• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] SID Killer v1.0

Ian

This is the first proper packaged release of the SID killer code.

For those who haved missed this previously :shock:

The code is used to stop the addition of SID's to all of your url/links when being spidered by a search engine.

It does this by suppressing SID's unless certain conditions are met.

1) The customer logs in

2) The customer adds something to their cart

3) The customer changes currency.

As all of the above (see note below) require a form action which spiders cannot follow, it effectively stops all SID's when spiders visit your site.

Note: The exception to this is the buy now button, in standard osCommerce this is a simple linke rather than a form action. Joshua Dechant has posted a contribution which changes buy now buttons to form actions, and this is a must have addition to my code.

I've added Joshua's contribution to the same contribution package so that you can download it from the same contributions url as mine.

To get the contribution

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,952

Trust me, I'm an Accountant.

Hi Joshua,

Yes, I've added code to propagate any language change in the url. Language selection is not a form action so previous code would start generating sid's when spider followed a language link.

Trust me, I'm an Accountant.

Follow Ian's link to the contribution and you will find this:

Aims to stop googelbot and other search engine spiders adding an sid to the url.  

This is important for two reasons.

First having sid's in published search engine listings can be a huge security/privacy problem.

Secondly because of the way googlebot in particular works, having sid's in your url's can cause what is commonly know as the 'google dance' where googlebot gets trapped in your site causing a huge amount of page hits.

It gives a brief understanding of what the SID killer does.

If you dont understaned that, just search for google and it will bring up some HUUUUUGE threads that follow what a SID killer is for.

CC.

My two cents:

I have discovered that a unique feature of all spiders seems to be that getenv('HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE') is null. ie. spiders do not have a browser language.

However, I am not sure that every valid user does have a browser language or under what circumstances, if any, a valid user could use a browser that does not have a language???

Seems to me that this could be used somehow. Any ideas?

Ian-san

Flawlessnet

Hi Ian,

very much like the idea about better security etc that the SID killer brings, so I installed it on my cart. But I get these strange errors every time I log in, or push the "add to cart" button :

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at c:phpdevwwwcatalogincludesfunctionshtml_output.php:2) in c:phpdevwwwcataloglogin.php on line 43

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at c:phpdevwwwcatalogincludesfunctionshtml_output.php:2) in c:phpdevwwwcatalogincludesfunctionsgeneral.php on line 23

I use the 20030203 snapshot with a lot of contributions, but all worked fine until I installed the SIDkiller.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

_____.:::.________###__________|/______

:(o o): . (o o) (o o)

ooO--(_)--Ooo-ooO--(_)--Ooo-ooO--(_)--Ooo-

Looks like you may have a space in one of your php files before or after the php symbols.

very much like the idea about better security etc that the SID killer brings, so I installed it on my cart. But I get these strange errors every time I log in, or push the "add to cart" button :  

Code:  

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at c:phpdevwwwcatalogincludesfunctionshtml_output.php:2) in c:phpdevwwwcataloglogin.php on line 43  

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at c:phpdevwwwcatalogincludesfunctionshtml_output.php:2) in c:phpdevwwwcatalogincludesfunctionsgeneral.php on line 23  

I would check the two files listed above first.

Using tep snapshot 02022003. getting the following errors after installing sid killer version 1.0 when going to site!

at top of page

Parse error: parse error, expecting `')'' in /home/moogrets/public_html/store/catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php on line 286

where column left should start

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_draw_pull_down_menu() in /home/moogrets/public_html/store/catalog/includes/boxes/manufacturers.php on line 48

any ideas where to look? for now I have switched back to backups of application_top.php and html_output.php :cry: