• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Body Jewelry Store Goes Live! Quite Modified osComm install.

jkarnes

I've been lurking on the forum for a while searching for answers to little problems my development partner have been encountering here and there - this is my first post.

My company's site went live Sunday evening: Onetribe International @ http://onetribe.nu/catalog

We modified the package a lot visually, and tweaked some stuff to allow for interesting functionality, such as the ability to view a product's details and still retain the ability to surf the category that product is in (you can still sort by name and price as well). Just a few little things I felt would greatly add to the experience.

Aside from that, the contents of the store itself is really cool ;)

Keep in mind that this is indeed a live store, and that we are still tweaking things here and there. If you create a false account, please make it obviously false so they will be easy to clean out, and refrain from placing fake orders :)

Comments and suggestions quite welcomed. We're very excited to have our new project up and running, now it's just time to weed out the obligatory after launch buggers!

There's a TON of blank space on the right at 1024x768. Makes it look kinda odd.

It's quite nice and it's obvious you've put a TON of work into it but I'm not sure I really like it that much. Things seem to be a bit jumbled up IMHO (this may just be a result of it being so squashed looking at my resolution though).

Excellent color choices though. 8)

To be honest...not a site I personally would stay at long. Just the way it's organized makes me a little seasick. :? Sorry I haven't been more specific. I'll post again if I think of what it is that's bugging me about it. :wink:

The site is 730px wide so as to fit perfectly in 800x600 and there is a bit of space at 1024 -- I do realize this, I run 1280x1024 so there's a -lot- of space to that side.

Perhaps at a later time I will fix it as although the space doesn't bother me, I know it does some. We played with having the site and/or just the content column stretch to accomodate higher resolutions but it looked a little odd and unfortunately there is no way to have different widths depending on resolution without some messy coding. Example being having it 80% of 1280x1024 without squashing it that extra 20% for users at 800x600 - it'd be way too narrow. If you know of some sort of workaround for this that doesn't require js, please feel free to voice it.

I'm glad you like the colors, I debated long and hard about them!

One of the things I took into account when designing the site was the audience -- not necessarily by age, I know quite a few older individuals into body modification, but by persona and whatnot. I interviewed people with varying degrees of web knowledge at local piercing shops and consulted some friends and came up with what you see. The majority of them seemed to find it very enjoyable visually and very easy to use, so that was the biggest influence on our final decision.

Overall I just wanted it to be a creative ecommerce site geared toward a creative and open minded audience.

Like I said above, if you can think of a way to accomodate larger resolutions while not changing the layout, please do let me know.

It is a very well done site. I think your res problem would be solved best by just centering the site, then it wouldn't seem so squashed to one side. Then it would even out the space on both side and make it look like there is not so much space.

Steve

-------------------------

Jared,

Very interesting site. I like your color scheme...Your product shots are super. You might want to consider one of the multiple image contributions so that you have small file thumbnails and then larger images for the detail page. The initial load time on my 56K dial up was over a minute.

I agree that centering the site would make the empty space much less intrusive when viewing at higher resolutions. You can make the header and footer 100% and the "middle" fixed width if that is neccessary too...One of the advantages of OSC is the supreme flexibility.

I really like the way that you acknowleged osCommerce and Open Source.

Hrm. Definitely need to fix that load time, that's uncalled for. All of that work and I totally forgot that the thumbs are the actual large images and that a lot of them are loading at once. I'll see what I can do about that. Thanks for pointing it out.

-jkarnes

I'm on a cable modem, but it is usually almost as slow as a 56k due to heavy traffic, but your site loaded very quickly for me. I would agree that the site should be centered, it is distracting on an 800x600 also. But I have to say that once I started looking at products and reading the information, I didn't pay attention to the blank space on the right at all.

I like the way the products are displayed between the category and the side boxes. I have a store that would benefit from this type of set up. Is it something that you could package as a contribution?

Overall, I am not crazy about the colors for personal reasons, but it seems to work. The products are facinating and I must admit I wouldn't know where most of them go!

If you do any tweaking I would love to see how this site develops, it's been added to my favorites file! (along with many other sites from the forums!)

Debbie

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

I think it is a nice site looking real professional. The colors are nice and appropriately picked for the content.

I am wondering where you go to put in a personal background?

Also want to limit the products displayed per page as well so it does not show them beyond my 800x600 do you know where and how to accomplish this?

Thanks

(-quick introduction as the aforementioned backend web developer assisting person for onetribe-)

I have a store that would benefit from this type of set up. Is it something that you could package as a contribution?

We will certainly look into this if it would be at all helpful for yours or anyone elses store.

I am wondering where you go to put in a personal background?

Those, as well as the other OneTribe informational pages are just templates we made from our overall finalized layout. As rseigel has mentioned, you can certainly find the full answer to your question in the appropriate forum.

Archived