• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Feed back please

there isn't too much to review because it's only a color different than the default osc design....make sure you remove or change colors of those corners you left out..also increase the text size on the header box text..like categories. , shopping cart...etc

• 2 months later...
Hey all,

Here is our website. It is still under developement. I know there are pictures missing. We are looking for feedback both good and bad.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

http://www.homesteadembroidery.net/index.php

hello Matt

your website sucks....lol just kiding... I just checked,functionality wise is working fine. my suggestion if the the fonts size are same

"to be consistant" looks good,I have notice that they are not, but if u want to keep it that way thats fine too.

Wicked...!!!! excellent

Issak

Best Regards

Hey Matt,

Something that personally bugs me on sites - having menu listings break to a second line. Such as your Categories listing - "Car Window Decals" and the Information infobox - "Shipping & Returns". Simply make the columns wide enough for one-liners.

Turn off product count in admin panel. Find a contribution to lose the -> and replace it with some sort of bullet or graphic.

Get an SSL certificate (even if it's a free host shared one).

Create Account page - move the "Post Code" below the State/Province" entry.

Fix the breadcrumb trail; "Home" = Under Construction page, "Catalog" = osC shopping cart home (index.php). Are you planning on an intro page? I'd go straight to the shop and lose the "Home" link and Under Construction page.

Another issue that personally bugs me - thumbnail images. I am "stuck" with dialup here in the mountains, also believe it or not there are many people still on dialup out there. This page "http://www.homesteadembroidery.net/index.php?cPath=39" took over 3 minutes to load with only the 2 thumbnail images. Kind of sad for a simplified site without lots of graphic images. Checking the size of the thumbnail and the large image results in the same file size = 60354 bytes. Most image contributions only resize the resolution but not the file size which causes slow loading of the thumbnails. As an example, I used this contribution - "Big Images Modification v1.25" which allowed me to make seperate images (thumbnail & large).

Lose the request counter in the footer. It's not accurate and besides, how many well known online shops have you seen with that feature?

On your Contact Us page add your mailing address and phone number. Makes it easier for customers to find the info and they'll feel more comfortable.

Instead of having your business info (address and hours) in the FAQ's, why not add it to your header? Customers will then instantly see that you are a legit business. Speaking of the header, why not make it 100% browser width to match the rest of the page?

Your logo mentions - "We Make It Personal". I would start replacing the osC stock buttons and graphics with your own.

Just some thoughts and ideas. ;)

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Just had a quick look at your site. All i can say is that its getting there. I would add the center store contribution and add a background image.

Remove some of the info required on your create account page. This can be done in your admin section. there is no need really for DOB.

Do a google search for oscommerce buttons and you will find several sites where you can create your own buttons to match the look of your site.

Search the contributions section for contact us, and you will find lots of addons that will add extra info to your page including your opening hours and contact info.

You need to add some HTML formatting to your product descriptions. if you are unsure hoew to do this, add a wysiwyg addon, again from the contributions section.

Remove the "this product was added" text from your product info pages. It doesnt need to be there.

I would personally make some of your text smaller, as it doesnt need to be as big as it is.

You still have some of the silly cartoon images on some of your pages. Either replace them with better images, or remove them.

Finally you need to add some form of header tag info to your product info pages. Again there are lots of contributions to do this.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

• 2 weeks later...

what about this store is different from the stock osc other than color, box header height, and font - oh and the text boxes in the product info??

Wow, i have been gone a long time, and people have gotten SOFT in this feedback section.. there is nothing different about that store. Theres no design to it.. nothing about that site says professional. it says "we didnt want to spend money on a designer so we tried and ended up with this"

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey lindsay,

You know I really appricate all of the feedback that this site has given me except for yours. Did you ever think that maybe a slightly modified stock layout was just what we were looking for? We looked at several other templates and even went to a few professional web designers ( I have several that are friends) and when we found OSC, It was just what we were looking for so before you go and start bashing and really putting down other peoples work and sites, maybe you should ask a few questions.

End Rant

Matt

The thing is.. its not your work.. its the work of the creators of OSC. Theres nothign to give feedback on because its a stock layout.

And from a designer's standpoint, the layout is NOT public ready.. its a skeleton that is great to build upon, but its useless on its own.. Well, you can shoot for mediocrity.. its not my business, but the website itself is nothing more than stock.. and you asking for feedback on the stock layout is.. well.. useless.. because you didnt design it.

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Lindsay,

I totally understand that I did not "design" it. I am not a nor do I pretend to be a professional designer. My wife and I have been working slowly on this site for several months. Neither one of us like "flashy" sites. We like things simple. As far as your comment on not being public ready, what do I need to do to get it there? That is what I am looking for. There are alot more add-on's that I want to install, however we have been extremly busy in the shop. I am not complaining about that, but we just have not been able to give the time to the website that either one of would like to give. I work a fulltime job somewhere else and we started this company with zero money out of our pocket. I do sometimes wish that we had more money to put towards it but the satisfaction we get from doing it ourselves gives us more pride in it.

Matt

Matt,

this feedback forum is about shops as a whole, not just about design. There are oscommerce shops with close to a stock layout that are perfectly functional and work well, and there are others that are visually exciting and highly modified but that are far from faultless in functionality. Of course the aim is to have both a visually exciting and perfectly functioning store, but it takes time to get there. ;)

I had a look at your site, what I would do is get an SSL certificate first of all and secure all account and payment pages.

Use some meta data on your product pages, have a look at this contribution Header Tags SEO. A dynamic sitemap would be useful as well, Sitemap SEO.

I clicked home in your shop and was taken to a static entry page. You have a static page on www.yoursite.com and your shop is on www.yoursite.com/index.php. It is a little confusing. Why not have the shop on www.yoursite.com?

Your contact us page should have your phone number and mailing address.

Remove the cartoonish images or replace them with better ones.

In my opinion the product title texts and prices are too big, also remove (or change) "let's see what we have here".

I would also change the mouseover colour, pink doesn't work very well. You banner is too small in height compared to the size of the box headers and the image should also be sharpened.

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

Had a look at this site again, and i dont think anything has changed. Why bother asking for feedback, if you dont do anything with it. You odviously thought your site could be better, people gave their opinions, and because you didnt like them, you do nothing.

its cause they have pleanty of people (even just one) patting them on the back telling them they did a great job on their mediocre website with little to no design.. last i heard, people here ask for feedback on the look and feel of their osc websites.. if you take design out of the feedback, whats the sense in asking for feedback.. theres no CUSTOM addons.. so really it would be people saying I like how you installed that other guys contribution or used that other person's addon.. more useless pats on the back

You website matches at least 10 of the things that suggest that your website might suck.. One of them being having an animated gif of a flag..

WEB PAGES THAT SUCK

I'd like to add to my previously posted list that many of your fonts are a bit too big.

...not being public ready, what do I need to do to get it there? That is what I am looking for.

There has been quite a few suggestions made on issues that need to be taken care of, some of which gets you ready.

Don't forget, your site is on the internet for all to find, so finding the time to fix things is important.

I would suggest that you take care of the functioning and security of the site first.

Then move on to the asthetics and finally uploading your products.

As long as your site is:

• Safe for your customers
  • Easily navagatable (is that a word?)
  • Functions without errors
  • The color theme doesn't scare people away

You're at least good-to-go.

Sure it would be nice to customize the design, layout and theme but that depends on your time, ability, and money. It is also something that can be worked on over time, not something of grave importance to open shop.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

I would suggest that you take care of the functioning and security of the site first.

Then move on to the asthetics and finally uploading your products.

Sure it would be nice to customize the design, layout and theme but that depends on your time, ability, and money. It is also something that can be worked on over time, not something of grave importance to open shop.

Absolutely true! What's the point of an exciting design if functionality isn't there? :rolleyes:

And for those suggesting that I (and/or others) "give useless pats on the back to mediocre sites", I believe in encouraging a project, not in bashing it. I believe in giving a helping hand to someone, not in slapping them in the face. And if anyone has a problem with my opinions you're welcome to message me rather than hijack a thread for this purpose!

First off I have probably helped more people here than you have. Second off if you believe that design is secondary to function you are dead wrong. There are pleanty of websites that function perfectly find but the site is ugly and it will nvever be a good Money making website because it does not give the visitor the peace of mind knowing that the website they are putting thier credit card info into is safe.

Your website literally breaks all of the rules of design andnot in a unique "pushing the envrlope" type of way.

Putting a website out live with a design like that is doing harm to your business cause it looks cheap and home made. Especially with that animated flag, unprofessional header and a million font sizes.

Regarding who helped more people here or not is entirely a matter of opinion, but if you think that bashing does help, well, think again.

Moreover, as much as you're entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine.

Btw thank you for your oh so enlightened critique of my site but somehow your thoughts or ideas are not those I either respect or approve of.

Lastly, please grow up and learn some manners while you're at it.

Surely the risk of asking for feedback is that you may get both positive and negative. I once got so lambasted on here with a site, that i totally started again. I took note of what was said, and tried to the best of my limited skills to implement those things that i thought would work. If a site is rubbish, say its rubbish, but say why its rubbish. This site here just takes the p*&ss, as its too basic, and nothing has been done to try to improve it.

Just my opinion.

@14steve14

I agree with you that everybody should say what they think, but there are nice ways of saying it and there are rude ways.

I remember when I first got here that I knew absolutely nothing (and I actually keep learning everyday I read the forums), I have asked completely stupid questions but thankfully everybody took the time to answer in a constructive way. Had I been bashed like some have been, I wouldn't have come back, and probably the starter of this thread hasn't come back for this reason.

I always try to put myself in the shoes of someone that asks for feedback because they are proud of what they have achieved knowing that they started from zero, no matter how simplistic or "rubbish" their work might appear to more expert members. It probably took them hours to do and maybe it's the best they can do right now. So why not give them a compliment (it doesn't cost anything) then give them some hints or ways to actually keep going? Just saying a site sucks doesn't help anybody.

No one said the site just sucks and I personally have never attacked anyone for asking an honest question. But this feedback thing is getting ridiculous. I see more than enough people on here with a half assed site asking for feedback but then getting pissy when you tell them the site design sucks. Then thier toto excuse is "I meant functionality" which again is a useless thing considering most of these people didn't do those addons themselves butthats a poin I already made here.

Anyone who asks for feedback and has a website with no design is going to get the same response. There's no design and all your addons aren't yours so what exactly do you WANT to hear.

My suggestions were not a matter of my own opinion.. they are facts based on studies done by people in the graphic and web design industry.. I linked you to a website done by someone who is very well known in the industry who specifically states at least 10 things that are just horrible design choices that you have on your site..

But if you want to be a little kid and take an actual critique personally.. then so be it, but your website will forever be some mediocre (at best) site that will sell only to your friends and the random stranger who comes by. No one will put their credit card into into a site with a blurry header and an animated gif flag on the main page.

Archived