• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

MS1 Finished

dsmcphee

I noticed that 2.2MS1 workboard jobs have been completed.  This was on the 8th.  The snapshot says the 6th.  Does anybody know if or when I'll be able to download MS1 ?

D

Well after seeing the weekly report

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/weekly,88

I was looking forward to probably being able to download it this morning. Now it says it might take an extra day or two. I hope I can hold off my boss from buying X-Cart for another day or two. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any good points for osCommerce over a prepackaged X-Cart - reasons why osCommerce is better?

Not sure why you would pay for Xcart when this is better and free.

You don't need to wait for MS1 just use the current snapshot and add what extra features you want.

I don't want to use xcart. I want to use osCommerce. I've been holding my boss off for months saying "Don't worry, they'll release a final version soon". I decided I'm just going to download the snapshot today and use CVS to update it as they update, up until MS1. Then I'll stay with MS1 until MS2 comes out - presuming that there will be an update script :)

Speaking of CVS...is this :

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs...by=date#dirlist

The way i'm supposed to see which files have changed?

You'll find most people do use a snapshot and then upgrade it is they need to. Though having said that, we've been running on a six month old snapshot without any problems. To be honest, I wouldn't of thought there is any more bugs in OSC than there is in any retail product - plus any bugs that are found tend to get fixed very quickly with OSC.

I looked at every e-commerce package I could find, and I didn't see anything that even came close to OSC.

You can keep up to date with the cvs updates here:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tep-commits&r=1&w=2

Jon.[/url]

I moved one cart from Miva to osCommerce back in August, and it is running fine. other than contributions and my own customizations, osCommerce itself is very stable. Sure it may still be "beta", but when it comes to software, what is 100% stable. Just because X-Cart isnt beta, doesn't mean it isnt buggy. Simply put, if they are charging for it, they cant call it beta. But if they release any updates....ever.... that means that there were bug fixes, which means it was no more/less stable than OSC.

Tell your boss that you feel more comfortable deploying the store with OScommerce that X-Cart and give him some good reasons for it.

Better support base

Easier to customize

Costs less......

Oh and hundreds (maybe thousands?) of stores are running "beta" OSC stores, and are working fine.

>Insert witty comment here<

Archived