The e-commerce.

QuickBooks Contrib

VyReN

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is another question...

I have removed the function that will creat products in QB, if they are not already in there.

Does anyone know how to get an error from QB during import if that item is not in there?

Maybe I missed something, cause if the item is not in there it still cretes a service item using the Model Number, but does not add any info.

Is that how it should work -or did I miss something?

osC Contributions I have published.

Note: Some I only provided minor changes, updates or additions!

Here is another question...

I have removed the function that will creat products in QB, if they are not already in there.

Does anyone know how to get an error from QB during import if that item is not in there?

Maybe I missed something, cause if the item is not in there it still cretes a service item using the Model Number, but does not add any info.

Is that how it should work -or did I miss something?

QB does not always generate error messages when the iif import fails. That's an issue with QB, and there isn't a way around that (without using the SDK). If you removed the part in the old contribution that creates products with each order, you must make sure that your osC products already exist in QB, and that the product name(QB)/model(osC) is spelled identically in both (the description(QB)/name(osC) is not required to be identical).

My new contribution will let you export your osC products to QB, or alternately, match your existing QB products to osC products, even with different names. You will also be able to do the same with osC products with attributes, QB sub items, and QB product groups.

I am working furiously at all hours to get it done. Have spent nearly 100 hours at this point!

- Adam

Adam,

I guess it is working correctly then, I was hoping I could make it toss an error...-oh well...

I have code that exports the items in OSC if you want it.

ONe thing I can't get to work on the old code is the attributes.

If I have an attribute it does not ad the value to the description. I cahnged the blank space memo to a value to see if it was inporting correctly and it did, but I can't get it to grab the value in the cart - any ideas?

osC Contributions I have published.

Note: Some I only provided minor changes, updates or additions!

If I have an attribute it does not ad the value to the description.  I cahnged the blank space memo to a value to see if it was inporting correctly and it did, but I can't get it to grab the value in the cart - any ideas?

The old contribution has a number of issues, including this one. That's why I decided that the best approach was to rewrite it completely. So maybe someone else can help you, but I need to concentrate my energy on getting the new one done. If you can hold on just a little longer you'll be able to use the new one which doesn't have this problem!

Thanks,

Adam

Hi everyone,

Just another progress report on the new QB contribution. It is turning out to be a much bigger project than I had originally envisioned, but it will be able to do lots of things well!

I am getting much closer now to finishing it.

One thing I realized was that if you have a multi-lingual strore, and a customer fills out an order in a language different than your native store and QB language, the payment terms would be in the other language. So, I spent some time fixing this issue so that the terms will be in the default language and match what you have in QB. You will now also have an option to write the product description on the invoice in the customer's native language or your default language.

In testing so far, everything is working very nicely! Still have some finishing touches on the system for shipping methods and taxes substitution between osC and QB, then on to code clean up, automatic install routine, interface css, html/accessibility/css validation, additional testing, and user manual! 120 hours so far and counting.

Thanks,

Adam

I have QuickBooks 2000 Pro will this contribution work with that?

Yes, it will. It has an option to set it for whatever US version (International versions later) of QB you have. At this time, the only difference that option will make is to convert addresses to 3 lines max instead of 5 lines max for QB versions 2002 and earlier. Since I only have QB 2004 Pro to test it with, and the documentation for iif files is sparce, users will have to alert me to any issues that appear with old QB versions so that I can make corrections. But some of the sample iif files that Intuit posts as models are as old as 1998, so I don't at this time anticipate problems.

Thanks,

Adam

How hard do you think it would be to get your soon-to-be-released mod to work with MS1? I know some things have changed - but I was wondering if the list of differences to make this available was small enough, you could share it with me so I could make the needed changes myself. I plan on upgrading my store to MS2 eventually - but for now I would really like to be able to use this.

Thank you adam!! Would it be possible for you to provide me a link to this contribution? thanks! And is this one do tax as well?

Maddie

Yes, it will. It has an option to set it for whatever US version (International versions later) of QB you have. At this time, the only difference that option will make is to convert addresses to 3 lines max instead of 5 lines max for QB versions 2002 and earlier. Since I only have QB 2004 Pro to test it with, and the documentation for iif files is sparce, users will have to alert me to any issues that appear with old QB versions so that I can make corrections. But some of the sample iif files that Intuit posts as models are as old as 1998, so I don't at this time anticipate problems.

Thanks,

Adam

How hard do you think it would be to get your soon-to-be-released mod to work with MS1? I know some things have changed - but I was wondering if the list of differences to make this available was small enough, you could share it with me so I could make the needed changes myself. I plan on upgrading my store to MS2 eventually - but for now I would really like to be able to use this.

I don't have any plans myself to adapt it for MS1, since MS2 has been out for quite a while. I don't know off-hand if the MS2 version would work as is with MS1 or need changes. My priorities (after getting it done, of course) are to fix any bugs, add additional features that people need, and then adapt it for the upcoming MS3.

Thanks,

Adam

Thank you adam!! Would it be possible for you to provide me a link to this contribution? thanks!  And is this one do tax as well?

Maddie

It isn't done yet. As soon as it is, I will announce it here, and also start a new topic for it. And yes, it will do tax as well.

Thanks,

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

This is so great that someone is finally making a new QuickBooks module!! Any ideas on when it might be finished?

I'm using the older QuickBooks contribution with Tax, and our company is running into the problem of matching the credit card payments with the order invoices. It takes so much time. I found a program called ChargeBooks that is supposed to speed up the process.

What I'm wondering is if this new contribution will allow you to import the orders as sales receipts instead of invoices. Wouldn't that be a little bit faster? Is it recommended that invoices be used? Also, will this contribution import the payment method used such as Visa, Mastercard, etc? Would this contribution work with QuickBooks Online version?

Thanks!

This is so great that someone is finally making a new QuickBooks module!!  Any ideas on when it might be finished?

I haven't been able to work on it for a little bit due to holidays and vacation, but am hoping to get some solid time in on it this weekend. It is getting close, and my aim is to try to finish it by the end of the year.

I'm using the older QuickBooks contribution with Tax, and our company is running into the problem of matching the credit card payments with the order invoices.  It takes so much time.  I found a program called ChargeBooks that is supposed to speed up the process.

Thanks for the tip.

What I'm wondering is if this new contribution will allow you to import the orders as sales receipts instead of invoices.  Wouldn't that be a little bit faster?  Is it recommended that invoices be used?

What a great idea! I will test this, and if it works ok then make that an option. If you are importing a sale without payment, then it needs to be an invoice. But if the customer has paid online, then yes this may be faster. Right now I have the option to import the payment information as well as the invoice, for those using a payment gateway. The only problem is that although Quickbooks will import the payment ok, it doesn't automatically check off the invoice as paid because it doesn't know which invoice the payment is for (even if there is only one outstanding invoice for the customer!). Hence, you have one more step. If this works ok, it would eliminate that step.

Just a clarification for others: iif can not import the credit card number. This capability is not built into it (the Quickbooks SDK can do it, but this is a much larger and future project). Also, note that the merchant account included with Quickbooks is not supposed to be used with online sales (of course, you can do what you want, but thats the legal jargon -- I think they want to charge a higher discount rate for online sales, because there is supposedly higher risk).

My suggestion is to use an online payment gateway, which will avoid you having to process the card yourself and make things a lot faster. The new contribution will import the payment information into Quickbooks, if a credit card has been used to pay online through a gateway such as authorize.net.

Also, will this contribution import the payment method used such as Visa, Mastercard, etc?

Currently it will indicate if it is a credit card charge, or a check/money order. But it doesn't say what kind of a card it is. Because different payment modules can be used with osC, this is somewhat dependent on the module you are using. So I would need to write something that would work with various modules. Also, my new contribution pulls all its information from the database, and osC does not currently store the card type anywhere in the database. But I could possible capture this information to a new database field. This is something I'll look at, but not for version 1.0.

Would this contribution work with QuickBooks Online version?

Thanks!

I don't know. It would depend if Quickbooks Online can import iif files, which I suspect it can't. But I've never tried Quickbooks Online.

Thanks,

Adam

Quickbooks does allow you to use their merchant account for online sales. They have two rates, one for card swiped and the other for "keyed" entered. To quote from their overview page "and accept credit card payments online". I'm using them and it works great, especially for end of month bank statement reconciliations.

To quote from their overview page "and accept credit card payments online".

This refers to their on-line billing feature, where you send your invoice from Quickbooks by email and the customer pays using a secure website.

I'm using them and it works great, especially for end of month bank statement reconciliations.

It looks like credit card reconciliation is greatly improved in QB 2005.

At any rate, I'm finding it time consuming to cut and paste the CC info from each sale in osC and then have to process each payment individually through QB. And since iif can't import the CC info, you'll still have to do this even with my forthcoming contribution. So, for me, I'll be switching to using a gateway as it will vastly speed up processing -- the only thing that will be needed is to download the iif, ship each order, and print the batch of invoices.

Thanks,

Adam

Would the new version be able to work with 2Checkout Payment?

Yes, it shouldn't matter what payment module you are using. If your customer is paying online by credit card, then osC will not complete the sale unless the credit card goes through. The contribution will export completed sales, and if paid by credit card, the payment as well.

Thanks,

Adam

RECONCILING ACCOUNTS AND CREDIT CARDS PAYMENTS TO INVOICES A HEADACHE!

Any Ideas?

This isn't directly related to this contribution (though it may be), but I wanted to ask all of you how you reconcile (or whatever you call it) your invoices to the credit card payments you receive. This is becoming a real headache for me. My site accepts Visa, MC, Amex, Discover and PayPal. I'm using Authorize.net as the payment gateway, and I get the credit card payments from customers deposited in batches daily into my company checking account. I'm using the QuickBooks contribution to download orders into QuickBooks 2004.

So bascially, I get several orders a day, and being that the QuickBooks Contribution downloads the orders as Invoices, each one must be marked as paid. I have to go into my bank statement and get the latest batch of cc deposits, then go to Authorize.Net to see what actual cc payments correspond to which batch, then go to QuickBooks and match each cc transaction to it's invoice to mark as paid. Then I have to reconcile the whole batch to the bank statement so it all works out nicely. What a pain! Then we have the merchant account and payment gateway fees that are taken out which makes the whole process even more difficult. The batch don't exactly add up sometimes because you don't know all the fees that were taken out.

How do you guys get around this problem? Can you have your merchant account and gateway take out the fees later, in one lump sum? Is there software that you use to reconcile automatically?

If this new contribution can import the orders as sales receipts instead of invoices, then I think that would solve half this problem. Also Adam, I think you'd have to make it so that if the customer orders using check or money order then it will come in as an invoice, otherwise it will come in as a sales receipt (because it's paid immediately using a cc). However, there is still a problem with the merchant fees being taken out of each batch, which is a big pain.

Any ideas in speeding up this whole process would be much appreciated. I'm assuming most OSC stores don't even worry about this because I've never heard anyone talk about it in the forums. As for our company, we want the books to be right.

RECONCILING ACCOUNTS AND CREDIT CARDS PAYMENTS TO INVOICES A HEADACHE!

Any Ideas?

The batch don't exactly add up sometimes because you don't know all the fees that were taken out.

I use Authorize.net through Wells Fargo. The CC charges get deposited to my bank account for their full value, and the discount fees and gateway/merchant account fees show as a separate withdrawal. The Quickbooks Merchant Account now does this also -- before it was a nightmare to match up. But personally, I've given up on trying to reconcile the merchant account reports, because it is so confusing and time consuming, as you say. I just reconcile my bank account.

How do you guys get around this problem?  Can you have your merchant account and gateway take out the fees later, in one lump sum?  Is there software that you use to reconcile automatically? 

Philip a few posts back mentioned a product called ChargeBooks that helps with reconciling merchant accounts using Quickbooks.

If this new contribution can import the orders as sales receipts instead of invoices, then I think that would solve half this problem.

Yes, it now has the option to do that. I added it yesterday (based on previous suggestions in this forum!).

Also Adam, I think you'd have to make it so that if the customer orders using check or money order then it will come in as an invoice, otherwise it will come in as a sales receipt (because it's paid immediately using a cc).

Already accounted for. Check / money order purchases always import as invoices, CC orders have the option to import as sales receipts, invoice only, or invoice with payment.

Thanks,

Adam

I have installed the contib.

it works for new orders.

What do i need to change to get all the orders in our database into the iif file

The old contribution generates the iif "on the fly" and can only make an iif file for new orders.

The new contribution that I am working on uses the database and has the ability to make an iif from all orders. You'll need to just hold on a little longer and I'll have it ready!

Thanks,

Adam