• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding Google Analytics tracking code to osC

woolef

Navigate to /templates from your root folder. You will see two files in there along with some other folders. Ignore the folders and edit the file that relates to the type of template you are using - table based or default. Add your google tracking code into the file right before the </body> tag. Save your changes and exit the text editor. Job done.

To view that the code is entered correctly go to your index page and view it's source.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi i try to that but first i cant see anu <body> in this code and also i have this Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /var/www/vhosts/......./httpdocs//index.php

can you help me about that?thanks

hi i try to that but first i cant see anu <body> in this code and also i have this Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /var/www/vhosts/......./httpdocs//index.php

can you help me about that?thanks

the user permissions i don't know for sure about other than if you have the file permissions set to read only on your server? you should be able to update this via your hosting control panel or your ftp access.

i also going to guess you're looking at the wrong file too. the file you want is located at catalog/templates/default.php (this *could* be different if you changed from the default template, but it is probably not named index.php) this is where your body tag should be

• 2 months later...

woolef,

I wish I could follow your instructions. I recommend simply adding your tracking code to your footer file (includes/footer.php). Doing so applies it to every page.

• 11 months later...

But...

The tracking code should be added just before the last </head> on the page, according to google. There are no </head>s on the footer, so where should I add the code?

Here's the footer code:

<?php

/*

$Id$

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2010 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'counter.php');

?>

<div class="grid_24 footer">

<p align="center"><?php echo FOOTER_TEXT_BODY; ?></p>

</div>

<?php

if ($banner = tep_banner_exists('dynamic', '468x50')) {

?>

<div class="grid_24" style="text-align: center; padding-bottom: 20px;">

<?php echo tep_display_banner('static', $banner); ?>

</div>

<?php

}

?>

<script type="text/javascript">

$('.productListTable tr:nth-child(even)').addClass('alt');

</script>

Also - why footer, why not header? (still no </head>s, though) :blush:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Suvi

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank everyone who helped to write this code. my site has been modified in so many aspects and did not think that "osCommerce Google Analytics module" contribution would work.

I can't believe the questions so many users make.

My advise download and read the read me files and follow the install instructions to the letter.

My site is now after 24 hours returning usfull data to GA.

Thanks Again

thebrit63

• 4 months later...

But...

The tracking code should be added just before the last </head> on the page, according to google. There are no </head>s on the footer, so where should I add the code?

Here's the footer code:

<?php

/*

$Id$

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2010 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'counter.php');

?>

<div class="grid_24 footer">

<p align="center"><?php echo FOOTER_TEXT_BODY; ?></p>

</div>

<?php

if ($banner = tep_banner_exists('dynamic', '468x50')) {

?>

<div class="grid_24" style="text-align: center; padding-bottom: 20px;">

<?php echo tep_display_banner('static', $banner); ?>

</div>

<?php

}

?>

$('.productListTable tr:nth-child(even)').addClass('alt');

</script>

Also - why footer, why not header? (still no </head>s, though) blush.gif

Thanks in advance for any help!

Suvi

Thanks for sharing your view on it. It really helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You could try installing this contribution

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/3756

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

• 1 year later...

Hi, For OSC 2.3.1 I found that </head> tag is generated by /includes/template_top.php .

I've included google analytics code right before that tag without problems.

An additional option is to save the source (as suggested by Google) in a file called analyticstracking.php that I placed in the \includes directory...

Then, in the template_top.php file (right before the </head> tag..I included

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'analyticstracking.php'); ?>

Hope it helps.

Hi, For OSC 2.3.1 I found that </head> tag is generated by /includes/template_top.php .

I've included google analytics code right before that tag without problems.

An additional option is to save the source (as suggested by Google) in a file called analyticstracking.php that I placed in the \includes directory...

Then, in the template_top.php file (right before the </head> tag..I included

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'analyticstracking.php'); ?>

Hope it helps.

If you are using 2.3.1 google analytics is already included, and just required turning on. In you admin area go to modules and click headertags. Then click google analytics. On the right of the page click edit and change Enable Google Analytics Module to true then click save. There is bo need to add any code anywhere. Just also add your google analytics number.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

If you are using 2.3.1 google analytics is already included, and just required turning on. In you admin area go to modules and click headertags. Then click google analytics. On the right of the page click edit and change Enable Google Analytics Module to true then click save. There is bo need to add any code anywhere. Just also add your google analytics number.

Thanks Steve, this made things alot easier. I just want to add that there was no Google Analytics Module but I just clicked 'Install Module' in the top right hand corner and hey presto, there it was.

• 4 months later...

I use 2.3.3. and don't have analytics included..?

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Has there been any work on or an available update to the ht_google_analytics.php file to address the change to Universal Analytics tracking code. It’s different from the classic Google Analytic tracking code and is gradually being required (sort of, i.e. highly recommended) by Google.

Classic code style

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-xxxxxx-x']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();
</script>

New Universal Code

<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');
ga('create', 'UA-xxxxxx-x', 'mydomainname.com');
ga('send', 'pageview');
</script>

Looking at the ht_google_analytics file in 2.3.3.4 it looks to be based on the Classic code. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

-Dave

For OSCommerce 2.3.3.4. After logging onto Google analytics and filling in the details of your site you can add your google analytics Tracking ID in Admin/Modules/Header Tags then click SAVE

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any work on or an available update to the ht_google_analytics.php file to address the change to Universal Analytics tracking code. It’s different from the classic Google Analytic tracking code and is gradually being required (sort of, i.e. highly recommended) by Google.

Classic code style

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-xxxxxx-x']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();
</script>

New Universal Code

<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');
ga('create', 'UA-xxxxxx-x', 'mydomainname.com');
ga('send', 'pageview');
</script>

Looking at the ht_google_analytics file in 2.3.3.4 it looks to be based on the Classic code. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Hello David @@Roaddoctor,

How is going?

The update is uploaded:

Google Universal Analytics ht module OsC 2.3

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9060

Google Universal Analytics module OsC 2.2

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9059

Best ragards

Rainer

@@raiwa in the code line 37 :

if (tep_not_null(MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_GOOGLE_ANALYTICS_ID) && tep_not_null(MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_GOOGLE_ANALYTICS_AFFILIATION)) {

MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_GOOGLE_ANALYTICS_AFFILIATION appears to be undefined. What is the intended use ?

@@raiwa in the code line 37 :

if (tep_not_null(MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_GOOGLE_ANALYTICS_ID) && tep_not_null(MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_GOOGLE_ANALYTICS_AFFILIATION)) {

MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_GOOGLE_ANALYTICS_AFFILIATION appears to be undefined. What is the intended use ?

Hello @@burt,

Oh yes, this is an error left from development. I wasn't sure if the store name will do it as affiliation and prepared an additional input field.

This is obsolete and should be:

if ( tep_not_null(MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_GOOGLE_ANALYTICS_ID) ) {

I'll upload the fix. Thank you for the report.

Rainer

• 2 weeks later...

@@raiwa

In installed up update as above but for about a week analytics wasn't showing data for the shop. No visitors.

I checked the code and note that in the latter part google's code uses the domain name, not the shop name. This line:

ga('create', 'My Tracking Code', 'myshopdomain.com');

According to page source the module code generates something like:

ga('create', 'My Tracking Code', 'My Shop Name');

So I manually hard coded 'myshopdomain.com' into the module and the data was again being collected.

Thoughts on that? Thanks

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@raiwa

In installed up update as above but for about a week analytics wasn't showing data for the shop. No visitors.

I checked the code and note that in the latter part google's code uses the domain name, not the shop name. This line:

ga('create', 'My Tracking Code', 'myshopdomain.com');

According to page source the module code generates something like:

ga('create', 'My Tracking Code', 'My Shop Name');

So I manually hard coded 'myshopdomain.com' into the module and the data was again being collected.

Thoughts on that? Thanks

Hello @@altoid,

I wasn't sure about that and thought at the beginning to add an additional field "affiliation" to the module. But when I tested it on my stores with store name I found that it worked and I got also feedback from other users that it works for them too. Maybe it has to do which name you are using for STORENAME. If this problem gets confirmed by other users, I'll update the module with the additional field for affiliation.

Thanks and kind regards

Rainer

Archived