• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is BBB online worth the cost?

Since starting my store two years ago I have been a member of the Better Buisness Bureau. For the last year, I have been allowed to become a certified BBB-online store which costs me roughly $ 48.00 a month to keep the logo and link on my site.

How many other people have the BBB-online seal and do you think it makes a difference to shoppers?

Not worth it. there's so many FREE review sites out there that will report on you, why bother with bbb?

bbb does nothing for your $48.00, other than place it in their pocket. if a customer complains about you, they'll basically just watch the spat between you and the complainer and whoever is the best talker wins. they don't help you, they don't help your complaining customer.

if you get scammed and the customer lies, you got a bad mark against you.

if your customer is ticked off for whatever reason and you don't bend over for them, you still have a bad mark -- even if you did your best to do whatever they wanted (aside from giving your merch away)

what could the bbb possibly do that you couldn't do for that customer, anyway?

Since starting my store two years ago I have been a member of the Better Buisness Bureau. For the last year, I have been allowed to become a certified BBB-online store which costs me roughly $ 48.00 a month to keep the logo and link on my site.

How many other people have the BBB-online seal and do you think it makes a difference to shoppers?

I think it depends on how much business you generate with your website. I feel at ease when ordering from a site I never heard of if they are a member. It simply means to me that the company usually cares about its customers and will try to resolve customer complaints. On the flip side I would like to bring the BBB down. They are a privately owned organization with no federal or goverment ruling. They claim to be a non-profit organization yet they charge outragous fees to become a member. Its kind of like Al Capone: If you pay them money they say nice things about your company, and if you dont they sure point out that you are not a member even if you have no complaints. I used to work for the Houston TX BBB and they paid me 50% of each membership sale. My manager made over 200,000. a year. Hows that for a non profit organization?

Flying away to get back to work.

• 1 year later...

I personally think the bbb is outdated. Today Google is the way people find and validate your business. This applies to both online and brick and morter businesses. If your business is good it floats to the top of the search engine and if it isn't it tends to stay down. Here are two articles I came across in regards to the bbb

www.yousolv.com/node/12?lastident=48

www.yousolv.com/node/12?lastident=45

Matt,

Personally, the BBB logo on a website makes no difference to me. As long as the site is SSL protected, has a privacy and return policy, I am pretty happy with that. As I only use PayPal and a Secure Mastercard for online purchases I am protected against fraudulent sites by the PayPal and Mastercard online guarantee.

Having said that, I would not pay $576.00/yr for the BBB logo. Just my opinion.

Chris

Archived