• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

QuickBooks Contrib

VyReN

Whenever i import the item Description is blank. How do i have it filled in w/ the description? I tried filling it in but whenever i import again. it overrights it.

Also.. I put Yes on the Mark as paid yet it doens't do it?

thanks to those who can help.

q.jpg

Edited by superman123

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having similar issues to everyone else with IIF files that crash Quickbooks when I try to import them. I have seen the posts about looking through the file for something odd or wierd words, but honestly I have no idea what I'm looking at - it's just a bunch of text and spaces and I have no idea where anything belongs. Is there a way to fix this issue at the source? Do I not have the script configured correctly?

• 2 weeks later...

If you are having troubles with the TAX version, like I and so many others have, with it crashing on import, try this version from Justin:

http://diyreef.com/qb_iif_taxv_test.zip

It's mentioned a few pages back.

I installed the NOTAX version first, just to get the feel of it. My store is set to TAX so it pompted a message box on importing (and rightfully so, I have TAX enabled).

I next tried the NO TAX version. It's just a matter of swapping the qb_iif_sale.php file. When I tried to import the IIF file, it crashed. I was not entirely familiar with some of the settings, like class name, etc. We just use QB in it's simplest form.

I next tried the file in, http://diyreef.com/qb_iif_taxv_test.zip

This one was easier to understand, not as many settings. It does import, and did work. One thing I've noticed is that weights are not stored, so when we go to ship via FEDEX, we have to recalc weight for the shipping. Any suggestions on how to overcome this? Trying to automate as much as possible! Is there weight field(s) in QB for a product, that can be transferred to FedEx shipping?

I'm quite impressed. I had to read a good deal, and there are some updates/files scattered through the various posts. But once I got a good working version, it was very easy to setup/work with.

Thanks for the contribution and the hard efforts you all have put in this. Once can look at the code and easily see there is a LOT of hard work in this!

• 1 month later...
  Alternatively it would be much easier to just download your ORDERS_TABLE in a tab delimited format and save it to Excel.  You can then import the .xls files directly into QBs by following the directions in the QB Help Index.  After that, you can then use this contribution to download and import the .iif file whenever you feel like it and update your accounting software for the past days/week/months sales from this point onward.  HTH

Could you possibly explain a little more how to download the ORDERS_TABLE in a tab delimited format? I have downloaded the data in the orders table from mysql but it only contains the customers and their addresses. Do you combine this information with the other orders tables such as orders_products?

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Eric Heath

I read that this does not work with grouped products. Does this mean products that have different product options such as size: small, medium, large that you would set in the admin under product attributes?

If it does not work with products like this, would it not import the product name, or what would happen if I tried to use this mod?

"communicating your business message through the web"

Kevin Javitz

I read that this does not work with grouped products. Does this mean products that have different product options such as size: small, medium, large that you would set in the admin under product attributes?

If it does not work with products like this, would it not import the product name, or what would happen if I tried to use this mod?

There are two different issues here.

The current contribution does not work properly with osC product attributes. Since Quickbooks does not have such a thing as attributes, each product/attribute pair needs to be mapped to a different QB product. The contributions do not have this function, and also do not correctly change the sale price (in cases where the attribute increases or decreases the price).

Groups is a feature in QB, that allows you to assemble a product using various sub-products. The current contributions are not able to put group products in the iif file.

The good news is that I have been working furiously on a brand new comprehensive Quickbooks import contribution that solves both of these problems and numerous others. It may be configured with many options, and it is also super easy to instal as it is not necessary to modify any osC files (except for a few language definitions for the text) or modify any files in the contribution. I hope to have it ready in a week or so.

Thanks,

Adam Liberman

Great! sounds good. I'll support your development with some $ when it is ready.

I appreciate the gesture and that you appreciate my time, although I'm not sure if accepting $ support for a contribution is proper and in the spirit of the osC community. I've searched the forums and can't find any reference to it one way or another -- maybe someone can shed some light? I have spent about 4 long days (weekend and work days) so far on it. In my own store, I need to make the entry into Quickbooks as lightning fast as possible, so I hope that this will both help me and many other people.

Does this contribution work only with QuickBooks?  Or does is support the Quicken QIF as well?

As far as I know, Quicken Home and Business does not support products or inventory, so I'm not sure if this would make any sense. Also, Intuit is phasing out the QIF file format. In short, I don't have plans to make it work with Quickbooks, but will try to make it work with as many versions of Quickbooks as possible.

- Adam

I appreciate the gesture and that you appreciate my time, although I'm not sure if accepting $ support for a contribution is proper and in the spirit of the osC community. I've searched the forums and can't find any reference to it one way or another -- maybe someone can shed some light? I have spent about 4 long days (weekend and work days) so far on it. In my own store, I need to make the entry into Quickbooks as lightning fast as possible, so I hope that this will both help me and many other people.

As far as I know, Quicken Home and Business does not support products or inventory, so I'm not sure if this would make any sense. Also, Intuit is phasing out the QIF file format. In short, I don't have plans to make it work with Quickbooks, but will try to make it work with as many versions of Quickbooks as possible.

- Adam

There's absolutely nothing wrong with accepting monetary donations for your work on contributions. I think it would be against the "spirit" of the community to require monetary payment for your contribution, but even that would not be against the GPL. The GPL specifically says that you can charge any amount you want to for your software, but the people who buy it have every right to distribute it (with or without charge) once they have it.

Chris Dunning

osCommerce, Contributions Moderator Team

Please do not send me PM! I do not read or answer these often. Use the email button instead!

I do NOT support contributions other than my own. Emails asking for support on other people's contributions will be ignored. Ask in the forum or contact the contribution author directly.

A great way to be recognized for your hard work is to post a wishlist from a store like Amazon.com. This way you are not requiring payment, but it gives people the option of making a "script donation".

There's absolutely nothing wrong with accepting monetary donations for your work on contributions.

A great way to be recognized for your hard work is to post a wishlist from a store like Amazon.com.

Thanks both of you for the suggestions. I certainly don't have anything against being compensated for my time, and financially it would be a big help (one reason I didn't start the contribution earlier was that I couldn't afford to give up the work time). So, if it doesn't seem to violate any group ethics, I'll make a way for people to contribute by PayPal, (maybe credit card), and Amazon wish list.

Of course, the contribution will be available for free in the contribution section.

Now, back to working on it!

Thanks,

Adam

Just an update:

I am still working hard on getting the my new Quickbooks Import contribution ready. It is taking a little longer to do, as the mapping system between osC and QB products is a little involved. When it is ready, you will be able to assign any osC product or product & attribute to any Quickbooks product or product group (as well as of course just use the same product name in both). There will be many other nifty features! I will of course ask for input and suggestions from eveyone, but right now I'm concentrating on getting version 1.0 working and ready. I hope by the end of this week.

Thanks,

Adam

Do you have anyone working with you on this project at the moment? Just curious what the life expectancy is of this contribution if you get busy with something else. I would be nice to have it continue on with each new release of osC/Quickbooks. I probably am not the one to be contributing to this (yet) since I am still a greenhorn at osC... just curious!

Do you have anyone working with you on this project at the moment?

No, contributions are usually done one person at a time, as it isn't set up on a cvs to make concurrent colaboration easy. But once it is out of course people will usually make suggestions for code improvement or post fixes in the forum, which I will incorporate as appropriate in revisions. Of course, anyone is free to modify someone else's contribution and post a new version, but I'd like a crack at improving and maintaining it myself as long as I have the time.

Just curious what the life expectancy is of this contribution if you get busy with something else.  I would be nice to have it continue on with each new release of osC/Quickbooks.

I will try my best to keep it up-to-date. I plan to update it for osC 2.2 MS3 as soon as I can after MS3 is out. The first release of the contribution will already work with either tep_ or osc_ functions, but I don't know yet if any other changes will be needed for MS3. QB 2005 just came out, as far as I can tell it won't need any changes for that. I plan to make it work with older versions of QB that have 4-line addresses via a setting in the configuration screen.

Thanks,

Adam

Update on my new QB contribution:

It's taking a little longer than I hoped, but progressing nicely. I've spent about 60 hours on it so far! At this point, all the main functionality is working nicely. Still some smaller items left to finish.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for the hard work you have put into this so far. I was wondering if you were writing this with the PayPal IPN contrib in mind? The problem I have is orders that are check/money order generate the .iif file, but when users choose PayPal, the .iif does not get generated.

I tried a few things, but I am still a novice and could not get the code incorporated into the PayPal IPN files correctly. Just wanted to bring this to your attention and see if you had any plans on including this functionality.

Scott

"There is no doubt about precisely when folks began racing each other in automobiles. It was the day they built the second automobile." - Richard Petty

Scott,

My contribution is written from scratch and doesn't use any code from the existing Quickbooks iif contributions, so hopefully it will solve the existing problems(although I can't guarantee perfection :rolleyes: ). It is also completely self contained, so you won't have to modify any existing osC files (except slightly for the language defs and menus). It pulls the order information from the osC database, so as long as the order is showing up in your pending orders it should import correctly, and which payment module you use should make no difference. Are your PayPal orders showing up as pending orders? If not, then the problem may be with the PayPal payment module and not with the iif generation. I haven't used the PayPal contribution myself though.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for the hard work you have put into this so far.  I was wondering if you were writing this with the PayPal IPN contrib in mind?  The problem I have is orders that are check/money order generate the .iif file, but when users choose PayPal, the .iif does not get generated.

I tried a few things, but I am still a novice and could not get the code incorporated into the PayPal IPN files correctly.  Just wanted to bring this to your attention and see if you had any plans on including this functionality.

Scott

Are your PayPal orders showing up as pending orders? If not, then the problem may be with the PayPal payment module and not with the iif generation.

My PayPal orders show up as PayPal Processing and not pending so they do not generate an .iff file with the current QuickBooks contribution. I think there is a fix with the latest PayPal IPN contribution, but I just haven't had time to install it yet so I'm doing them manually for now. :(

I'm looking forward to your new contribution, too! :D

Scott,

Thanks for taking the initiative to do this project. I had attempted to start it in the past but was only able to get as far as export/importing the customer information. The barrier to me was matching to the QuickBooks groupings. An approach I was taking was to make an export of the QuickBooks items and putting it in a directory on the server. Then when exporting the order information I would do a search for each item (part number) in the QuickBooks exported file and replacing the OSC part number with the QuickBooks part number (with the category information included). Only problem I had is that I'm not a programmer and doing the search was beyond my programming abilities. It sounds like you're adding a field which will include the category information, then append it to the part number. Will this require us to go back and edit all of or products and add this information in osC? I like the searching in the text file a bit better because the grouping in QuickBooks is dynamic and changes in the groupings in QB will not require making the same changes in osC.

I was considering hiring a programmer to write the same contribution you're working on. You have just saved me a nice chunk of change. Maybe I can wash your car once a week for the next year as a gesture of my appriciation. :)

Now that QB 2005 is out, does anybody know if there are any new features or fixes which makes this worth upgrading to (from QB 2004)? I see they added UPS shipping to it, after I just purchased a UPS shipping product a few months ago. Otherwise I don't see much listed. I would like to be able to scan part numbers directly into QB, but with the grouping feature it doesn't work. They also say that reports have been enhanced, what ever that means. I'd be interested in hearing from others if they found anything which makes it worth upgrading to.

-Mark

Hi Mark,

Scott,

Thanks for taking the initiative to do this project.

Your welcome! I think you meant "Adam" -- Scott was the previous poster who asked me a question.

I had attempted to start it in the past but was only able to get as far as export/importing the customer information.  The barrier to me was matching to the QuickBooks groupings.  An approach I was taking was to make an export of the QuickBooks items and putting it in a directory on the server.

That's basically what's happening, but the QB products are put into a new table in the database. Then there are a few more tables that keep track of the QB groups, and the linking between QB groups and osC products and products/options.

It sounds like you're adding a field which will include the category information, then append it to the part number.  Will this require us to go back and edit all of or products and add this information in osC?

No changes are made in the product set-up in osC. There is a screen in my contribution that lets you match osC products to QB items. You can do this with all your products in one screen -- it is not necessary to edit each product.

I like the searching in the text file a bit better because the grouping in QuickBooks is dynamic and changes in the groupings in QB will not require making the same changes in osC.

My contribution will need to know about changes in the QB groups. That is because the iif file has to include not only the name of the QB group, but also list each group item and the quantity and cost of each item in the group. This is a requirement of the QB iif file format. But it will be easy to do -- you will just import an iif file of your QB items into the contribution. Any existing product matchings will be preserved, and any changes in groups will be automatically made.

I was considering hiring a programmer to write the same contribution you're working on.  You have just saved me a nice chunk of change.  Maybe I can wash your car once a week for the next year as a gesture of my appriciation.  :)

It may be hard for you to wash my car, since I'm in California, but I when I put up the contribution I will provide information for anyone who feels generous and wishes to make a donation. I don't think I'll get rich, but it will help to make up for the work time I've lost diverted to this project and help make it possible for me to do future improvements (including maybe an even more full featured version in C++).

Now that QB 2005 is out, does anybody know if there are any new features or fixes which makes this worth upgrading to (from QB 2004)?  I see they added UPS shipping to it, after I just purchased a UPS shipping product a few months ago.  Otherwise I don't see much listed.

I use QB 2004 Pro, and at least looking at the QB web site for me I don't see a substantial improvement in 2005 worth spending the money on. I use ShipRush for UPS shipping -- the stand-alone version has more features than the version integrated into QB, so I don't feel bad having spent the money for it.

- Adam

Adam,

Sorry about that, I actually looked back and noted your name before posting but for some reason I typed Scott. It sounds like you're creating an excellent contribution with everything well thought out in advance. I'm looking forward to it.

Mark