• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

ULTIMATE Seo Urls 5 - by FWR Media

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before; I couldn't find the answer.

How do I remove the database entries made by the two installer files?

* catalog/installer.php

* catalog/installer_class.php

It appears that to make Header Tags SEO work properly, I have to use Ultimate SEO Urls 2.1d instead of

v5. Or can I keep whatever database modifications were made during this install?

Thanks for your help,

Nick

Hi Nick

This is a url contribution it produces links where osCommerce has tep_href_link() there is no room for USU5 to not being compatible.

You CERTAINLY don't need to use that old thing.

What is the issue?

Edited by FWR Media

Hi Robert,

Well it seems to be more of an issue with the Header Tags contribution than anything. The keyword, titles, etc I choose for my products_info page don't seem to show up unless Ultimate SEO Urls 5 is set to off, though they do show up for my index page. In that forum they've just referred people to this forum, and someone else whose post I can't seem to find at the moment said that it'd be easiest to revert to your series 2.1d release. I agree with you that logically there shouldn't be any conflict between the two add-ons, but I've triple checked the installs with winmerge and can't seem to find any explanation why it's not working. By the way, the URLs are working perfectly, it's just that I wanted to get Header Tags working as well.

Hi Robert,

Well it seems to be more of an issue with the Header Tags contribution than anything. The keyword, titles, etc I choose for my products_info page don't seem to show up unless Ultimate SEO Urls 5 is set to off, though they do show up for my index page. In that forum they've just referred people to this forum, and someone else whose post I can't seem to find at the moment said that it'd be easiest to revert to your series 2.1d release. I agree with you that logically there shouldn't be any conflict between the two add-ons, but I've triple checked the installs with winmerge and can't seem to find any explanation why it's not working. By the way, the URLs are working perfectly, it's just that I wanted to get Header Tags working as well.

The only issue I've seen with header tags is when people are using the standard seo urls which are path based ... header tags uses PHP_SELF a lot which doesn't work for path based uris. Other than that .. no issues at all.

Having said this .. perhaps you may want to try the brand new KissMT dynamic SEO Meta Tags this is now fully tested and about to be released .. post in there and I'll send you the download.

Note: The one thing KissMT does not do is allow you to set the meta tags manually .. the reason is that if you wanted only to do that you would not install this or header tags you would just add a few fields to oscommerce and the admin pages.

Edited by FWR Media

I've installed the latest SEO urls 5 contrib, and must say that it lead to better performance on our website.

We're running php 5.2.1 and our host allocated 4.5% cpu on a daily basis for our account.

Well lately our website (and there is two i.e. our main and test website running off a subdomain) used +- 4.9%

After I've installed the last updated version it dropped to +- 2.75%

Great Stuff!!!

I believe this is the best supported contribution on the entire osCommerece site. If you haven't already done so, vote five stars at the top right of this page.

Question: Does anyone have experience with this contribution on a FreeBSD server with mod_security installed. I am wondering if there any problems that I may be able to prepare for prior to adding this contribution.

I believe this is the best supported contribution on the entire osCommerece site. If you haven't already done so, vote five stars at the top right of this page.

Question: Does anyone have experience with this contribution on a FreeBSD server with mod_security installed. I am wondering if there any problems that I may be able to prepare for prior to adding this contribution.

Thanks for the kind comments. I only have experience of mod_security which I run on all my servers and have no issues.

Please help me! For the Database Install, how do you run the file catalog/installer.php? I located the file, but when I click on it, it only let me edit it. So, how do you run the file? Thanks soooo much in advance :-)

Hi Sabrina

you run it by browsing to the site .. e.g.

Let's say your site is at www.mysite.com/catalog/

You would put the following in the top bar of your browser (browser being firefox or internet explorer)

http://www.mysite.com/catalog/installer.php

Just like browsing to your shop.

Hi Sabrina

you run it by browsing to the site .. e.g.

Let's say your site is at www.mysite.com/catalog/

You would put the following in the top bar of your browser (browser being firefox or internet explorer)

http://www.mysite.com/catalog/installer.php

Just like browsing to your shop.

Hi Robert,

Thanks so much for your help! I just run it and it succeeded :-) Thanks millions!!!

Hi Robert,

Thanks so much for your help! I just run it and it succeeded :-) Thanks millions!!!

A couple of more questions :-) I went back trying to delete installer.php and installer_class.php but I couldn't find them anymore. Do they delete themselves? Do I have perform the step "Traditional Rewrite Type URIs" or not?

Thank you very much for all your help :-)

A couple of more questions :-) I went back trying to delete installer.php and installer_class.php but I couldn't find them anymore. Do they delete themselves?

Yup .. they self delete.

Do I have perform the step "Traditional Rewrite Type URIs" or not?

Thank you very much for all your help :-)

You are better off with the traditional rewrite types as they are shorter .. HOWEVER .. the server has to be set up to allow RewriteRules (which most are).

Hi,

I had recently installed Version 1.0 [sTABLE] r141 [FULL PACKAGE] and came across your extras folder. Which contained a fix to make Google XML Sitemap SEO work properly. It helped make the fixed the links inside the sitemap but caused two other problems.

1) I disabled manufactorer sitemap in the admin. And before the sitemapindex.xml would not generate nor show the sitemapmanufacturers.xml file. Now it shows it and its empty, which it should be since I ahve not set any manufacturer but when i uploaded the sitemapindex.xml google saw the sitemapmanufacturers.xml within the index sitemap and gave me an error only for that part tho. The rest is almost fine which leads to my second problem

2) sitemappages.xml now according to google generates the following error:

Invalid tag value

This XML tag has an invalid value. Please fix it and resubmit.

Parent tag: url

Tag: changefreq

Value:

Problem detected on: Jan 14, 2010

Which I don't know how that happened. Can you please advice me on how to fix those two errors. Also do you happen to know if you submit sitemapindex.xml, you don't need to submit all the other sitemaps because they are including in the sitemapindex.xml already right?

Thanks

AE

Thank you in advance,

AE

Hi just wanted to add to the above post, I installed the contribution up to the step that says: "The base install is complete .. you should now be able to visit your site and it will be producing "standard" seo urls."

I don't know if that matters but it says i can stop here from what I understand.

Thanks

AE

Thank you in advance,

AE

Well this is weird. Today I uninstalled osC so that I could reinstall vanilla. This contrib worked beautifully previously might I add. However now I've tried to install it again, when doing the database part I get an error.

Installer Messages: Stage - 1

Below you will see some checks - if none are red then we are ready to install.

* All configuration values look good.

* Configuration Group auto increment to start at 17

* At least one of the tables to insert already exists!

* No tables to alter it seems.

* No fields to insert it seems.

* No fields to alter it seems.

The contrib doesn't show up at all in the admin panel though...

Yes I've seen this before the links contribution has an error in the code producing links.php?&lPath=0_2. You would need to ask for a solution in the thread for that contribution.

I have a similar problem and a post to the Links Manager 11 forum states that it is an issue with ULTIMATE Seo Urls 5 and to ask here for a solution.

After installing the Links Manager, and fiddling around with it for awhile it soon became apparent that using categories was not possible with Ultimate SEO 5 turned on, but switching off this option in Links Manager enabled the links to display, however, the link sent to the submitter when clicked results in an error page (page can not be found FWR Media). Nor is there a reference to &lPath in the script files - I have checked for this and all the references are to lPath. The author states that the link the user receives in the notification email is correct but obviously something is wrong as all I get is the error page.

http://top-oils.co.uk/links.php?lPath=1'>http://top-oils.co.uk/links.php?lPath=1

but the links are displayed here:

http://top-oils.co.uk/links.php

The weird thing is that the dev site (which is a directory called oscommerce) worked after turning SEO URLS off then on again - the same did not work for the production site which is in the root :-(

The server / site is using php5 which is why I plumped for Seo Urls 5 instead of an earlier version as this is what you recommended in the contribution message ... but now I'm wondering if it will ever work with the Links Manager.

This is my first oscommerce install and I have tried without success to get this to work .... I am no coder and yet have managed to successfully install several other contributions without any issues but now I'm completely stumped and confused.... please can anyone help???

Thanks

Edited by topoils

I have a similar problem and a post to the Links Manager 11 forum states that it is an issue with ULTIMATE Seo Urls 5 and to ask here for a solution.

After installing the Links Manager, and fiddling around with it for awhile it soon became apparent that using categories was not possible with Ultimate SEO 5 turned on, but switching off this option in Links Manager enabled the links to display, however, the link sent to the submitter when clicked results in an error page (page can not be found FWR Media). Nor is there a reference to &lPath in the script files - I have checked for this and all the references are to lPath. The author states that the link the user receives in the notification email is correct but obviously something is wrong as all I get is the error page.

http://top-oils.co.uk/links.php?lPath=1'>http://top-oils.co.uk/links.php?lPath=1

but the links are displayed here:

http://top-oils.co.uk/links.php

The weird thing is that the dev site (which is a directory called oscommerce) worked after turning SEO URLS off then on again - the same did not work for the production site which is in the root :-(

The server / site is using php5 which is why I plumped for Seo Urls 5 instead of an earlier version as this is what you recommended in the contribution message ... but now I'm wondering if it will ever work with the Links Manager.

This is my first oscommerce install and I have tried without success to get this to work .... I am no coder and yet have managed to successfully install several other contributions without any issues but now I'm completely stumped and confused.... please can anyone help???

Thanks

USU5 modules as standard turn off underscores being allowed. This is because contributions tend to use the cPath type badly , just to highlight the menu, which ends up causing duplicate content where 1_2 links to exactly the same page as just 2 (if that makes sense).

If you really must have those links just open up the module file (Usu_Links2.php in this case) and change private $suppress_underscores = true; to false.

But my advice would be not to use the menu systems of these contributions.

Edited by FWR Media

Well this is weird. Today I uninstalled osC so that I could reinstall vanilla. This contrib worked beautifully previously might I add. However now I've tried to install it again, when doing the database part I get an error.

Installer Messages: Stage - 1

Below you will see some checks - if none are red then we are ready to install.

* All configuration values look good.

* Configuration Group auto increment to start at 17

* At least one of the tables to insert already exists!

* No tables to alter it seems.

* No fields to insert it seems.

* No fields to alter it seems.

The contrib doesn't show up at all in the admin panel though...

Some of the database installation is still in place so the installer stops and shows this message.

Looks like table usu_cache is already there, drop this table then try reinstalling.

Hi just wanted to add to the above post, I installed the contribution up to the step that says: "The base install is complete .. you should now be able to visit your site and it will be producing "standard" seo urls."

I don't know if that matters but it says i can stop here from what I understand.

Thanks

AE

You can but you are limited. Better to install the rest.

Hi,

I had recently installed Version 1.0 [sTABLE] r141 [FULL PACKAGE] and came across your extras folder. Which contained a fix to make Google XML Sitemap SEO work properly. It helped make the fixed the links inside the sitemap but caused two other problems.

1) I disabled manufactorer sitemap in the admin. And before the sitemapindex.xml would not generate nor show the sitemapmanufacturers.xml file. Now it shows it and its empty, which it should be since I ahve not set any manufacturer but when i uploaded the sitemapindex.xml google saw the sitemapmanufacturers.xml within the index sitemap and gave me an error only for that part tho. The rest is almost fine which leads to my second problem

2) sitemappages.xml now according to google generates the following error:

Invalid tag value

This XML tag has an invalid value. Please fix it and resubmit.

Parent tag: url

Tag: changefreq

Value:

Problem detected on: Jan 14, 2010

Which I don't know how that happened. Can you please advice me on how to fix those two errors. Also do you happen to know if you submit sitemapindex.xml, you don't need to submit all the other sitemaps because they are including in the sitemapindex.xml already right?

Thanks

AE

I added the site map fix to help users but I'm not going to keep updating it every time jack mcs fiddles with it.

Someone ought to tell him to convert the script to use the correct tep_href_link() function then there would be no issues. His answer would be that USU5 is not compatible but the truth is that the scripts are not written correctly, tep_href_link() is the standard osCommerce function and should always be available. If a script uses tep_href_link() USU5 works .. end of story.

I added the corrected sitemap files in June so probably version Sitemap SEO V 1.4 Jack has added 3 updates since, all of which are STILL hardcoded to the old series 2 seo urls and do not use tep_href_link().

Edited by FWR Media

Hi,

I have a search engine question regarding duplicate content. I am using a very old version of oscommerce and I could never get any SEO contributions to work on it so I ran a database query to change all of the products page title headers to equal the product name. Do you think that having the page title the same as the product name on each page is bad for the search engines? I am currently rebuilding a new website to replace the old one and I just installed Seo Urls 5 which puts the product name in the web address as well. So my question is, will having the url, page title, and product title all the same hurt my search engine rankings? Also I was wondering if this contribution is supposed to work with google checkout. My google checkout was working fine until I installed Seo 5. Now I get some mad errors saying something about headers not being able to be resent. Any and all input is welcome. Thank you!

Brent

Hi,

I have a search engine question regarding duplicate content. I am using a very old version of oscommerce and I could never get any SEO contributions to work on it so I ran a database query to change all of the products page title headers to equal the product name. Do you think that having the page title the same as the product name on each page is bad for the search engines? I am currently rebuilding a new website to replace the old one and I just installed Seo Urls 5 which puts the product name in the web address as well. So my question is, will having the url, page title, and product title all the same hurt my search engine rankings? Also I was wondering if this contribution is supposed to work with google checkout. My google checkout was working fine until I installed Seo 5. Now I get some mad errors saying something about headers not being able to be resent. Any and all input is welcome. Thank you!

Brent

If you want powerful meta tags that are simple to install on any shop see KissMT it is just about ready to release. If you post in the dev forum I'll send you a download link. Just do the basic install which will take minutes.

Re: Google checkout usually with seo url contributions errors are caused by the W3C option being set to true, see if the problem persists with W3C off.

Edited by FWR Media

Hi i got a problem, I do every steps again and again for 5 time. And I just cant get the installer.php running.. It show me blank whenever i go in. and nothing is happen.. can enlight with your knowledge?

The installer runs fine and has no errors so something else is wrong.

What version of PHP are you running?

For anyone who is having trouble with google XML sitemaps I will include a complete file after this post.

It really is a simple thing and does not require a contribution, if this one works ok I'll add it to the USU5 package and delete the patch file for jacks contribution as he obviously has no intention of correcting it to use the propper tep_href_link() function.

How to install it: -

Upload usu5_sitemap_create.php to the root of your site (permissions 0644 is fine).

Create 3 blank files and also upload them to the root of your site, these are: -

sitemapIndex.xml

sitemapCategories.xml

sitemapProducts.xml

Ensure that the permissions for these 3 blank files are 0676 ( if when you run the fwr_sitemap_create.php the script complains that it can't write to these you may have to try 0755 then 0777 ).

browse to the file like .. www.mysite.com/catalog/usu5_sitemap_create.php

Your 3 sitemap files should have been created and can be set in Google Webmaster Tools.

To set up a cron you need to do ..

* * * * * * wget -q http://www.somesite.com/folder/usu5_sitemap_create.php >/dev/null 2>&1

Let me know how it goes.