• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Photography website feedback

lindsayanng

AHH I HATE IE!!! seriously.. why does IE have to be the bane of my existence?? WHY!???

I cant imagine why the hover will not stay out in IE, there is no actual length of time defined, and nothing to have the hover disappear.. Maybe I will head over to the CSS genius board and see if they have any ideas as to why that would be happening.

THANKS for pointing it out.. i'm sure it is a HUGE frustration of my visitors to have a flyout that teases them "hey.. theres content here, but YOU CANT CLICK IT!"

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

I will defnitely play with it.. I appreciate your offer to help if i cant get it.. THANKS!

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

in your CSS, add "width:100%;" to

.suckerdiv ul li a{

display: block;

color: black;

text-decoration: none;

background-color: #fff;

padding: 1px 5px;

border: 1px solid #ccc;

border-bottom: 0;

line-height: 2em;

}

I tested on IE8 and it worked, haven't tested 7...

Oh by the way, I didn't actually find it out myself, I just googled it ;)

(http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/csslibrary/item/suckertree-menu-vertical/ - first comment*)

• 1 month later...

IT'S MEEEE!

How's business???!?!

For example...

In "Wedding Styles of Connecticut", almost everyone is wearing hoodies in your category picture. A couple of them look like they could use a bath, actually, or at least a shave. Which I would never mention, except that you are using them to try and sell your poor husband's photography skills. I realize that doesn't have much to do with web design, but it still matters. You're not selling camping pictures... And don't say "He's the BOSS" like you always do. The way you treat people on here, I find it hard to believe you would be putting up with any of his own ideas of any kind whatsoever. It looks more like someone made a site for their snapshots than a professional photographer's website.

The birth announcements pic... You like scared babies? (When they do that, they're not happy and you shouldn't sell pictures of it...)

The Christmas Card pic... The guy's head is cut off, there is an ugly light in the background, the lady has a name sticker on her "dress area".

And for some reason, most of your links don't work. I don't feel like looking at any more of it. But you keep pounding out that criticism...

The front page is nice though! Well done! :)

Ooh nasty, did she upset you! if so you should keep it to the relavent thread.

Lindsay, is that my contrib u have for the popups? if so there is an easy mod to make the display jump to further images.

PS Your catogories menu don't work for me, I can get the root cats but cant get to flyout list (using ie7)

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Ooh nasty, did she upset you! if so you should keep it to the relavent thread.

Lindsay, is that my contrib u have for the popups? if so there is an easy mod to make the display jump to further images.

PS Your catogories menu don't work for me, I can get the root cats but cant get to flyout list (using ie7)

I was giving feedback. Pointing out the errors in the site... This is the relevant thread.

Hi again,

I noticed a lot of the image links are broken, you may find Remove Unused Images http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6346 handy, as in addition to showing unused images, it also flags all images that appear in the dbase but don't exist on the server. ;)

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Sam.. where exactly did you see missing images?? just curious because there should not be any missing images.. That sounds like an interesting addon, i'd LOVE to find and remove all unused images as well..

On and I didnt really WANT to validate a twit response with another response, but really... You are commenting on the people in my photoshoots? ARE YOU KIDDING? You are looking at the catalog, and those pictures are NOT the portfolio. The first thing people see when going to our site is the portfolio.. if people want to get an idea of our work, they look there.. hence the name PORTFOLIO.. if people want to see an entire shoot, then they can go to the catalog and look at the individuual shoots or email us and ask for access to restricted pages.. We dont get to choose who poses for us, we just get to take pictures of the people who pay us to..We HAVE to keep those images public for up to 1 year per our contract.. so yea.. nice try.. and i'll make sure to tell the people in those pictures that some little twit online thinks that they are grubby... what are you going to say next.. our brides are ugly?? because we are lucky enough to have some of the most beautiful brides in CT and they are lucky enough to have some of the most beautiful pictures from their weddings.

oh, and ps.. that category was a BRIDAL FAIR with an impromptu photoshoot where people posed for us to have pictures of themselves and their future husbands.. we gave them free downloads and they could order prints.. so yea, sorry people couldnt cleahttp://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=336554&st=20&gopid=1435711n up to your standard

Sam

Contributions:

Ohhhh.. thats just that category.. Completely forgot about that one.. i added it when we were testing and forgot to remove it! Thats MY dog.. yes, he's cute :)

I'm pretty sure thats the only one with not product images though, correct???

I put two! the bridal fair...

Sam

Contributions:

what else is there to say? you're comment makes no sense... you are making a remark about an individual in a gallery of commissioned photo shoots. Not like we get to choose who hires us and what they look like..

what else is there to say? you're comment makes no sense... you are making a remark about an individual in a gallery of commissioned photo shoots. Not like we get to choose who hires us and what they look like..

Nah. This is fun.

You said it was an impromptu shoot at a fair, that you gave away for free... Now you're saying they hired you. Either way, I'm sure that you could have found some more appropriate pictures for your frigging PHOTOGRAPHY website. No offense to them (but if you want to tell them I said they are grubby, go for it - that would be really cool of you, and I'm sure they will care).

• 3 weeks later...

My overall view is one of disappointment because I have seen you give many people advice in the Store Feedback section and seen some of your views in Contribution Support (your posts regularly comes across as a very fiesty, sometimes provocative and often argumentative) so I was expecting a really top notch website but it is not, though it does have some potential to step up a gear or two.

First of all I think it is a great idea to password protect the pages so only people who were supposed to see the images will see them.

The column right is a complete waste of space as it only has the Shopping Cart and Tell a Friend link so when you have a long page with option, text and product description the column leave a long gap between the main page and the scroll-bar. It would be better utilised if column right was removed and the cart was added to the header.

The footer is an absolute no-no. It is too long and too black and white. You have this notice in the footer:

Copyright 2008 bscphoto.com. All Rights Reserved.

All photographs on this website are sole property of Matthew Branscombe and BSC Photo LLC.

Use of this work for personal or professional applications is unlawful and will result in subsequent penalty.

Then right at end of the footer you have this notice:

Copyright © 2009 bscphoto.com

Powered by osCommerce

And in between the two notices you have so much information that may be of relevance to the website owners and its associates but mean nothing to the average browser and the people who have paid the photography firm. I think one notice should suffice and see no point in having two, anyway most of those information links are not necessary and in the unlikely even they are there are other places to add them.

It would be a good idea to add some sort of background to the links in the header because when the links unfold the text is again boring black on white background just like most of the site, or at least make the letters bold so the links can be read better. I suggest moving the footer links (the ones inbetween your two notices) to the header menu.

The column left has a hideous looking button 'click here for more details' with a lilac background, it stands out like a sore thumb. Surely a white background with black text posted all over the site and then having this button would look suspect to anyone. The SSL banner is not the prettiest and does not look good on your site, I suggest going for a different one preferably with a rectangle, the green cross within the silver circle does not go good with your site. it is small things like this that make your site look unprofessional when it has so much potential and it is clear to see you have worked on it but the work has not yet given excellent results. Your logo does not open when in SSL pages, this needs amending.

The black text and white background format goes horrible when you start adding colour images in the main pages, it does nothing for me but would look good giving a 'retro' effect if you were selling black&white pictures/photos as a retailer rather than a photograpy firm. When you get to the Weddings and Engagements page the pictures are colour and site looks disfigured as it has given (unwittingly or otherwise) a retro effect yet there are these non contrasting full colour images of brides and grooms in the middle of the page. If there was colour added to your text and parts of the background especially the left column andd header then it would look much, much better. On this particular page the column right looks even more out of place, for this page you should make the images bigger so they use more space on the right (obviously with the column right taken out).

I absolutely love the way the first picture shows up when Fine Art is clicked, the picture is black and white. that goes 100% with your website and if you worked around that it would be spectacular but as your site deals in colour photography (services) so I suggest you add colour to the rest of the links and site. And I do think the link buttons (review, add to cart, continue and so on) are absolutely fabulous, they bring out a lovely contrast with the rest of your site.

I wish you success with it as you still have SEO to add and probably so many other things before it is finished.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

I overlooked the copyright thing.. My husband designing the foot, and those links are nessecary. They are hardly seen and will not be removed. The use of links in the footer has many benefits and works sort of as a site map. Our website has LOADS of different "areas" and by putting all of those links in the bottom, it makes it easier for a person who might be web savy to scroll down to the bottom and just get where they need to. The will not be removed - maybe cleaned up, but not removed.. they dont effect the overall look of the rest of the site.

Also, i considered removing the right column, but then where would the TELL A FRIEND go? Also, there is no header... if i move the header down to accomodate the shopping cart, it will misalign everything from the rest of the site. The site moves seamlessly from the html side to the php side. I am not going to change that either. If there was a better place to put both of those boxes, i would put them there, but there is not.

Umm.. ii dont get to choose the SSL graphic. If i used one from a different company, that would be illegal and wrong.. I am using the SSL banner supplied by the company that is supplying the SSL.

The Bridal Registry graphic could be updated a little.. i did that a LONG LONG LONG time ago, but right now, it is serving its purpose, and i will get to it when I get to it. Right now it does the job of calling attention to it. Most people have NO CLUE about what photography registry is. Calling attention is not a horrible thing

and i'm sorry you think the site colors are boring, but i am not trying to make some crazy loud site with loads of colors. This is what is called DESIGN. The use of negative space, white and simple black makes the photographs stand out for themselves. I'm not going to use gradients and drop shadows and lots of color on a website like this.. Now, a website like this one:

link

THOSE need color and graphics all over.

link

now that is an osc site that i designed that, if you wanted to see a seriously indepth design - there you have it.. But to say that my photography site is boring because its black and white does not really make sense because that is the nature of photography and design websites.

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

There are plenty of sites that have colour added and it gives them a nice look, I have only added a few links from a quick search engine query.

I am not saying black and white is always boring because depending on how it is used it can be exciting and fun but I am saying the black and white on your site looks really boring and it does need livening up.

It is a pity the SSL company are not giving you any other logos to add, it may be better to remove the present one and add it to your SSL pages instead?

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

yes.. the first one you linked to is ugly.. the others are a different kind of photography.. the girly feminine look in the second one is not the look we were going for at all. The third one is a nice site, but its no more exciting that black and white.. instead its black and teal. The forth one is EXTREMELY bland and their site breaks all of the rules by being a pop up flash site that autoplays music.. and the last is a reported attack site.

Not one of those websites was any more "exciting" except maybe the second one.. but that is not the style that out photography is. We do photojournalism.. newspaper, magazines.. PRINT stuff. And even that second one.. brown and pink is WAY played out in the wedding industry. They all seem to have that same color combination. Its also a little bit weird that the second website on your list has all of the photographs open to the public and no real portfolio of pictures.

I am not leaving the colors we have now. There are small bits of color using red, and that is enough for me. There is something to be said in design when it comes to negative space and minimalism. If we just did weddings and kids, it might have been a different design for the site, but thats not the only thing we do.

We also did try moving the seal to our privacy page, but it seemed to have a negative reaction with our customers. They know that we are a small business, and ALL of our customers know us before they buy, so when they log in, knowing we are small 3 person business, they looked for some type of privacy seal. I think its ok to have it where it is, because people do not land on the catalog page. People who have already purchased our services land there sometimes, but MOST people will click through the front end before they get to the catalog..

Lindsay

I dont know if you are aware of this but when i opened up This page the click to enlarge image text is mixed in with your product description. It also happened on other pages too.

If it was my site i wouls move the shoping cart and tell a frient box somewhere else and remove the right column. I would also remove the welcome user text, but that is just me.

I also got a warning on your https pages. This may be caused by your logo image, as when i enter your create account page and some of the other secure pages your logo is the image that is not displayed.

I also am not sure about the black and white, but at the end of the day, you know your customers and what they like, so leave it like it is. Maybe a black to white gradient behind the main page may look better. I am no designer and that is omnly am opinion. It may blend in with your seal logo.

Your shipping returns page is empty, but i think you may know this.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Lindsay

I dont know if you are aware of this but when i opened up This page the click to enlarge image text is mixed in with your product description. It also happened on other pages too.

If it was my site i wouls move the shoping cart and tell a frient box somewhere else and remove the right column. I would also remove the welcome user text, but that is just me.

I also got a warning on your https pages. This may be caused by your logo image, as when i enter your create account page and some of the other secure pages your logo is the image that is not displayed.

I also am not sure about the black and white, but at the end of the day, you know your customers and what they like, so leave it like it is. Maybe a black to white gradient behind the main page may look better. I am no designer and that is omnly am opinion. It may blend in with your seal logo.

Your shipping returns page is empty, but i think you may know this.

When I click on the This page link, I get an error. Left column displated, nothing in centre. Using IE6.

really?? Hmm I just redesigned JUST the product info text to include those popups on hover. The reason you are seeing those errors only on that page is because those are the only products with those attributes.

I just do not understand why it is showing ok on Firefox and IE7. What are you guys viewing the pages on? And what size monitor??

When I click on the This page link, I get an error. Left column displated, nothing in centre. Using IE6.

I am using IE6 to view the site. 1280 x 960 pixels. It looks like the tables are not correct. If you email the file, I will look at it when I wake up in the morning.

I figured out the issue.. I created an encompassinf DIV in the product description.. in there, i used a negative value from top instead of a margin frm bottom. I am going to get in there now and try and adjust it.

Archived