• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Anybody else having problems with Paypal payments standard?

chimol

Hi all,

I was contacted by a customer the other day and they couldn't process a payment when they choose the paypal

payment. The didn't have an account, so they went and filled in the info to process without a paypal account using

their credit card and was declined. I also tried it with several different cards that I have trying to buy using that

option and they where all declined. Here is the error that comes up:

Return to MerchantPayments By PayPal

Your credit or debit card has been declined for this transaction; PayPal could not validate the card. Please verify that the information you entered is correct, or try a different credit or debit card.

Now, this was with a Visa, but I tried a mastercard as well. My cards are fine and there are no holds on my account. This is

happening outside of my site, so I don't think it's a site issue on my end, but I think Paypal is having some issue. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks all,

Steve

Steve

I appreciate all the help that everyone on this site has given me!

Nobody else is having this issue? I've filed the problem with paypal customer service and they are researching it. Give it a try on your site and see if it works.

Steve

Resolved with Paypal. Seems that they have changed some restrictions on categories and since I was listed under gambling they restricted people from purchasing. I'm now under toy and hobby, works like a charm. In case anyone wanted to know.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Even I am facing the same problems can you please guide me in resolving this problem.

Nobody else is having this issue? I've filed the problem with paypal customer service and they are researching it. Give it a try on your site and see if it works.

• 1 month later...

I'm having exactly the same problem. I spoke to Paypal and they told me they couldn't see any transactions go through on the date we tested it, they also told me that the customer has to contact Paypal themselves to report the problem rather than the website owner/Paypal account owner (us), which just seems ridiculous.

I have noticed that our company does not have a category assigned to it so this may be why we cannot sell through Paypal, I have tried to change this but get an error saying my company number is incorrect - it isn't, even if it was Paypal do not supply me with a field to change it.

So now I have contacted Paypal asking them to check all the above. I don't have much faith in them as I have had a number of problems and am always asked the same questions and told to do things like "change my company number".

I just hope they help this time, I'm getting tired of banging my head against a wall and looking bad to my customers.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you got it figured out yet, but I was having the same problems and Lillian posted a fix in this thread and it worked for me:

PayPal Topic

Hope that helps...

Nicole

• 4 weeks later...

I am getting the same error message too:

Your credit or debit card has been declined for this transaction; PayPal could not validate the card. Please verify that the information you entered is correct, or try a different credit or debit card.[/b]

Tried the lillian's code, and still not working.

I have tried everything but no success! Someone please HELP ME, I have sold anything since June. Terrible situation!

and this what my paypal.php looks like:

<?php
/*
 $Id: $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 [url="http://www.oscommerce.com"]http://www.oscommerce.com[/url]

Copyright © 2007 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

class paypal {
   var $code, $title, $description, $enabled;

// class constructor
   function paypal() {
     global $order;

$this->code = 'paypal';
     $this->title = MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_TEXT_TITLE;
     $this->description = MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_TEXT_DESCRIPTION;
     $this->sort_order = MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_SORT_ORDER;
     $this->enabled = ((MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_STATUS == 'True') ? true : false);

if ((int)MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ORDER_STATUS_ID > 0) {
       $this->order_status = MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ORDER_STATUS_ID;
     }

if (is_object($order)) $this->update_status();

if (MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_TRANSACTION_SERVER == 'Live') {
       $this->form_action_url = 'https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr';

} else {
       $this->form_action_url = 'https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr';
     }
   }

// class methods
   function update_status() {
     global $order;

if ( ($this->enabled == true) && ((int)MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ZONE > 0) ) {
       $check_flag = false;
       $check_query = tep_db_query("select zone_id from " . TABLE_ZONES_TO_GEO_ZONES . " where geo_zone_id = '" . MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ZONE . "' and zone_country_id = '" . $order->billing['country']['id'] . "' order by zone_id");
       while ($check = tep_db_fetch_array($check_query)) {
         if ($check['zone_id'] < 1) {
           $check_flag = true;
           break;
         } elseif ($check['zone_id'] == $order->billing['zone_id']) {
           $check_flag = true;
           break;
         }
       }

if ($check_flag == false) {
         $this->enabled = false;
       }
     }
   }

function javascript_validation() {
     return false;
   }
//get paypal images
function get_paypal_image() {
	$paypal_image .= tep_image(DIR_WS_ICONS . 'paypal.gif', $value);
return $paypal_image;
}

function selection() {
     return array('id' => $this->code,
  'module' => $this->title . '     ' . $this->get_paypal_image());

}

function pre_confirmation_check() {
     return false;
   }

function confirmation() {
     return false;
   }

function process_button() {
     global $order, $currencies, $currency;

if (MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_CURRENCY == 'Selected Currency') {
       $my_currency = $currency;
     } else {
       $my_currency = substr(MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_CURRENCY, 5);
     }
     if (!in_array($my_currency, array('CAD', 'EUR', 'GBP', 'JPY', 'USD'))) {
       $my_currency = 'USD';
     }

$process_button_string = tep_draw_hidden_field('cmd', '_cart') .
                              tep_draw_hidden_field('upload', '1') .
                              tep_draw_hidden_field('business', MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ID) .
                              tep_draw_hidden_field('item_name_1', STORE_NAME) .
                              tep_draw_hidden_field('amount_1', number_format(($order->info['total'] - $order->info['shipping_cost']) * $currencies->get_value($my_currency), $currencies->get_decimal_places($my_currency))) .
                              tep_draw_hidden_field('shipping_1', number_format($order->info['shipping_cost'] * $currencies->get_value($my_currency), $currencies->get_decimal_places($my_currency))).
                              tep_draw_hidden_field('currency_code', $my_currency) .
                              tep_draw_hidden_field('return', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PROCESS, '', 'SSL')) .
                              tep_draw_hidden_field('cancel_return', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PAYMENT, '', 'SSL'));

return $process_button_string;
   }

function before_process() {
     return false;
   }

function after_process() {
     return false;
   }

function output_error() {
     return false;
   }

function check() {
     if (!isset($this->_check)) {
       $check_query = tep_db_query("select configuration_value from " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " where configuration_key = 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_STATUS'");
       $this->_check = tep_db_num_rows($check_query);
     }
     return $this->_check;
   }

function install() {
     tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Enable PayPal Module', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_STATUS', 'True', 'Do you want to accept PayPal payments?', '6', '3', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'True\', \'False\'), ', now())");
     tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) values ('E-Mail Address', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ID', '', 'The e-mail address to use for the PayPal service', '6', '4', now())");
     tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Transaction Currency', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_CURRENCY', 'Selected Currency', 'The currency to use for credit card transactions', '6', '6', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'Selected Currency\',\'Only USD\',\'Only CAD\',\'Only EUR\',\'Only GBP\',\'Only JPY\'), ', now())");
     tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Transaction Server', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_TRANSACTION_SERVER', 'Live', 'The server to use to process transactions', '6', '3', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'Live\', \'Sandbox\'), ', now())");
     tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) values ('Sort order of display.', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_SORT_ORDER', '0', 'Sort order of display. Lowest is displayed first.', '6', '0', now())");
     tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, use_function, set_function, date_added) values ('Payment Zone', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ZONE', '0', 'If a zone is selected, only enable this payment method for that zone.', '6', '2', 'tep_get_zone_class_title', 'tep_cfg_pull_down_zone_classes(', now())");
     tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, use_function, date_added) values ('Set Order Status', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ORDER_STATUS_ID', '0', 'Set the status of orders made with this payment module to this value', '6', '0', 'tep_cfg_pull_down_order_statuses(', 'tep_get_order_status_name', now())");
   }

function remove() {
     tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " where configuration_key in ('" . implode("', '", $this->keys()) . "')");
   }

function keys() {
     return array('MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_STATUS', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ID', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_CURRENCY', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_TRANSACTION_SERVER', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ZONE', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ORDER_STATUS_ID', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_SORT_ORDER');
   }
 }
?>

I had to change the url in catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal.php to

$this->form_action_url = 'https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr';

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt