• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Artist on the Waterways

fatjack

I would be grateful if you can take the time to comment on my latest OSC attempt.

My brief was to keep the existing look of the site but add shopping cart functionality.

(just a showcase before - visitors needed to phone or email to purchase)

All advice welcome – Thank you

www.waterwaysartist.co.uk

Hey Jack,

I like the site, plain and simple to navigate.

A few things jumped out at me (in no particular order):

The menu tabs along the top, maybe make them the same width as the table below for balance.

The logo lettering is a little hard on the eyes, looks fuzzy. Loose the drop shadow or fix it (down lower and gray).

Fix the breadcrumb trail - Top >> Catalog links to the same, remove one.

Get an SSL certificate.

Events 2009 graphic is fuzzy/blurry.

I would lose the date and request counter and replace them with the other footer links.

Lose the first and last seperator "|" in the footer links.

Just some thoughts. ;)

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Thank You Jim,

Absolutely right on all counts. I'm so glad I posted.

I have implimented all but one of your suggestions, SSL, I'll have to discuss that with the site owner. The transactions are paypal only but I suppose SSL will protect customers contact info.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Jack

You are welcome Jack!

I like the new header better. ;)

I think those changes added the finishing touch, really nice site.

Explain to the site owner that not many people will feel comfortable filling in their personal info without the SSL security, really a no-brainer LOL. I use PayPal also but I'm using a host shared SSL for now until my site makes enough money to justify the extra expense. I know a free host shared SSL isn't the best route but for the slight slow loading it's better than non.

By the way, I like some of the other sites you've done too. :)

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Cheers Jim,

A new pair of eyes was useful there.

I'll have the conversation about the SSL, then hand it over.

Good luck with your store.

All the best,

Jack

I would suggest making some design element changes that highlight the beauty of her paintings. Her paintings are gorgeous, bright and full of cheerful color, yet you have them buried in that dark green background with that, excuse my french, bilious yellow text.

In your defense, using her art as the background of the header is great, but the header text is jagged or something

1. widen the site to 750px at least, this will help compliment the horizontal aspect of her oil paintings

2. Drop the dark green background, simply change it to white.

3. Change the yellow text, tabs to greys or a nice blue, 3399cc. or grey text, blue header text in a Georgia font.

4. That is a nice way you have the oil paintings enlarge. But for something like an expensive oil painting, the customer needs to get really close and see the brush marks. Push the limit on how big you can get those paintings on enlargement. Also if there is a way you could get really close and scroll around on the painting that would be killer.

5. Minor point: Why do you have watermarks on the paintings? The more people copy and send those pictures around the better. Why not just put the artists name and website in small text in one of the lower corners?

Oscommerce site:

OSC to CSS, http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7263 -Mail Manager, http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8120

'allo George,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

You're right about the text on the header, I changed that today.

The rationale of watermarks and limited size is to protect print sales.

I like the green - to my eye it's neutral, and draws attention to the art.

However if I get a lot of feedback describing the yellow text as bilious -

I may have to reconsider.

Thanks again,

Jack

Archived