• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

NewsDesk updated --- version 1.1 is now available

moyashi

:arrow: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,934

Ok, got ride of Mr. Nasty Loopy hopefully :roll:

I've made some major changes to catalog/includes/modules/newsdesk.php

There was a problem in the sql command at the top and for some reason beyond my comprehension that caused the problem. I think I fixed it :oops: haha, I did more testing this time. (last time I was just trying to get something out since I was getting emails :D )

I've also put in a image check to prevent IE from spewing out blank images. I tested on my iBook (apple) with mozilla, chimera, safari and IE was the culprit. My hack seems to work. The problem is that I can't test with M$ since I don't have a machine.

I've also adopted Will Mays max_display command like Elari suggested. Next step is to create a user friendly page to set such options without going to sql command syntax. Currently set at "3" articles.

Please read the upgrade.txt in the zip for information.

OH, I also uploaded in zip this time since some folks were having trouble with tar files.

Cheers and hope I didn't cause too much pain for all of you.

:wink:

NewsDesk(934) / FAQDesk(1106) / OrderCheck(1168) :::

Nice work moyashi!

seems to work fine now. No more loop anyway! :lol:

although I'm not quite sure what you mean with the "blank image" thing.

I noticed that when I don't put an image for a category or newspost, IE does put me the typical "no-image-found-square" .

Other then that, looks good!

btw: what happens with the 1ste newspost when you add a fourth one? (assuming you left the max_display to 3. is there a "archive news" part? (to be honest, i havn't checked yet... :oops: )

Anywayz... keep u the good work.. I'm using your contribution and I'll be monitoring for updates often!

greetz

DicE

_____.:::.________###__________|/______

:(o o): . (o o) (o o)

ooO--(_)--Ooo-ooO--(_)--Ooo-ooO--(_)--Ooo-

hehe, shoot me for wrtting an explanation at 3am ... hehe, that's it "no-image found square"

1st news ... hmmm, disappears into oblivion right now. Well, not exactly, it "should" just not show on the first page. Which reminds me, I should come up a solution to see all old news ... either an archive system or something ...

I want to get to my admin mod and column-right/left mod first though.

Thanks for the reply!

I've also adopted Will Mays max_display command like Elari suggested. Next step is to create a user friendly page to set such options without going to sql command syntax. Currently set at "3" articles.

Carsten,

Thanks so much for taking over this!! I like seeing my work fall into good hands!!

With the options for setting the number of articles, I just added it as a configuration option in the 'maximums' section of the config screens. It seemed to be a good enough solution, as it puts all the maximums together ...

Hi Will!!

Soooo sorry for not contacting you :oops:

I do like Latest News it was just after reading your todo comments and the need for languages and images ... well, you know :oops: I got a bit carried away :D I hope that you don't mind.

@ configuration

aha, I totally missed that. hehe, I also unknowingly set the configuration for NewsDesk in the same area..... :shock: hmmm, I better document that.

I was thinking of building up an admin page with stats and what not. Which is why I renamed the contrib to NewsDesk in hopes of being something a little overkill for osC without becoming a blog.

@ ideas

Any good ideas?

Personally I want to implement the html bar from phpBB and a column_left/right solution.

Cheers and special thanks to Will for his original Lastest News that got me started on this

:D

This is a great contribution, it really adds some good news functionality.

I personally think that the displaying of the news needs to be 'tidied' up a bit to make it more professional looking.

A couple of suggetions:

* Make the main news title a diff. colour (diff size?) and also a hyper link like the 'read more'

* Look into loosing some of the blank lines between txt

* Maybe put a 'times read' counter in. (aka http://www.voodoofiles.com/)

Again, thank you for all the work you've done in bringing this to all, esp. the simple install.....

For anyone who wants a quick demo, check out www.itsupplies.net

Thanks

John

:D looking good there guyver, thanks for the comments too!

hehe, I was thinking about the formating there today while rebuilding my system today and thought I could've done a better job. Problem is that I'm not very creative after midnight :wink:

I was picking from the stylesheet that comes with the standard snapshot. Not too many variations. I did think of adding some styles but I wasn't sure how many people really do change the look of osC. hmmm, templates it must be then in the future.

Anybody interested in providing a snazzier look? full credits and notes in the code are all yours! If you're not up to tinkering with the file I'll do that. ughhm just don't ask for the admin side changes ... that file is a maze.

Linking the title :: gotcha

read counts :: totally forgot about that, thanks for reminding me. I had planned to do that but a few other ideas got my attention first.

Well I've played around with it a little to make it look at lot simpler. I feel in my case in particular, I don't want buyers to see most of the main area of the site taken up by news so I've just used the 'titles' as the main news then a 'read more' link to the bulk of it..

I used the normal 'osc box' to keep in line with the rest of the site :)

If anyone wants the code you're welcome to it, I've only changed the newsdesk_info.php and newsdesk.php.

John

Things to do:

clean the languages files.. there MANY define that are use in product_info but not in newsdesk_info ...

Use the OSC way of coding.. define are allways in capital letters..

?cleaner admin interfase?

it's posible to use more than one picture per article?

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

@John

Would you mind emailing or pm'ing me your html changes?

I'm planning on eventually trying to implement a psudo template system

@ emiliano

:wink: I used lower case to help with sorting out the differences between the original osC code and mine. BUT, you're right and I'll put that on my todo list.

:shock: ooops, forgot about all those translation files. I definitely need to clean and organize them up more!

:arrow: adding more images has been a future release goal of mine since I thought at least 3 images would be nice to have.

cheers and thanks for all the ideas and complaints :D

UPDATE :arrow:

I'm coming close to releasing v1.2

which will have a column catagory box for news that takes to the article directly or to a product_listing like page.

Also, an Admin configuration area is in the works right now which is like like catalog / product listing ... so that you can configure which parts of the news will be listed in the product_listing page.

I'll need tonight to finish the admin side.

And I've started to stick with the "capitalization" rules that Emiliano mentioned. From here on out I'll try to convert all the pages back to osC standards. Sorry about that :oops:

Happy NewsDesk publishing :!: