• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Impulse / Promotional items during Checkout

Does any one know of a contrib that shows impulse items/promotional items during checkout.

For instance I sell phone covers and want to pop up phone car chargers for an impulse add on.

I did look in contributions but there was only 1 I could find and it was very old and never tested live. I don't know php very well so that's not a good idea for me to go there (especially after my last fiasco).

Any input appreciated.

Hi Lillian, it's "Mighty Mouse" again...

;)

In this post it shows you how to make a popup that lasts for only 3 seconds (you can adjust that) then closes itself. It's also programmed to show up only once after the person logs in. That can be changed. And we could add code to make it not popup if certain things were already in the shopping cart.

Anyway, using that as a base maybe you could expand that to suit your purposes?

:unsure:

I'm no marketing expert, but I think tacking something else into the checkout process isn't a good idea. If I was going to add something like that to a site I'd put it in /catalog/shopping_cart.php

Although, all the items found around the checkout register at Walmart and your favorite grocery store are "impulse" items so maybe I'm full of crap.

:blush:

Edited by germ

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Hi Lillian, it's "Mighty Mouse" again...

;)

In this post it shows you how to make a popup that lasts for only 3 seconds (you can adjust that) then closes itself. It's also programmed to show up only once after the person logs in. That can be changed. And we could add code to make it not popup if certain things were already in the shopping cart.

Anyway, using that as a base maybe you could expand that to suit your purposes?

:unsure:

I'm no marketing expert, but I think tacking something else into the checkout process isn't a good idea. If I was going to add something like that to a site I'd put it in /catalog/shopping_cart.php

Although, all the items found around the checkout register at Walmart and your favorite grocery store are "impulse" items so maybe I'm full of crap.

:blush:

Thanks MM! I'll take a look at this. It should be interesting if I try to actually code something. I can read the code, install a contribution, maybe even a one word tweak, but haven't done any significant PHP.

I think your right about shopping cart vs. checkout.

Let's look at your Walmart theory.

If I'm standing in line waiting for a checkout clerk with my shopping cart :blink: , I might get some impulse items because I'm waiting. But using Checkout would tantamount to Walmart saying "that will be 85.50. Want a bag of MM's".

See simple minds, need simple solutions! :lol: Thanks again.

Pee Ess: It might take awhile for me to get to this, but I will post the results.

Well, if you hit a snag don't be bashful!

:lol:

Post or PM.

;)

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >