• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newby: Take a quick gander at my site Please.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff,

Who is your target market? If it is people under 25, it will probably work. It looks like a black light poster...Do they still have those? It's a bit hard on my 40+ year old eyes....sorry.

I agree with birdbrain. I wouldn't stay very long just because of the colors only. I also not a fan of black backgrounds at all. Your header colors are fine, but you need a lighter background.

Steve

-------------------------

Hello there :)

I love your icons and buttons ? the effect that they have are really cool. I also like black backgrounds, tho the purple that you have chosen is a little of a shock it also makes the text blur some.

Here are a couple of things that you can do ?

1) try these colors ? they are in mute shades of purple.

#C7BECC for the info boxes and header/footer text

#684878 for the info boxes and header/footer background color

You can also use either of these two colors for the text and links

2) Use a white or softer purple background with black text ? then use the colors in your title for the links and info box background

3) Or ? look around at free templates ? find color combo?s that you like and work those into your site. I have also used a wallpaper website to find working color combo?s ;)

Another suggestion ? if you go with a dark background, I suggest that you add a ?submit? class in your css file ? so that you can change the color of your input boxes. Keeping them white when the background is so dark makes the eyes to roam.

Hope this helps!!

Have a look at every successful E-Commerce site out there (by successful I mean well known).

Do any of them have a black background ? The colours are for geocities homepages - not sites hoping to sell to people...

Those clowns are scary.

Seriously, if I came across your site whilst hunting to buy DVDs, I'd move onto the next pretty quickly...

One thing - why have the the languages box when there is only one language on offer :?

Personal opinion - I think your site looks good in terms of colours and graphics, but, I'm with Burt on the not using black backgrounds for shops - there's just something about it that says don't trust this shop...sorry.

tobz

osCommerce Links

osCommerce Templates

osCommerce UK <-- This site is for sale!

I agree with most here. Sites with white or off white backgrounds are the sites that sell.

If you want another background color, have it in your border like Steve's http://www.withthread.com. That's a fine way to do it. Then look at a psychological color chart and pick a color from there, i.e., blue=relaxing, black=expensive, red=sexy/hot, yellow=temporarily attractive/irritating long term (perfect, for, say, McDonalds! ;)), etc.

I do like what you've done with the buttons. May I ask what you used as a base to generate them? And in which program?

Jon

Thanks for suggestions, From what I can gather I need to:

1. Change the BG to a lighter colour.

2. Then, make the text standard black or something less severe on the eyes.

3. Get rid of the "Clown" Theme. Personally I like it, but maybe I need psychological help!

4. Get rid of the Languages infobox.

-----------------------------------------

Are the product graphics ok, or do they need re-doing? How is the loading time and general overall start to finish feel?

-----------------------------------------

The programme to generate the buttons came from:

http://www.xara.com/

Keep the suggestions coming, the more the merrier!

Jeff. :lol:

Hi Jeff ?

The load time is good for me ? but then again I have a satellite hook up, so my info on this is rather null ;)

Your product thumbnail images may need some tweaking ? perhaps making them so that they were not so square would help, because it is making them look smashed. Your popup images are good as well as the categories images

Your clown theme is ok, in my opinion ? perhaps the background color makes them stand out too much, if that makes any sense. You could also try making them just a tad smaller (80% of the current size) ? maybe that would help.

From what I can tell you have not forgotten to change anything within the files, so the flow goes well ? as well as the over all feeling of it.

Not sure if you need these or not (I use them tho I some times still mess it up *chuckles*), but hopefully they will be useful to anyone who reads this ? here are some links about colors *grins*

Color Symbolism Chart

http://webdesign.about.com/library/weekly/...y/aa070400b.htm

American Blinds, Wallpaper and more (awesome place to find great color ideas ? you can search by theme or main color)

http://www.decoratetoday.com/products/wall...efault.asp?si=5

Enjoy :D

Sorry dude but I really do hate it!

I know that you have put hard work in, but I just dont like it.

I would never buy from this site.

One of my favs for your market and for OSC is still www.dv-depot.com

See if you can get some ideas from this.

Definately get a lighter background.

Although these guys dont do bad:

www.fdvd.co.uk

:?

CC.

Well dudes thanks for the advice you gave me. I thought I'd better check out your sites, to see how to it's done. I have posted my first impressions below.

Gary: Nice site, rubbish buttons.

Kim: Colourful site, yellow hurt eyes, copyright, wrong year.

Steve: Heading rubbish, copyright, wrong year

Toby: Nice site, not complete yet.

Steve (Avatar): Text too small, hurt eyes, lost interest in about 1 second.

--------------------------------------------------

Just wait until you see my site in another 3 weeks.

--------------------------------------------------

I, being from Ireland, may even put lucky 3 leaf clovers all over it!

Thanks again for the feedback.

Jeff.

http://www.dvddvdvcd.co.uk/catlog/

OK, I've been watching this thread and finally decided to put my 2 cents in. I normally don't like dark sites either, but for a different reason. Sometimes when I am shopping I like to print out the page, for comparison shopping, to remind me to go back, to show someone offline, lots of reasons. So for that reason alone I like to stay away from white type because it won't show up on white paper :) But you have purple text on black, so that should be ok.

I like the clowns.

I had my twentysomething year old son look at the site and he said he would shop there, if it were in the US :) Actually he was quite interested in the selection of games and stayed on the site.

My point is, audience, the target audience of this site should like it, their parents, not so much.

For a dark site, I like the choices of colors. But then again, I like this theme too: http://petwebs.com

It isn't right for everysite, but it is right for some. I have a site named nightfireproductions and am developing a black/red theme for it, which is a huge challenge for me because I personally don't like that combination, but that is what is right for that store.

Debbie

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

Steve (Avatar): Text too small, hurt eyes, lost interest in about 1 second.  

I was just wondering the same thing about Gary.

My site isnt even listed here. ??

If you looked at LAN-Arena, then I am not surprised you got bored, there is nothing there for anyone not interested in Gaming.

If you want to look at my OSC site, then this is it.

I gratefully receive advice:

www.casetech.co.uk/index.php

CC.

Thats more like it Steve. Great site, nice large clear graphics and it held my interest. But I hate scrolling sideways to see it all (I use 800x600).

We can't all aford flat screens with double the resolution you know.

--------------------------------------------

It's a tough market you are going into.

--------------------------------------------

Your not the only one then who panics then, when given a naff review

(your old site).

-------------------------------------------

I just give the kids what they like (blow their eyes out), This is my second

site, my other site had much the same colours and did very well with teens and twenty somethings. but it used .asp script and did not offer the flexibility of the amazing OS COMMERCE SITE!

I do agree my site will need alot more work but I'm new to .php and

source code, give me time!

Cheers.

Jeff.

Gary, I think you can do better on the buttons here:

Ah yes, the S-O site is about to undergo a radical change as we are coming up to our 3rd !! birthday...it's just finding enough time to sit down and do it. :lol: :shock:

Jeff - That is all that can be expected mate.

If you are new to php and OSC, you are doing a great job.

I think it takes time and about 6 different color changes before you reach your final goal.

We have gone thru sooo many overhauls I cant remember, and our site aint live yet!! :shock:

BTW - Thanks for the notes on the site.

The site does actually fit in 800x600 but my "NOT LIVE" disclaimer in the header pushes it beyond this.

This wont be there when we are live, so it will be ok then. :wink:

Thanks again tho.

You are doing great, if you ever need help just shout and loads will jump up to help you. :D

CC.

Steve: Heading rubbish, copyright, wrong year

I'm very aware of the logo problems. Something the wife threw together for a test logo, to give me something to work with. It will be redesigned. And you also need to make note that this site in under construction and the last month I just havn't had the time to work on it. Between selling our house, moving everything we own into storage and bare nessesities into a temp house. Just not enough time in the day. I'm hoping to do more soon, in fact, I'd upload the copyrite change, but my provider is fighting with a firewall hardware manufacture and my site is down.

Steve

-------------------------

• 3 weeks later...

You migth want to take a look with some other browser besides IE.

In Opera and Mozilla (also Netscape):

Not a pretty sigth as all boxes are have the same colored background as box headers.

With the color scheme you have no text inside the boxes is readable unless you hover over it.

"Use no way as way, have no limitation as limitation." - Bruce Lee

Alex, there's a contribution for the arrows.

Matti, I'll download Netscape and change links/hover colours.

Thanks for pointing out different browser/compatability problems.

Jeff.

Archived