Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steelthings

Redesigned Steel Jewellery Store Feedback?

oh.. didnt know you had to be an editor to be able to code and know design..

Maybe you should take the advice of the 10 people who told you that the design isnt working? or just dont ask for feedback

The worse thing about working with store owners is that they dont realize that what THEY like isnt always what their customers like, and they are not selling to themselves.. So get over what you like and start to consider actual design and target audeince - oohh.. did i spell another word wrong?

But maybe all the CUSTOMERS aren't going to be a bunch of osc obsessed people who have nothing better to do when they're bored than post to a friggin osc website about how bored they are. Can you spell "sad"? Probably not. The little red line should help.

I've seen your blog, and I saw your "Furry Friends" website. You calling people an idiot is just wrong. :P

Your feedback is usually nasty and discourteous, and you are most certainly NOT working with me.

Like I said, I know people here, who think the coolest thing in the world is to modify an osc layout and make fun of people who still have columns on the sides (GASP! The Horror!) , won't like my site... That is fine with me. I didn't say it was the best site in the world, so if you don't like it, that's OK.

:lol:

Why are you asking for feedback then? If you know it all.. then.. well.. ok

I'm not an OSC obsessed person, I just know design.. hence the reason i am a professional web designer and get paid well to do it - not a jewelery store owner wanting to do my own website.. yea, started with a pet supplies store 2 years ago.. but before that, i knew design.. I knew design inside and out.. and still do..

You know what.. i'm not going to waste my breath with trying to tell you why your design is bad, i already did that. What I will tell you is that people who DESIGN experience and know about color theory and why colors look good on certain things, and the psychology of color will know why your website will always be mediocre.. if thats what you are shooting for, then you hit the nail on the head.

Theres a reason that Pepsi pays a designer $80,000,000.00 to rebrand their company.. theres a reason that real companies hire a designer - its because designers understand things like this, and they know how to make the most out o fthe design to benefit the company.. But thats ok. You can ignore that 10 people who told you flat out that those colors arent working, and you can live in mediocrity.. that is totally fine.. but dont ask for freaking feedback

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

maybe you dont remember - but THIS ASSHOLE right here is the one who walked you though, step by step on how to work on your navigation menu..

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

maybe you dont remember - but THIS ASSHOLE right here is the one who walked you though, step by step on how to work on your navigation menu..

I didn't say you were an ASSHOLE. You are helpful, but in a mean, nasty, condescending way (sometimes). If that makes you an asshole, well then so be it. Or maybe I am the asshole, who can't deal with criticism from assholes. Maybe we're BOTH assholes. :huh:

no i think its just you.. I have not been condescending to anyone except for the asshole that couldnt figure out how to resize an image after 3 PAGES OF RESPONSES!

Why would you ask for feedback? were you just expecting a pat on the back for your good job? Or real feedback? because clearly, you did not take real feedback well.. and you flip on ME for no reason after all i did was repeat exactly what everyone else said.. your colors dont work

no i think its just you.. I have not been condescending to anyone except for the asshole that couldnt figure out how to resize an image after 3 PAGES OF RESPONSES!

Why would you ask for feedback? were you just expecting a pat on the back for your good job? Or real feedback? because clearly, you did not take real feedback well.. and you flip on ME for no reason after all i did was repeat exactly what everyone else said.. your colors dont work

Now you're calling me an asshole? If I flipped on you, it's because of your shitty websites, crappy blog, and absolutely horrible attitude, not just to me but to everyone who asks for feedback. If there was an "Ignore" list on this site, you would be on mine.

This is exactly what I mean... did you read back through my original post to see what I fu**ed up with just so you could sass me? Not everyone knows everything when they get here, and talking to people like they're idiots when they ask for help is just mean.

And last time I asked for feedback my colors were almost the same and you said you liked them. So you just go along echoing what everyone else says, but in a meaner way?

Sad... really sad. You really are the worst part of this forum. I've seen people totally give up on this software because of you. Grow up.

sad.. really REALLY sad..

240 posts, a few months playing with osc and you know it all.. good luck with your mediocre site..

sad.. really REALLY sad..

240 posts, a few months playing with osc and you know it all.. good luck with your mediocre site..

I didn't say I knew it all, just that YOUR opinion doesn't matter to me.

PS - A lot of posts with links to stuff you don't have the knowledge or skill to back up doesn't count. We could all quote Burt and Germ all day, but that doesn't make us any smarter does it?

We could all quote Burt and Germ all day, but that doesn't make us any smarter does it?

LOL. Love it!

I'm wondering if you realise that these threads can do far more to harm your business than to help it - read the pps...

ps, the black theme make the silver pictures stand out nicely, but I personally believe that a white site background is more professional. Dark colours look as though it belongs on a gaming website.

pps, I found this thread whilst searching Google for ideas for a present!!!

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here

Nicole,

I'll go out on a limb here and say that I actually like your site and don't find it too dark, but then again, I love dark red and black websites *ducks to avoid flying objects*.

The only thing that would bother me as a customer is no phone number, but I know you've already said your feelings on that.

On the black theme I would even go one step further and change the contact us box from white to something like the lighter shade of grey you use for your writing.

You sell steel jewellery so I believe such a strong material can take strong colours in the layout like black and red. I wouldn't like to see your products in a wishy washy white website that would make me feel like I'm at my bank's site.

As for dark sites not looking professional, have a look at the sites of multimillionaire businesses like: armani.com, ysl.com, chanel.com, cartier.com.....what do you see? black, grey, dark red....ahem....*ducks again to avoid flying objects* :rolleyes:

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

LOL. Love it!

I'm wondering if you realise that these threads can do far more to harm your business than to help it - read the pps...

ps, the black theme make the silver pictures stand out nicely, but I personally believe that a white site background is more professional. Dark colours look as though it belongs on a gaming website.

pps, I found this thread whilst searching Google for ideas for a present!!!

Thanks Burt, I know... I try to keep my mouth shut but sometimes my evil twin takes over the keyboard. I've asked to get the links removed, but there are too many for them to find them all, I guess. Plus they probably figure it serves me right. ;o)

ps - Just... can't... manage to change it to something lighter yet.

pps - So where is your order?? hahaha

Nicole,

I'll go out on a limb here and say that I actually like your site and don't find it too dark, but then again, I love dark red and black websites *ducks to avoid flying objects*.

The only thing that would bother me as a customer is no phone number, but I know you've already said your feelings on that.

On the black theme I would even go one step further and change the contact us box from white to something like the lighter shade of grey you use for your writing.

You sell steel jewellery so I believe such a strong material can take strong colours in the layout like black and red. I wouldn't like to see your products in a wishy washy white website that would make me feel like I'm at my bank's site.

As for dark sites not looking professional, have a look at the sites of multimillionaire businesses like: armani.com, ysl.com, chanel.com, cartier.com.....what do you see? black, grey, dark red....ahem....*ducks again to avoid flying objects* :rolleyes:

Thanks so much! That is encouraging.

Good idea about the contact box - I'll check it out.

:) Nicole

The colours are fine.

I would flip the background image vertical and use the red fade to in case your store to draw the attention in. Change the side bar table background to an off set black (maybe use colour code

#0D0B0C or #0A0A0A) so the change is subtle but enough to break up the all black look. Make the product titles white on the listing page and product info pages.

And install an SEO module

I run a meta tag module

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2895

and SEO-G

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5080

I dont leave feedback on this forum often but for a fellow Canadian, I will make an exception.

Cheers

Using IE6 with today’s websites is like driving a horse and buggy in New York City during rush hour traffic and expecting everyone else to accommodate to you. It’s simply time to upgrade.

Forgot to add this, Checkout and add to cart buttons should be changed to a different color so they standout and present a call to action (you want them to click on the checkout buttons) best to make them a different color or a different shade of red.

Using IE6 with today’s websites is like driving a horse and buggy in New York City during rush hour traffic and expecting everyone else to accommodate to you. It’s simply time to upgrade.

The colours are fine.

I would flip the background image vertical and use the red fade to in case your store to draw the attention in. Change the side bar table background to an off set black (maybe use colour code

#0D0B0C or #0A0A0A) so the change is subtle but enough to break up the all black look. Make the product titles white on the listing page and product info pages.

And install an SEO module

I run a meta tag module

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2895

and SEO-G

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5080

I dont leave feedback on this forum often but for a fellow Canadian, I will make an exception.

Cheers

I appreciate you taking the time to go over my site! I have actually tried some different colors for the background, but I will give that a try. I'm thinking you mean going from black by the menus to red on the outside with the "fade to black" action?? Most things look sorta cheesy, in my "NON-DESIGNER" point of view, if the cut-off from the menus/sides to the background is too harsh, but that might work. White background is bad, for any of you who are curious.

The SEO contrib thing is beyond me, I think. The list is a mile long in there! I clicked on both of your links. Why TF are there fifty files for each contrib? I'm absolutely terrified of those things. I don't know what else to say... I have been called an "asshole" (only once) for my failure to comprehend simple instructions... something about a picture... anyway, any advice would be thoroughly perused and appreciated, but I probably will still not try the contrib, unless it tells me which file to use. JEEZ! SCARED!

Thanks,

Nicole

PS - I just looked at your site. A little DARK, don't you think?!?!? Jeez! ;o)

The meta tag contribution has a lot of changes, but they are small ( you are just removing the meta tags info on the top with the include script )

The SEO-G has a couple changes to make ( calling database table, filenames, and the links in the admin section), it is super easy to go through the install.

If you noticed on my site that it is framed in by the background, as well as the columes and product details.

Important buttons (buy now, add to cart and checkout) are a different color to draw in an action.

As far as making changes I have a sub domain that has a clone of my sites. I make all my changes there and transfer them to the live site when I am satified with them. This way you can F-up your test site and never worry about it affecting your live site.

PM me your email and I can help you get started any design changes. Just be patience as I am a few days away from a the re-launch of my other store and I'm knee deep in testing.

PS lindsayanng likes my site :P

PS lindsayanng likes my site :P

Oh... like I give a flying... I mean ... Nothing!

That's OK, thanks. I don't want to bug you when you're busy. I was just wondering if there was one file out of the bunch that would work better then the rest. :rolleyes:

I may or may not decide to tackle it.

Cheers,