osCommerce

The e-commerce.

QuickBooks Contrib

VyReN

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could somebody help? I am in process of installing this mod and got to step 3, in catalog/create_account.php, I seem to be having trouble finding this line: $email_text .= EMAIL_WELCOME . EMAIL_TEXT . EMAIL_CONTACT . EMAIL_WARNING;

I have done searches and found nothing, am I in the right file? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-altDev

James Scheller

Has anyone worked with the QuickBooks SDK or is everyone using IIF files ? I would like to use the SDK and handle real time events (i.e. when an order goes into osCommerce or a customer changes their address, automatically push the information into Quickbooks). I would also rather not start from scratch !

Also - do any active Quickbooks users know the number of inventory items that QB PRO/Premier will support ?

I am currently using MYOB and am thinking of switching to quickbooks because it has a better interface for import/export that MYOB.

Thanks,

Michael Glas

Michael,

Has anyone worked with the QuickBooks SDK or is everyone using IIF files ? I would like to use the SDK and handle real time events (i.e. when an order goes into osCommerce or a customer changes their address, automatically push the information into Quickbooks). I would also rather not start from scratch !

I'm working hard on getting my new iif import contribution ready! Up to about 70 hours so far, and hoping I'm able to finish it this weekend.

I agree with you that making a program using the SDK is the best way to go (but a lot more time consuming to do) -- more robust error checking, more capabilities, complete support from Intuit, etc. I was thinking of designing something with the SDK using C++ in the future, but if you are up to the task I'd say go for it. Just let us know so that we don't duplicate efforts.

How is your web server set up? Is it on site or a dedicated server? I'm using a shared server at a hosting company. I believe that last I checked (but I'll check again) they don't allow a direct connection to the MySQL database from an outside connection. Therefore, even designing an import utility in the SDK, I would still need to export the order data from osC in some kind of file format (it could be a modified iif, with increased capabilities). The real-time, two-way transfer that you suggest would be great -- I just don't know how many osC users have the capability to make a direct connection to the database like you apparently are able to do, so there would still be a need to go the iif route for those users that can't.

Thanks,

Adam

MySQL can be set up to allow remote connections for only one username/password combination, or from only one IP (or range of IPs). You might want to ask your host if they would allow you to connect remotely with such limitations. I would love to see something that connects directly to the osC database, that would be fantastic. My store is hosted on a dedicated server in a datacenter in another state, so I have all the access that I need other than actually physically visiting the server.

Chris Dunning

osCommerce, Contributions Moderator Team

Please do not send me PM! I do not read or answer these often. Use the email button instead!

I do NOT support contributions other than my own. Emails asking for support on other people's contributions will be ignored. Ask in the forum or contact the contribution author directly.

I apologize for asking what is most likely a very simple question but bare with me...

if i understood the install directions correctly,

create qb_sale directory -CHMOD 777

this will then create a qb_sales.iif file - also CHMOD 777

is it not possible though for anyone to simply go to:

http://www.mydomain.com/qb_sale/qb_sales.iif and see the file?

I am concerned with security first and foremost and am a little confused with how the file is retrieved ....

also, i had given this thought a test run on a store and the file displayed as a text file for all to see....

any help is appreciated!

I apologize for asking what is most likely a very simple question but bare with me...

if i understood the install directions correctly,

create qb_sale directory -CHMOD 777

this will then create a qb_sales.iif file - also CHMOD 777

is it not possible though for anyone to simply go to:

http://www.mydomain.com/qb_sale/qb_sales.iif and see the file?

I am concerned with security first and foremost and am a little confused with how the file is retrieved ....

also, i had given this thought a test run on a store and the file displayed as a text file for all to see....

any help is appreciated!

You need to go to the control panel that your ISP gives you for your web site and password protect the qb_sale (as well as the admin) directories.

You can retrieve the file through FTP, using a program such as WS FTP.

- Adam

Hi All,

Just an update -- I am still working hard on the new contribution and will have it ready as soon as possible!

Quick question:

QB versions 2004 & 2005 allow 5 address lines for customers. Am I correct that all previous versions only allow 3 address lines (including the name/company line)? If you have an older version and this is not correct, please let me know what version you have and the number of address lines.

Thanks!

Adam

Hi Adam,

I have been following your contribution for a little while, and believe that it would be a good choice to use with our site, I have however one problem, I work with osc in the UK and the quick books 2002 pro version I use is the UK one.

That last time I installed your contribution it worked great until I tried to import the iif files int QB, but failed miserably crashig QB completely with no info on why :angry:

After a bit of reading on uk boards about QB 2002 PRO uk edition, it seams that there are differences in the way the fields are named/ mapped and also there are uk specific fields too.

No I know from looking at intuit's resources on USA sites that the file structure for invoice and customer for US version are free, but sadly in uk intuit want to charge $600 just to tell us what the diffrences are :'( ( I believe 5 fields)

Is the any possibility that your contribution can be adapted to work on UK QB 2002 PRO.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Andy

Literally, Laterally Thinking! If you cannot get through it, go round it.

You need to go to the control panel that your ISP gives you for your web site and password protect the qb_sale (as well as the admin) directories.

You can retrieve the file through FTP, using a program such as WS FTP.

- Adam

Adam,

thank you for your response - i will be sure to password protect the qb_sale directory - will that prevent the data from writing to the file?

also, is the file supposed to view as a text file in the browser if the address is displayed or should it prompt to download it?

thanks again for your help!

Hi Andy,

Hi Adam,

I have been following your contribution for a little while, and believe that it would be a good choice to use with our site,

Thanks!

I have however one problem, I work with osc in the UK and the quick books 2002 pro version I use is the UK one.

That last time I installed your contribution it worked great until I tried to import the iif files int QB, but failed miserably crashig QB completely with no info on why  :angry:

The previous contribution wasn't written by me, but I made some fixes in a previous contribution and reposted it. That isn't to put down the previous one -- I've been using it myself for some time -- but the new one I am working on is completely written from scratch and uses no code from the old one.

Quickbooks has only minimal error checking for iif files, so if something isn't right it may fail without saying why, or may say that the import was successfull when it wasn't. This is partly why Intuit doesn't want to support it, and may at some time drop it from QB. This is also why, after I get this contribution working well, I'd like to work on another one based on the Quickbooks SDK. That being said, as long as the iif file is created correctly and free of any errors that could cause import problems, the process works perfectly. I am designing the contribution to check the data as well as possible (remove unexpected line feeds in a street address, for example - I thought of this because I ran into this exact problem using the current contribution, which doesn't check for that) so that it doesn't pass any errors into the iif file.

After a bit of reading on uk boards about QB 2002 PRO uk edition, it seams that there are differences in the way the fields are named/ mapped and also there are uk specific fields too.

No I know from looking at intuit's resources on USA sites that the file structure for invoice and customer for US version are free, but sadly in uk intuit want to charge $600 just to tell us what the diffrences are  :'(  ( I believe 5 fields)

I looked into this and found some useful information. There is a utility for creating iif files from Excel spreadsheets made by Big Red Consulting at http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutCreator.htm

You can download a trial version for free. It has sample files that include UK VAT. By using the tool to create an iif file from the sample UK Excel file, you can see the format and the fields that have to be added.

Is the any possibility that your contribution can be adapted to work on UK QB 2002 PRO.

Yes, it looks like that is quite possible but a little bit of work. The contribution is quite modular in design (as well as completely multilingual -- BTW, I will release it in English and Spanish, with instructions in both languages, and add any other languages that others give me), so it will be possible to do it and add this option in the configuration panel. Because that would delay the release, I'd like to get it finished as it is now for US versions of Quickbooks, and add the UK (as well as possibly Australian and Canadian) capability in a future release. Or if I don't have time to do that part, maybe someone else can add it.

BTW, correction on my earlier post -- I believe it is QB versions 2003 and up that have 5 address lines, and 2002 and below that have 3 address lines.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam,

thank you for your response - i will be sure to password protect the qb_sale directory - will that prevent the data from writing to the file?

also, is the file supposed to view as a text file in the browser if the address is displayed or should it prompt to download it?

thanks again for your help!

The password protection and the CHMOD setting work differently and independently. The password protection for the directory prevents anyone from accessing and seeing the page or file through a web browser (Internet Explorer, etc). The CHMOD setting controls what users or processes on the server can read or write to a file.

You actually can go to the file in your browser and download it as a text file, but it doesn't work because all the tabs get replaced with multiple spaces. Also, the current Quickbooks contribution will continue to keep adding new transactions to the iif file. You have to delete it from the web server immediately after downloading it, otherwise the next time all the old transactions will be imported again. Quickbooks doesn't check this, so you'll end up with duplicate invoices. For that reason, I still suggest you use an FTP utility such as WS_FTP available at http://www.ipswitch.com

You may also be able to transfer the file using the software you use to author your site, such as Dreamweaver, but it makes it a little more complicated because with WS_FTP you can save the file to any folder on your computer and not just transfer it into your web site directory.

Thanks,

Adam

Hi again Adam,

Many thanks for your reply, have downloaded the tool you mentioned, and will give it a shot.

You view on adding new features, that would possibly cause upset in the current development stage, I agree with (my boss has done it to me with ' can you just... '), and would be best left for future adddition to a solid code base.

Many thanks for your hard work Adam :thumbsup:

Regards

Andy

P.S. Will follow thread for future revalations.

Literally, Laterally Thinking! If you cannot get through it, go round it.

Adam,

Lokks like you are working away at this - kudos!

I was sondering if there is a timelane or date you expect to release? I have some customers who would like this, but I dont want to hack in the old one if you are close to a release.

Thanks,

Chris

osC Contributions I have published.

Note: Some I only provided minor changes, updates or additions!

Adam,

What are the odds of your new contr. handling the Specials, Salemaker pricing and the CCGV?

As of right now it replaces the price in QB, is this on the QB end? Or maybe not something that QB will allow?

Any thoughts anyone?

C-

Edited by clarocque

Adam,

Lokks like you are working away at this - kudos!

I was sondering if there is a timelane or date you expect to release?  I have some customers who would like this, but I dont want to hack in the old one if you are close to a release.

Thanks,

Chris

It is taking longer than I had originally expected, but I am pretty close. It depends on me getting a solid block of time to work on it. I might try to take a day off work this week, otherwise this weekend. If I can fit in another 10 - 15 hours this weekend, I might get it done then.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam,

What are the odds of your new contr. handling the Specials, Salemaker pricing and the CCGV?

As of right now it replaces the price in QB, is this on the QB end?  Or maybe not something that QB will allow?

Any thoughts anyone?

C-

The new contribution will handle that with no problem, because it will not alter the item details in Quickbooks and will simply put the special price on the invoice.

The old one imports the inventory items with each order, and therefore the price gets overwritten. You can wait for my new contribution, or if you can remove the lines that import the inventory items on the old contribution. Those are the lines that say !INVITEM and INVITEM. It is not necessary to import the items each time, as longs as they exist already in Quickbooks.

Thanks,

Adam

Does anyone know how to get it so it does not reset the Customers Credit Level to what is set in osC?

I have tried removing it from IIF, but seems to still remove fro QB.

There isn't a way around that, as far as I know. Even if you remove certain details about the customer in the IIF, it will replace all customer fields when you import a customer. The new contribution will allow you to set the credit level to whatever you want (as you can also do in the old one, but you have to edit the file), but it will be the same for all customers. There is no way to control the import behavior in Quickbooks between new and old customers -- if the customer is new, it will add a new customer name. If the customer exists, it will overwrite it. This is good in a way, because if your customer updates their addresses or contact information in osC, the new information will appear in Quickbooks also. But if you have changed the credit limit for particular customers, then yes it will get set back to the default when a new order is imported. If I eventually make an import utility using the Quickbooks SDK, then there will be much more control over issues like this.

Thanks,

Adam

I have installed this contribution a while ago and it has been working fine.

I have several questions or suggestions.

Is there a way to import all the previous sales that have been made previous to installing the contribution?

Can the contribution support importing the cost of the item sold if I direct it to the proper column? what part of the code would I have to edit?

Thanks

Moneer

OK...

Played around and am almost where I need to be...

This is what I have left - can anyone help?

CCGV

IS there a way to take like all of the totals and if they dont match to make it export a Discount ... SO say:

Item 1 $5.00

Item 2 $5.00

Tax $.50

Coupon: -$1.00

SubTotal: $9.50

So it would make an item "Discount" for coupon... and sorta the same if GV is used.

And I was also wondering if anyone has come up with a good way to deal with the problem of sequential invoice numbers and if make an invoice in QB, then OSC will duplicate the order number?

Oh ya - one other thing - anyone know how to change the extension price so it is no more than 2 decimals in QB (or will this break something?):

Example - Sale Items - For Amount:

Qty: 2 Item A $2.50 $5.001

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

If anyone is interested in code that exports all products in the database to iif file to import let me know... I have one that I would only need to change a few custom things.

I have installed this contribution a while ago and it has been working fine.

I have several questions or suggestions.

Is there a way to import all the previous sales that have been made previous to installing the contribution?

There is no way in the old contribution to do that. It generates the iif file as each sale is made, so it can't include previous sales.

My new contribution will have the option to import all previous sales and all osC products.

I am nearing completion on the new contribution. So far, it is working great at generating the iif files. I still have finishing touches on the interface to do and code cleanup.

Thanks,

Adam

And I was also wondering if anyone has come up with a good way to deal with the problem of sequential invoice numbers and if make an invoice in QB, then OSC will duplicate the order number?

You can avoid duplicates by using a different number sequence, e.i. start your QB invoices at 5000 or 10000 or whatever so they don't coincide with the osC invoice numbers.

But the other problem is that once you import osC invoices, the next invoice in QB will automatically be the next osC invoice number. You have to change it manually to the next QB invoice number before saving it to set the autonumbering back to your 5000 or 10000 sequence.

It is a real pain, but I don't know of any solution. This is another thing that should be able to be handled much better using the SDK.

Oh ya - one other thing - anyone know how to change the extension price so it is no more than 2 decimals in QB (or will this break something?):

Example - Sale Items - For Amount:

Qty: 2    Item A    $2.50    $5.001

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

$price=round($price,2);

Thanks,

Adam

Thanks for the info Adam.

Is the attributes option working for anyone else? Actaully the only thing that is not working for me is the part where it is suppose to add the attribute to the product description.

Thanks for the info Adam.

Is the attributes option working for anyone else?  Actaully the only thing that is not working for me is the part where it is suppose to add the attribute to the product description.

That part doesn't work in the old contribution -- in fact, as I remember the code to do that isn't there.

It is actually a little complicated to do, so I can't suggest a simple fix. My new contribution will work with attributes.

Thanks,

Adam