• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Another Thumbnail question

night_fire

I saw this somewhere and now can't find it. I have a separate folder that has all my thumbs in it. There was a forum that had 2 lines of code to pull up the thumbnails from one folder and the large images from another. I know there are cont. out there but I rather just add the 2 lines of code. If anyone knows or can point me in the right direction I would be great full.

Thanks

Custom PC's, Components, Liquid Cooling, Notebooks and More

I think I'm looking for something similiar, I want to b able to upload my thumbnail pic seperately. I don't want it to scale down my big productpic, is it possible to have an extra field in the product admin that lets me upload a seperate pic for the thumbnail?

I've been looking trough lots of contribs but haven't been able to find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
I saw this somewhere and now can't find it. I have a separate folder that has all my thumbs in it. There was a forum that had 2 lines of code to pull up the thumbnails from one folder and the large images from another. I know there are cont. out there but I rather just add the 2 lines of code. If anyone knows or can point me in the right direction I would be great full.

Thanks

I had the same problem and a fellow called Matt kindly responded to my cries for help and I think this is what you are thinking of ? In any case it works perfectly.

Step 1: In your images directory create a file called "large" (catalog/images/large)

Step 2: Upload all your larger images to the images/large file - make sure you name them EXACTLY the same as the thumbs otherwise it won't work

Step 3: Add the "/large" to the popup script - replace DIR_WS_IMAGES (5th line from bottom) with DIR_WS_IMAGES_LARGE.

Step 4: You'll also have to DEFINE the large image, DIR_WS_IMAGES_LARGE, in includes/configure.php:

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES_LARGE', 'images/large/'); {Add this line below the one above}

I had the same problem and a fellow called Matt kindly responded to my cries for help and I think this is what you are thinking of ? In any case it works perfectly.

Step 1: In your images directory create a file called "large" (catalog/images/large)

Step 2: Upload all your larger images to the images/large file - make sure you name them EXACTLY the same as the thumbs otherwise it won't work

Step 3: Add the "/large" to the popup script - replace DIR_WS_IMAGES (5th line from bottom) with DIR_WS_IMAGES_LARGE.

Step 4: You'll also have to DEFINE the large image, DIR_WS_IMAGES_LARGE, in includes/configure.php:

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES_LARGE', 'images/large/'); {Add this line below the one above}

Hi, I was wondering if some one could tell me whether doing the procedure above will improve site loading time. i tried autothumbs (add-on) earlier and it nearly wreked my site also procedure was too complicated, is there an add-on which is easy to implement?

Hi, I was wondering if some one could tell me whether doing the procedure above will improve site loading time. i tried autothumbs (add-on) earlier and it nearly wreked my site also procedure was too complicated, is there an add-on which is easy to implement?

If you use full-sized images (that osCommerce then resizes) for both your thumbs and your pop-up images, and you have more than a couple on a page, then this will significantly speed up your page load times! I use 48bit PNG's with alpha transparencies so I can use them on any colour background without "halos", and a 100x80px thumb is around 10~12k, but a 400x320 pop-up image is more like 150k. Therefore a page such as my index.php which has 10 thumbnails on is only loading around 150k of product images instead of 1.5Mb!

One change to the above text/code from "debf" though:

Should read "Step 1: In your images directory create a folder called "large" (catalog/images/large)".

Not trying to be pedantic or anything, but it could be a little confusing to anyone who may already be a little overwhelmed by the code of osC, especially if coding is all a little new to them.

Andy.

Thanks a lot, this is exactly what i was looking for to improve site loading times because i have full 900x600 popups and 7 of them on a typical page, it was not loading them all, some times they were loading halfway down.

I'll try to work this one out over the week end.

Jos