• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

USPS Module Won't Install

jduehmig

I am setting up my first osCommerce site for a customer. Since they only offer USPS priority shipping, I downloaded and tried to install the USPS Methods contribution. I (thought) I followed all the installation instructions but ended up with a database error when I tried to install the module from the admin console. (Note that I did NOT run any SQL statements, since the installation instructions indicated this was only necessary if I was upgrading.) I couldn't find any information on the error I was getting, so I tried to back up by replacing the USPS.PHP files with the originals. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Now, however, I cannot make anything happen with USPS. The option shows up in the admin\modules\shipping screen, but nothing happens when I click the install button. (If I remove the usps.php files from the \modules directory, the option goes away.)

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have tried going back to older versions of the USPS Method files with no luck. I have copied fresh versions of the USPS.PHP files from the source, again with no change. Please tell me I don't have to reinstall osCommerce!

Thanks,

Joe

I am setting up my first osCommerce site for a customer. Since they only offer USPS priority shipping, I downloaded and tried to install the USPS Methods contribution. I (thought) I followed all the installation instructions but ended up with a database error when I tried to install the module from the admin console. (Note that I did NOT run any SQL statements, since the installation instructions indicated this was only necessary if I was upgrading.) I couldn't find any information on the error I was getting, so I tried to back up by replacing the USPS.PHP files with the originals. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Now, however, I cannot make anything happen with USPS. The option shows up in the admin\modules\shipping screen, but nothing happens when I click the install button. (If I remove the usps.php files from the \modules directory, the option goes away.)

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have tried going back to older versions of the USPS Method files with no luck. I have copied fresh versions of the USPS.PHP files from the source, again with no change. Please tell me I don't have to reinstall osCommerce!

Thanks,

Joe

I'm not sure if this is the same module you used, but I used this one,

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5782

and it worked for me, but please note that in the installation steps you have to make modifications to catalog/admin/modules.php

catalog/admin/includes/functions/general.php

In steps 5 and 6 respectively. I didn't notice anything that said part of was not needed unless you were already running the UPSXML_v1_2_3_1 MOD.

Also don't forget to upload the includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/usps.php file as it wont work right without it.

If you try this and it still doesn't work please give the exact error message you get. It may help diagnose the problem.

I hope this helps.

I'm not sure if this is the same module you used, but I used this one,

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5782

and it worked for me, but please note that in the installation steps you have to make modifications to catalog/admin/modules.php

catalog/admin/includes/functions/general.php

In steps 5 and 6 respectively. I didn't notice anything that said part of was not needed unless you were already running the UPSXML_v1_2_3_1 MOD.

Also don't forget to upload the includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/usps.php file as it wont work right without it.

If you try this and it still doesn't work please give the exact error message you get. It may help diagnose the problem.

I hope this helps.

David,

I did not use the module you referenced, as I assumed it was an add-on to an already working USPS system. (Also, insurance is not needed for this site.) The module I originally tried to install was http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,487.

I did upload the usps.php files into both stated locations, and I updated the general.php and modules.php files per the installation instructions. When I received the database errors I attempted to back out my changes by removing the added lines in these two files and replacing the usps.php files with the originals. (Un)fortunately, I now have no errors to report, since nothing happens when I click the 'install' button for the USPS module.

Hope this makes sense. I don't know where to look for any other information or errors on my system.

Thanks,

Joe

David,

I did not use the module you referenced, as I assumed it was an add-on to an already working USPS system. (Also, insurance is not needed for this site.) The module I originally tried to install was http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,487.

I did upload the usps.php files into both stated locations, and I updated the general.php and modules.php files per the installation instructions. When I received the database errors I attempted to back out my changes by removing the added lines in these two files and replacing the usps.php files with the originals. (Un)fortunately, I now have no errors to report, since nothing happens when I click the 'install' button for the USPS module.

Hope this makes sense. I don't know where to look for any other information or errors on my system.

Thanks,

Joe

Ok I'm not sure if this is what happened, but you did not mention uninstalling the new mod before you removed the code, and replace the file with your old file. So what may be happening is your current module may be conflicting with the database items from the module that errored out on you. So, there are several ways to remedy this, if it is indeed the problem.

1) You can change your files back to the modle that didn't work and try to use the "uninstall button" and then re-switch and edit files back to the way they used to be, and install the one that was working.

2) You can try to restore your Database from when you backed up before you started messing with this stuff, and see if that works.

3) ... and the most dangerous option... You can go into PHPmyAdmin browse your database specifically the configuration table, and remove the USPS module items from there, then reinstall the module that was working and get back to what you had. It's not as scary as it sounds. You can actually look at the "function install()" in the USPS.php file and find out what it installed so you can get rid of it.

Good luck.

Ok I'm not sure if this is what happened, but you did not mention uninstalling the new mod before you removed the code, and replace the file with your old file. So what may be happening is your current module may be conflicting with the database items from the module that errored out on you. So, there are several ways to remedy this, if it is indeed the problem.

1) You can change your files back to the modle that didn't work and try to use the "uninstall button" and then re-switch and edit files back to the way they used to be, and install the one that was working.

2) You can try to restore your Database from when you backed up before you started messing with this stuff, and see if that works.

3) ... and the most dangerous option... You can go into PHPmyAdmin browse your database specifically the configuration table, and remove the USPS module items from there, then reinstall the module that was working and get back to what you had. It's not as scary as it sounds. You can actually look at the "function install()" in the USPS.php file and find out what it installed so you can get rid of it.

Good luck.

Already tried #1. I may try #2 but I have several other production databases on that system and I'm not that experienced with restoring MySQL databases. So I may poke around with #3.

Thanks for your help.

Joe