• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal IPN v0.97 released

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I solved 1 by changing the default order status to "PayPal Processing" from the default - thanks to The Grinch who so eloquently figured it out. :wink:

LOL. Thanks for the mention. I was getting really frustrated. I finally decided to pick it apart and trace steps backwards. Once I got as far as I could, I started to guess the solution, and bingo. Magic happened.

I can now return to the enjoyment of the pain from having my wisdom teeth pulled. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I read through this forum as I would like to add this mod. It seems there are still alot of issues, so maybe I should hold off installing it. Maybe I'm wrong. Here are a few questions:

1)I'm using 5/18/03 snapshot, with lots of mods. Will the latest release of this contribution work out of the box? Anyone had success with it?

2)I just have the normal payment module activated presently. I'm assuming I need the IPN to "pass through" the items in the cart to Paypal as the present module does not do this, correct?

3)I'm developing my site locally first before I upload. Can someone explain the best way to test the IPN once its setup?

Well thats it for now. Thanks y'all!

Steve

here is a mod to include into your PayPal module so you can see what the customer ordered on your PayPal payment notification (just in case they don't return to your site to complete the process and generate an invoice) -

BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP

change the following code: In catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal.php file

function process_button() {

global $order, $currencies, $currency;

if (MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_CURRENCY == 'Selected Currency') {

$my_currency = $currency;

} else {

$my_currency = substr(MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_CURRENCY, 5);

}

if (!in_array($my_currency, array('CAD', 'EUR', 'GBP', 'JPY', 'USD'))) {

$my_currency = 'USD';

}

$xx = '';

for ($i=0; $i<sizeof($order->products); $i++) {

$xx .= $order->products[$i]['qty'] . '-' . ($order->products[$i]['name']) . '**';

}

$process_button_string = tep_draw_hidden_field('cmd', '_xclick') .

tep_draw_hidden_field('business', MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ID) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('item_name', STORE_NAME . ' ' . $xx) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('amount', number_format(($order->info['total'] - $order->info['shipping_cost']) * $currencies->get_value($my_currency), $currencies->get_decimal_places($my_currency))) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('shipping', number_format($order->info['shipping_cost'] * $currencies->get_value($my_currency), $currencies->get_decimal_places($my_currency))) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('currency_code', $my_currency) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('return', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PROCESS, '', 'SSL')) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('cancel_return', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PAYMENT, '', 'SSL'));

return $process_button_string;

}

Everything is working fine except one small but important detail, The orders do not show up in customers orders.

I get the confirmation email, I get the paypal email, my customer paypal account is charged and I have money in my account, the order history shows paypal processing.

HELP please. IAN where are you????

TY

Theo

Share your knowlege and you learn even more !

1)I'm using 5/18/03 snapshot, with lots of mods. Will the latest release of this contribution work out of the box? Anyone had success with it?

The current version of this contribution has some bugs and things to watch out for. Here are two things I had issues with:

1. In the Admin, under the details for this module, make sure "Set Order Status" is set to something other than "default" (which is 0).

If you can't see orders in the Admin, look in the database table "orders" and make sure orders_status is set to a valid orders_status_id (from the "orders_status" table). Setting orders_status to 1 should work (unless you've messed with your "orders_status" table).

Or I'm guessing you can just add an entry to the database table "orders_status" with an orders_status_id of 0 (I haven't tested this).

2. The emails sent with this module do not include the addresses. The function called to generate the addresses either a) uses an incorrect parameter or B) is the wrong function (and parameters). The following is a fix:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...p=170917#170917

So, both my site and another site I work on each received their first real, live, paying customer / order this week.

Each store's customer went to pay by PayPal... but they never finished the verification process.

The problem is the way we learned about the orders... not from a confirmation email from the PayPalIPN contribution scripts... but rather from emails from PayPal itself!

So.... I had compared checkout_process.php with checkout_paypalipn.php and saw that checkout_paypalipn.php was missing all of the code for generating emails.

I added this code in and tested it out. Everything seems fine.

But then I realized this morning... that that email code (most of it anyways) is in the paypal_notify.php script... the one that the customer hits when they come BACK to the store from PayPal.

That means that if one of my customers actually DOES come back to the store from PayPal, they'll now potentially get emailed by the store TWICE, thanks to my fix.

So, I'm thinking of taking out the email code in the paypal_notify.php script.

What I'm wondering is:

a) Has anyone else encountered/noticed this... considered it a problem... and applied a different fix?

B) If I'm reading this code right, it looks like paypal_notify.php emails order confirmation emails out to both the customer and the administrator, correct? But I noticed the checkout_process.php has a section that starts with the comment :

//send emails to other people

That's not in either paypalipn_process.php or paypal_notify.php. Should it be??

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

I believe that you want those emails to be sent in paypal_notify.php, rather than checkout_paypalipn.php, so that the emails are only sent after the customer completes the payment process.

But if that's the case, you're incredibly-dependent on the customer actually clicking back to your site from PayPal.

The only way you know something has been ordered then is by PayPal's email (and PayPal isn't exactly known for having timely email or for sending out email consistently.)

And PayPal's email doesn't say what was ordered.

That's what happened with the store that I don't administer directly last night. I arrived home to find an email from the store owner. He'd emailed it about 3.5 hours prior to my reading it.

He said he received an email from PayPal, saying there was an order, but he wasn't sure what was ordered.

Yes, this is a store owner education issue, as I then wrote a lengthy step-by-step email on how to go into Admin and find the order.

But still, why would you wait until after they go to PayPal to send these order notifications? They're order notifications, not Payment notifications. I would think that if the store owner received such an email, he'd check the order, see that the person intended to pay by PayPal... and then check for that email from PayPal... or check to see if the order status indicated that PayPal IPN had triggered successfully.... or even go log into their PayPal account to confirm payment.

But if that's the case, you're incredibly-dependent on the customer actually clicking back to your site from PayPal.

I don't think you understand how Instant Payment Notification works. The customer should never hit the paypal_notify.php page.

When the customer completes a transaction on Paypal, Paypal's servers POST details of the order to paypal_notify.php. Assuming everything is kosher, your site will update the order status and send out the emails -- at least it should.

If you're geting blank addresses in the order email, it's because (I think) the code is calling an incorrect function. To fix this, go here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...p=170917#170917

If you're not getting emails at all, make sure "Set Orders Status" is set to something other than 0 (in my store it was set to "default" which equaled 0). This will cause orders not to be completed.

My apologies for the confusion.

I think I know now what happened. The actual store owner probably doesn't have his Outlook set up to check the actual email address that store order alert emails are going to. He thinks in terms of one email address and I'll bet that, although my partner has set up other addresses to forward to that one, he didn't think to forward the one that OSC is set up to email to.

And as for me thinking I had the same problem... I'm not sure what happened there. I am set to capture all emails properly and I was only alerted of the order by an alert from PayPal itself.

But, does the paypal_notify page also forward emails out to those extra email addresses you set up in the configuration section of Admin? You know, there's a parameter in there for email addresses you want to have receive copies of orders? I see that code in the checkout_process.php script, but not in the paypal_notify.php one... even though some of their email-related code appears to be identical.

I fixed that order status problem and the problem with addresses long ago, thanks.

Sorry I had forgotten just what the notify script was for!

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Hi,

I plan on using the Paypal IPN along with the Purchase Without Account Contribution installed. This allows customer to checkout without actually creating an account. Will this cause problems with the IPN if there is no account created and the customer uses Paypal?

Second question, I collect data on nearly every order in the order comments field. This is stored in the orders_status_history table. Again, if they don't create an account, this info is not being stored in the database, would the Paypal IPN populate it somehow?

Thanks for the help. Sorry I'm so clueless.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I've used paypal for awhile now (almost four years, since the x.com days), and enjoy getting my money "right away" so to speak. But after putting all of the work into getting oscommerce setup and looking the way I want it to look, I can't abandon it. I really like osc. But this ipn thing certainly doesn't seem to be as far along as some would say. I've never had a problem installing a mod, but this thing is a monster!

I've done everything that everyone has said to do and I'm getting good test ipn results and the orders are in admin (w/updated status), but I simply get no email confirmation of the order other than the payment received email from paypal (which, of course, includes no info about the order).

I've seen at least a half dozen or so people who are asking the same question "why won't it send order emails?", but that seems to be the one question that never gets an answer. So I can only assume that it's due to either the system that all of us having problems are running, or simply that no-one knows the answer! And if that's the case, then, well, I guess I should start figuring out how to back out of the ipn install (yeah, I know, turn it off, that's the easy way) and simply sign on with 2checkout.

Ya know, you'd think that paypal themselves would be working on a mod for this. God knows they've got enough money. They could probably crank it out in a day or two, fully functional. Why they don't is beyond me. If it means more money to them in the long run, it should be a no-brainer!

Well, back to the grindstone.

Beau

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All!

I just finished doing a test order / paypal IPN payment for a new client of mine.

Everything seemed to go fine with the order, until I clicked PayPal's "continue" button which took me back to the store. At this point, the checkout_success.php script basically told me that I had a PayPal IPN failure of some sort.

I logged into Admin and checked. The transaction was there, but it was marked "Invalid", but "Complete" ???? This confuses me. It looks like all the necessary order details are there.

Anybody know what this means, this "Invalid" but "Complete" ?

How should I go about troubleshooting this?

I'd hate to have my clients customers encountering the error page I saw, otherwise, since everything else seems to have worked properly, I wouldn't be concerned.

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

• 4 weeks later...

Probably a silly question, but is there a difference between this PayPal IPN module, and the one called "PayPal IPN Gateway for osCommerce" released on Aug 21, 2003?

I am using the mentioned one, and maybe that is why I am the only one with the small problem that there is no supplied .sql file describing what table to create to support it.

I don't mind using the "other" IPN package, if there is one... just want some feedback on which way is the best to go.

Thanks.

Hi

I'm half way through installing paypal IPN contribution 0.971 into a shop that already has downloads controller 5.3 installed. the shop works fine, I only want to plug the gap where paypal requires the customer to click on continue to update the cart to checkout success.

My question is, in the installation it asks for an update of the downloads.php file so that the initial SELECT statement includes

"and o.orders_status != 99999"

instead of Linda's

and o.orders_status >= '" . DOWNLOADS_CONTROLLER_ORDERS_STATUS . "'

Is this going to wreck the downloads controller? Has anyone else installed the two mods together?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Stuart

It says to add a block of text before the $breadcrumb, maybe this is a stupid question but my checkout_success.php file does not have any lines that have $breadcrumb in them, so I am unsure where this text should be placed. Also, since I copied all of the files from the zip to the directories listed, if there was text that needed to be modified why wasn't it already modified in the archieve? It doesn't make any sense to me that I would over write a file and then have to go in and modify it with text from another file.

If this code needs to be there I would like to add it, but I just am not sure where exactly it should get inserted.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Probably a silly question, but is there a difference between this PayPal IPN module, and the one called "PayPal IPN Gateway for osCommerce" released on Aug 21, 2003?  

I am using the mentioned one, and maybe that is why I am the only one with the small problem that there is no supplied .sql file describing what table to create to support it.

I don't mind using the "other" IPN package, if there is one... just want some feedback on which way is the best to go.

Thanks.

I was about to ask this same question. Did you ever determine the differences? I'm not using PayPal on any sites now but will need to soon on a site that provides downloaded products. The newer "PayPal IPN Gateway for osCommerce" is certainly smaller than this one. Thanks for any input.

David

hi

i am trying to install this program almost everything works except that it does not send emails.

i have also instaled option_type_feature_v1.6 i don't know if this have any thing to do with it

i see that the order appear and it is marked that customeris notified but no email has been sent by the program.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I installed PayPal IPN over a year ago and the following just started happening and I'm not sure if it's something I did. My client will get maybe 8 or 10 paypal orders a day and from those at least one will not have the shipping charges included. I have not made any changes to the payment modules but I did work on the USPS module which entailed modifying the modules.php file in the admin dir.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

WYSIWYG HTMLArea 1.7 | Basic Template System 1.0 | osC-Affiliate | OSC-SupportTicket

Featured Products 1.3 | LoginBox 5.2 | LatestNews 1.1.3 | Extras for IE

• 1 month later...

I am constructing a new online-shop, using oScommerce-2.2MS1j-R7, an old but latest Japanese version, for my shop is all in Japanese. So I am not able to install the PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2 but have to do this PayPal IPN v0.97 developed for MS1. Does PayPal IPN v0.97 still work with the current PayPal system ? For reference, PayPal has just started their service here in Japan.

Appreciate any information and instructions.

Katsuhiko Harada