• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Creating a Product WITHOUT an image... HOW?

CroonerJE

Hello,

I am off to a terrific start. Everything is working beautifully.

However, I am creating a website selling sheet music and big band arrangements, and quite often

there is no need for a product image.

My store is www.terrificbigbandcharts.com

Example: If you click on "Charts By Arranger" then "Johnny Mandel", you can see the two products

I have created have this very large void white area. I don't want this!

For these products I have NOT uploaded an image... however this large white area remains.

Also the description is limited to the first few words. VERY brief.

And... why is the options drop-down on the OTHER page? This other page includes no description...

only the option drop down.

Am I missing something in the setup? Thanks.

theere are contibs that will display a default image if none exists

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Hello,

I am off to a terrific start. Everything is working beautifully.

However, I am creating a website selling sheet music and big band arrangements, and quite often

there is no need for a product image.

My store is www.terrificbigbandcharts.com

Example: If you click on "Charts By Arranger" then "Johnny Mandel", you can see the two products

I have created have this very large void white area. I don't want this!

For these products I have NOT uploaded an image... however this large white area remains.

Also the description is limited to the first few words. VERY brief.

And... why is the options drop-down on the OTHER page? This other page includes no description...

only the option drop down.

Am I missing something in the setup? Thanks.

Hello I just want to drop a idea (from a Graphic designer):

Why not... to make a music note icons in different colors and it will be you product's image, it will make the website more attractive and you meet the configuration needs, save you time and trouble.

Andrea

Andrea

Hmmmm... well that's a thought. Might have to do that. Thanks.

I purchased this package from scriptsfeed.com who sell separate template versions for $15. This one visually suited my needs, but had no idea I would have to fight with this.

Would this be a stylesheet.css issue?

I will make an image and see what happens.

One other thing... my product description is terribly abbreviated and only the first few words are visible. Wonder why?

Hmmmm... well that's a thought. Might have to do that. Thanks.

I purchased this package from scriptsfeed.com who sell separate template versions for $15. This one visually suited my needs, but had no idea I would have to fight with this.

Would this be a stylesheet.css issue?

I will make an image and see what happens.

One other thing... my product description is terribly abbreviated and only the first few words are visible. Wonder why?

it is easy, just make a image, save as tiff or jpg and in the admin panel, product description attach the image.

The product description's size can be change, Here is how I did it: going to catalog/includes/modules/new_products.php.

There is a line of code that goes like this:

$description['products_description'] = substr($description['products_description'], 0, 40);

You can change the 0,40, play with the last set of number in my case 40, and look if it meet your criteria

Please remember to Backup before any changes, precaution is the best insurance.

Andrea

Andrea

Maybe I have the worng end of the stick here, but i don't have images for all my products either.

It is simple to make an image NOT required, all you do is go to configuration in the interface, select images, at the bottom of the list it says image required - set it to false.

I list my items seperately, for example i sell steel bones in lots of sizes, and put it under a sub category. I use an image for the subcat, but no image for the actual item (as they are all the same). I prefer a visual list to a drop down options box.

If i want to have an image, but can't be bothered to put one in I use a stock icon, whihc is a white box witht eh word IMAGE on it to remind me later!

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

I would strongly suggest that you have some sort of image with each listing. A picture breaks up the boring solid block of text and makes it more pleasing to the eye. Don't use the same image for everything... maybe some random selection of music (or big band) motif pictures, or an album cover connected to the listing, or a random gallery of the artist for all his entries. You wouldn't want the same picture of Sinatra for each listing on one page of his music, but would want to mix it up a bit. There may be a contribution to pick a random picture from a small group for a specific usage, or if not, something might be written to do that.

Thanks Phil.. I HAD pondered that. And I can live with it.

OK, so this morning I have been round and round with my main page. I managed to pull it all back together again

(the page after the header was 100% wide for some reason after editing the header.php)

But now the content is aligned LEFT.... not CENTER.

http://www.terrificbigbandcharts.com

Any idea????

I would strongly suggest that you have some sort of image with each listing. A picture breaks up the boring solid block of text and makes it more pleasing to the eye. Don't use the same image for everything... maybe some random selection of music (or big band) motif pictures, or an album cover connected to the listing, or a random gallery of the artist for all his entries. You wouldn't want the same picture of Sinatra for each listing on one page of his music, but would want to mix it up a bit. There may be a contribution to pick a random picture from a small group for a specific usage, or if not, something might be written to do that.

Archived