it seems to work fine in my browser (the header images all load correctly - and I might add it is a nice example of exactly how to use it).

So, as I did not experience this issue you describe, I don't know what to suggest. Have you tried clearing the cache and reloading the page?

Nice design by the way - may I ask if you designed this theme yourself or was it purchased?

If it continues to be an issue, I would suggest visiting the slideshow forums as detailed in the installation text notes.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Regards

Sol

Edited by ssnb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have STS installed and am using a freeoscommerce template. I assume I needed to add the code to my /sts_templates/freeoscommerce_081/freeoscommerce_081.html file. I made all the links absolute. The problem I am having is that it is posting on every page (not just my index) and it shows the first image, but does not run or have controls.

Any thoughts?

see page http://www.studiowestinteriors.com/catalog/index.php