• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I do a Test Transaction with Paypal Standard

john56711

How do I do a test transaction with Paypal standard? Is there some place I need to set in my account once I log into Paypal?

The easiest way to test is to make an item 1p and then purchase it as if you are a customer. It will cost you the penny to do it but it will give you an indication of the procedure and a copy of the emails sent to the customer.

The easiest way to test is to make an item 1p and then purchase it as if you are a customer. It will cost you the penny to do it but it will give you an indication of the procedure and a copy of the emails sent to the customer.

Got it. Thanks.

Hi,

if the paypal module has an option for "test server" then you can use the PayPal Sandbox to test it all works. https://developer.paypal.com/

You'll need to register an account on the sandbox but its worthwhile and won't cost you a penny! You'll probably need to carry out lots of test purchases to get the set-up the way you want it so I wouldn't recommend the "live" way mentioned above as you can't test all eventualities that way.

Tigergirl

I'm feeling lucky today......maybe someone will answer my post!

I do try and answer a simple post when I can just to give something back.

------------------------------------------------

PM me? - I'm not for hire

Hi,

if the paypal module has an option for "test server" then you can use the PayPal Sandbox to test it all works. https://developer.paypal.com/

You'll need to register an account on the sandbox but its worthwhile and won't cost you a penny! You'll probably need to carry out lots of test purchases to get the set-up the way you want it so I wouldn't recommend the "live" way mentioned above as you can't test all eventualities that way.

Tigergirl

Unfortunately many people report on here that the sandbox doesn't work very well. Are you suggesting going to the trouble of setting up the sandbox is EASIER than simply performing one transaction to test whether it is working?

Why do you need to "carry out lots of test purchases?"

Finally it seemed to work ok for the original poster!!

There are many reasons why someone may want to do extra tests - using different settings or adding different contributions might affect the way the paypal module works. Also, don't think Paypal likes you to pay yourself. Then of course if you have a paypal account and want to test if it works without using paypal account and with or without creating an account then you're going to run into problems.

Of course, if you don't wish to fully test for broken bits or to see what your customers see then the 1p method is fine.

Just offering another way for people who're interested and may not already know about Sandbox. I agree paypal is a pain in ar*e but that's not our fault !-)

Anyone reading is free to take my advice or ignore it , just trying to help when I can.

I'm feeling lucky today......maybe someone will answer my post!

I do try and answer a simple post when I can just to give something back.

------------------------------------------------

PM me? - I'm not for hire

There are many reasons why someone may want to do extra tests - using different settings or adding different contributions might affect the way the paypal module works. Also, don't think Paypal likes you to pay yourself. Then of course if you have a paypal account and want to test if it works without using paypal account and with or without creating an account then you're going to run into problems.

Of course, if you don't wish to fully test for broken bits or to see what your customers see then the 1p method is fine.

Just offering another way for people who're interested and may not already know about Sandbox. I agree paypal is a pain in ar*e but that's not our fault !-)

Anyone reading is free to take my advice or ignore it , just trying to help when I can.

I agree.

Paypal does not let you pay yourself.

And, for many years after you think everything is ok, you still need to test.

I agree.

Out of interest, does either of you have the relevant line in the Paypal agreement where it specifically states that you cannot pay yourself?

I agree.

Still waiting for either of you to provide me with the information in Paypal where you can't pay yourself!!!

Still waiting for either of you to provide me with the information in Paypal where you can't pay yourself!!!

Perhaps you can be so kind to provide me with the information in PayPal where you can pay yourself!!!

Out of interest, does either of you have the relevant line in the Paypal agreement where it specifically states that you cannot pay yourself?

I don't recall seeing it in their docs, though it may be. But that doesn't matter. They simply won't allow you to do it, whether it is documented or not. You can contact paypal if you need 100% confirmation of that.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Perhaps you can be so kind to provide me with the information in PayPal where you can pay yourself!!!

What a Cop-Out!!!! You state that Paypal does not let you pay yourself and I asked you where you got that information. At least have the decency to justify your dubious comments.

As for Jack-mcs, have you tried it? It works fine. If it isn't in the rules then you shouldn't invent an interpretation. I don't think Paypal have any difficulty in you paying yourself as you pay a charge to do so.

What a Cop-Out!!!! You state that Paypal does not let you pay yourself and I asked you where you got that information. At least have the decency to justify your dubious comments.

As for Jack-mcs, have you tried it? It works fine. If it isn't in the rules then you shouldn't invent an interpretation. I don't think Paypal have any difficulty in you paying yourself as you pay a charge to do so.

You implied that it could be done, I said it couldn't be done. My testing in the past did not allow it . How is that dubious?

Now you say it works for you, so what is the problem? You do it your way if it works for you.

• 3 years later...

I just contacted PayPal and confirmed, you can pay yourself, just not with the credit card on file associated with PayPal account. And as to the Sandbox, I created a Sandbox account and after trying to test, I realized that it specifically states that the API signatures can NOT be used with a live site. I called PayPal to confirm. So Sandbox is NOT an option. I asked the PayPal rep if they had any suggestions, and they mentioned the suggestion that umtwebby originally made to just charge $1, that is the ONLY way to test a live site, per the PayPal rep. I even called again to speak to another rep. The Sandbox would be a great idea, but I guess PayPal doesn't make any money, so why suport it.

Hope this helps :thumbsup: