Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GIDMEISTER

Can oscommerce be used as database?

A friend of mine has a oscommerce site. He now wants new features, such as people submitting their address and then finding other people who are within a certain distance of their address.

I know nothing about oscommerce, so my question is, if I learn it, is it flexible enough to store such things as details on people, and then to call a webservice that does the geographic calculations, and then emails these people (that are close geographically to the first individual)?

Or is Oscommerce strictly for making a site that sells things.

Thanks,

G

what you want to do is not what OScommerce is designed for, it is a out of the box retail option. What you want is more of a custom php/mysql build. the database structure and the php functions on OSC would need a lot of modification for it to operate as you want. Infact i would imagine it would be easier to use a alternative soloution instead os OSC,

I dont help with templates (thats what the seller is for)

th search function will often help, when it dont try this in google.

site:http://forums.oscommerce.com then your search word

I think you'd be better off not trying to mix this kind of function into osC. It's grafting a bunch of stuff onto the side of the existing database and code to do entirely different things unrelated to selling products, and that's asking for trouble. Your friend might be better off exporting the customer database's addresses to a flat file, and then using that with a geocoding service to figure distances. Do they need highway miles or "as the crow flies"? Is a ZIP code good enough, or do they need precise street addresses? For something crude like a ZIP code geo-lookup, he might be able to buy a database of ZIPs and locations (centroids), rather than having to use a pay-for service.

And of course, everyone involved would have to have given their permission to be looked up and contacted, so that's another argument for keeping this information in a totally separate database from the store. Your friend might want to use customer addresses to send geographically targeted newsletters (with customer opt-in), but again, I'd export the database's information rather than trying to mix it into osC.