• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Better Together Discounting Module

swguy

The order_total module works fine, displays and deducts the discount but for the life of me I can't get the marketing code to work in product_info.php....

You're doing exactly what I would do. Go through catalog/better_together_marketing.php doing the same thing (echo at key places) to see where it's failing.

Contributions: Better Together and Quantity Discounts for osCommerce 2.3.x and Phoenix. See my profile for more details.

Thank you for your kind words.

The scope of Better Together is really just "buy A get B at a discount," so I never extended it the way you describe. I did write a more complex discounting algorithm for Zen Cart which allowed what you're asking for ("buy A, get all of B, C, D, E at a discount"), but since it also allowed every possible permutation of that (e.g. "get 2|3 of B,C,D,E", "get B,C,D,E if all are purchased", "get C,D,E if A, B purchased," etc.), the specification mechanism is much more complex.

Good luck with your online venture!

Scott

scott, Im here woundering if better together can do something (or maybe even your zencart module)

I have a friend who is in the graphics business and came up with about 60 bumper stickers and wants to sell them online. He came to me for the tech stuff ...

He is pretty set in how he wants them sold.... 1 for $3 3 for $5 and so on... obviously this needs to be accross all of the stickers... not just 1 sticker. example ... if you buy A,B,C you pay $5 same with Z,D, E ... whichever stickers you buy .. if you buy 3 the price is $5

Does that make sense? and did I give it justice in my explaination...

I like oscommerce but we are looking to get this site up and running as soon as possible so Im open to other software ideas if you know of such capability.

Thanks

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A new contribution to go with Better Together has just been released; take a look at the Better Together Promotional Page. It shows all your discounts on a page which is linked from the Information sidebox. Download it here:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6960

support thread here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=343432

That Software Guy

Contributions: Better Together and Quantity Discounts for osCommerce 2.3.x and Phoenix. See my profile for more details.

• 5 months later...

Hi

I use community Better Together (osc_better_1.0.1) with Gift Voucher & Discount Coupon (GV and DC RC1 RC2 RC2a v1.2)

My problem is that the Better Together discount is not calculated in the subtotal, so when the coupon is applied it has the value of the Subtotal without the Better Together discount applied. let me explain

If i buy the following products:

Product 1 $50

Product 2 $70

Product 3 $50

total: $170

this is the calculation I get while applying a 100% discount coupon:

Subtotal $170

Better Together Discount -$20

Coupon (free) $170

Shipping (flat rate) $10

--------------------------------------------------

Total: -$10

The order should be as follows:

Subtotal $170

Better together discount: -$20

Coupon $150 (not $170 as per above)

Shipping $10

------------------------------------------------

Total $10

I hope someone can guide me to correct the calculation to allow the subtotal to calculate the final price correctly.

thank you in advance

• 3 months later...

I have installed this on my localhost before I put it on my live shop. Two suggestions for this contribution.

1) Put in a message in the "Better Together" section saying "Discount will be applied on Checkout" (I initally thought that it was not working)

2) The ability to be able to setup discount codes via the Admin section as opposed to coding them in "catalog/includes/modules/order_total/ot_better_together.php"

I have managed the first, otherwise it looks great.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Basic problem here - I can't get the module to install. Trying to instal Better Together 1.0.1 for osCommerce 2.2 rc2

The only modification I've made to osCommerce is to the table rate module so that shouldn't be interfering with th install.

Best I can tell I followed the instructions - unzipped the file, copied the unzipped file (osc_better_1.0.1) to my the root folder of the store & uploaded it.

When I go to the control panel to install the module it isn't there to install. I look in the remote directory and the folder is there along with all of it's contents.

Anyone see what I did wrong? I can't figure it out.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

A copy of Better Together has been placed in the osCommerce 2.3.1 download area. There are no code changes from the osCommerce 2.2 version, just a few additions to the installation instructions.

Edited by swguy

Thanks for updating the module for 2.3.1

Your contributions are really appreciated.

Im wondering if any of your modules, better together and quantity discounts, plus some of your packages for sale on your site - would cause problems with the discount module for 2.3.1?

its the module located here: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7700/v,23

Thanks so much

Dedicated OsCommerce user. 2011 will be the return of OsC

It's hard for me to know the effect of adding other mods on top of mods. As a general matter, these things don't know about each other so they might interoperate in unexpected ways.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are upgrading to osCommerce 2.3 and you would like to use the Better Together Promotional Page, please note that the 2.3 version is separate from the 2.2 version; the 2.3 version is at

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7933

(The 2.2 version is at http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6960.)

Support thread for the Promotional Page is at

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=343432

• 2 months later...

I am using the 2.2 contrib on a OSC 2.2

ON first load of a better together product I get the following error:

Warning: require_once(includes/languages//modules/order_total/ot_better_together.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/xxx/public_html/xxx/better_together_marketing.php on line 5

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/languages//modules/order_total/ot_better_together.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/xxx/public_html/xxx/better_together_marketing.php on line 5

On refreshing the page everything is fine. I've tried it on several browsers.

What do I need to correct?

Thanks

Just wanted to addd that I see there is a // showing in front of modules in the path above. I can't for the life of me figure out where that is coming from and why it only effects the loading of the page the first time you view it :(

Just wanted to addd that I see there is a // showing in front of modules in the path above. I can't for the life of me figure out where that is coming from and why it only effects the loading of the page the first time you view it :(

The // suggests the language has not been defined in your installation, for some reason. It should be /english/.

• 2 months later...

Hey SWGuy,

Great job on the module first off.

I've installed and setup the module, but I'm not getting the discount showing up on order confirmation page. I have the sort order unique as specified in the instructions, but no dice.

Any ideas?

Looks like you got it working per your update to the other thread:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/343432-contribution-better-together-promotional-page/

Looks like you got it working per your update to the other thread:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/343432-contribution-better-together-promotional-page/

Actually this is a separate issue. I was able to install the module, but it still is not showing up on the order confirmation page. It does show up on the correct product info pages though. I'm going to retrace my steps and see if I missed anything, but just wanted to know if you knew of anything off hand?

Actually this is a separate issue. I was able to install the module, but it still is not showing up on the order confirmation page. It does show up on the correct product info pages though. I'm going to retrace my steps and see if I missed anything, but just wanted to know if you knew of anything off hand?

...and I'm just plain silly. I was expecting the product to automatically add to the cart when the linked product was purchased. Sorry. My misunderstanding. It IS REALLY WORKING now.

Thanks for your hard work on this contrib.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear swguy,

this is just what I#ve been looking for - THANKS!

However, I can't get it to work. My shop runs in German, so I added the file that was meant for the english directory to the german one as well. Correct?

Or is there any other way to make sure it works in German.

I'm a novice, so please excuse my dummy-question: How do I know what number a product or category has? I tried the obvious and took the numbers the way

they are displayed - or is it something I need to check via the PHPmyAdmin? www.usfanshop.at

Please help, I need this done.

Regards,

usfanshop