• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Very Disappointed

debf

:huh: My current website is image rich and I rely heavily on good, clear images to sell my products. The thumbnails generated by osc are rubbish and I can't seem to find out how to fix it. I know that a lot of people don't care about image quality but I do and I've seen a lot of shopping cart sites out there that have great small images. I can't use fixed sizes because I sell a lot of different things and one size won't work for every product.

Now, my question is...I already have good quality thumbnails (jpeg), correctly sized on my current server. These are linked to the larger ones.

Is there any script out there or any way that I can get osc to put my thumbnails as the small pics, heading images etc but still link the pop-up to the larger image?

Can someone pleeeze help - I am about to scrap the whole thing after spending $$$$$ on templates !

:huh: My current website is image rich and I rely heavily on good, clear images to sell my products. The thumbnails generated by osc are rubbish and I can't seem to find out how to fix it. I know that a lot of people don't care about image quality but I do and I've seen a lot of shopping cart sites out there that have great small images. I can't use fixed sizes because I sell a lot of different things and one size won't work for every product.

Now, my question is...I already have good quality thumbnails (jpeg), correctly sized on my current server. These are linked to the larger ones.

Is there any script out there or any way that I can get osc to put my thumbnails as the small pics, heading images etc but still link the pop-up to the larger image?

Can someone pleeeze help - I am about to scrap the whole thing after spending $$$$$ on templates !

Yes you can. I'm the same, image quality is a key factor. I have a few solutions.

1: You can link the thumbnail and popout to separate images. I use the normal image folder (catalog/images) and also a large folder (catalog/images/large) and just add the "/large" to the popout script. You may need the admin area to allow you to uplaod a separate image too.

2: Alternatively I have used a flash zoom of a separate iamge as aboe so the user can zoom in and out of the image - quality depends on the zoom settings and the image quality. Got this from a flash site for $10 / £7 ish.

Matt

oscommerce_community_forums.gif

Yes you can. I'm the same, image quality is a key factor. I have a few solutions.

1: You can link the thumbnail and popout to separate images. I use the normal image folder (catalog/images) and also a large folder (catalog/images/large) and just add the "/large" to the popout script. You may need the admin area to allow you to uplaod a separate image too.

2: Alternatively I have used a flash zoom of a separate iamge as aboe so the user can zoom in and out of the image - quality depends on the zoom settings and the image quality. Got this from a flash site for $10 / £7 ish.

Matt

Thanks Matt, you're an angel ! Being slightly stupid :blink: with this, would you be so kind as to tell me where to find the code I should change etc etc and on what pages including admin area? I am pretty good with html but php etc is doing my head in !!!!!

Hi Matt, below is the script from my popup.image.php file - where would I insert "large" to the code to tell it to get the large images please?

Also with the new catalog/images/large file, I assume it's ok to copy the catalog/images file and just rename it and upload to catalog? I would then use ftp to upload the large pictures to catalog/images/large file?

Anything else I would need to do?

-----------------------------------------------------------

<?php

/*

$Id: popup_image.php 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

require('includes/application_top.php');

$navigation->remove_current_page();

$products_query = tep_db_query("select pd.products_name, p.products_image from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd on p.products_id = pd.products_id where p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['pID'] . "' and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

$products = tep_db_fetch_array($products_query);

?>

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html <?php echo HTML_PARAMS; ?>>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

<title><?php echo $products['products_name']; ?></title>

<base href="<?php echo (($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER) . DIR_WS_CATALOG; ?>">

<script language="javascript"><!--

var i=0;

function resize() {

if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape') i=40;

if (document.images[0]) window.resizeTo(document.images[0].width +30, document.images[0].height+60+i);

self.focus();

}

//--></script>

</head>

<body onLoad="resize();">

<?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products['products_image'], $products['products_name']); ?>

</body>

</html>

<?php require('includes/application_bottom.php'); ?>

Hi Matt, below is the script from my popup.image.php file - where would I insert "large" to the code to tell it to get the large images please?

Also with the new catalog/images/large file, I assume it's ok to copy the catalog/images file and just rename it and upload to catalog? I would then use ftp to upload the large pictures to catalog/images/large file?

Anything else I would need to do?

-----------------------------------------------------------

<?php

/*

$Id: popup_image.php 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

require('includes/application_top.php');

$navigation->remove_current_page();

$products_query = tep_db_query("select pd.products_name, p.products_image from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd on p.products_id = pd.products_id where p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['pID'] . "' and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

$products = tep_db_fetch_array($products_query);

?>

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html <?php echo HTML_PARAMS; ?>>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

<title><?php echo $products['products_name']; ?></title>

<base href="<?php echo (($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER) . DIR_WS_CATALOG; ?>">

<script language="javascript"><!--

var i=0;

function resize() {

if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape') i=40;

if (document.images[0]) window.resizeTo(document.images[0].width +30, document.images[0].height+60+i);

self.focus();

}

//--></script>

</head>

<body onLoad="resize();">

<?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products['products_image'], $products['products_name']); ?>

</body>

</html>

<?php require('includes/application_bottom.php'); ?>

I think, the simplest way to do this is to use an FTP client to transfer a large version of the image to your HOST (under directory images/large/) then define DIR_WS_IMAGES_LARGE and replace DIR_WS_IMAGES (5th line from bottom) with DIR_WS_IMAGES_LARGE. You'll also have to DEFINE the large image, DIR_WS_IMAGES_LARGE, in includes/configure.php: something like:

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES_LARGE', 'images/large/'); {Add this line below the one above}

As long as you remember to upload the large image with exactly the same file name as the small/thumb this will work. It does get a little confusing at times with filenames but as long as you;re carfeul it should be ok.

If you want to use the admin area to upload the image it will take quite a bit more. Alternatively, I had a quick look at contributions, and although have not tested it, the following looks quite useful for you:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/1346

I would expect this link to be more comprehensive, but longer.

Don't forget to backup any files you change!!!

Regards

Matt

oscommerce_community_forums.gif