• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to Setup Paypal Website Payments Standard

patrickalexson

I recieve this error when making a purchase while testing.

Unable to process payment. Please contact the merchant as the shipping address provided by the merchant is invalid, and the merchant has requested that your order must be shipped to that address.

How do I fix this?

Odd thing... i read this thread and decided to manually install the paypal website payments standard as i was previously using paypal IPN. Paypal IPN was working fine in the sandbox environment, and some of the set up tips here helped. However, when I tried using the paypal website payments standard module, i was encountering the same problem about shipping address being invalid. I couldnt figure it out.. So i just decided to stick with the paypal IPN module. I just tested it with my live paypal account and it seems to be working fine. Therefore I wonder if we even have to use the paypal website payments standard module?? I hope this helps...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the help. Which version of the paypal IPN do you use?

I checked the Module but it doesnt provide any version. I also opened the php file but it doesnt say a version... It came with my template and my OS Commerce version says 2.2 RC1

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the US and I have this PayPal payments working fine for US shipping. I have OSC setup for international shipping as well and want to make sure that PayPal is accepting orders for shipping outside of the US. I am having trouble either getting it working or testing it. Not sure which.

At first I tried to use my personal PayPal buyers account for testing. I setup a UK address in an OSC transaction but when I tried to pay from my personal PayPal account, I got a message in PayPal that said "Paypal does not allow your country of residence to ship to the country you wish to ". After a little looking, I think this is because I was using a US buyers account, which does not appear to allow international shipping.

So...I switched everything to back to the sandbox test site and setup a UK buyers account there. I do not get the same error in that mode but I unable to complete the transaction. When attempting to login with the buyers account in PayPal Sandbox, I received a generic "an error occurred, please try again".

I cannot seem to verify if international shipping is working or not. Anyone have tips for me?

It worked fine with real users. I am not sure why the sanbox site had trouble. That kind of defeats the purpose of testing....

I am in the US and I have this PayPal payments working fine for US shipping. I have OSC setup for international shipping as well and want to make sure that PayPal is accepting orders for shipping outside of the US. I am having trouble either getting it working or testing it. Not sure which.

At first I tried to use my personal PayPal buyers account for testing. I setup a UK address in an OSC transaction but when I tried to pay from my personal PayPal account, I got a message in PayPal that said "Paypal does not allow your country of residence to ship to the country you wish to ". After a little looking, I think this is because I was using a US buyers account, which does not appear to allow international shipping.

So...I switched everything to back to the sandbox test site and setup a UK buyers account there. I do not get the same error in that mode but I unable to complete the transaction. When attempting to login with the buyers account in PayPal Sandbox, I received a generic "an error occurred, please try again".

I cannot seem to verify if international shipping is working or not. Anyone have tips for me?

• 4 months later...

Hi!

I have followed the installation process for PayPal standard but it will not work! When I click on the checkout button in my shopping cart I can see that it wants to go to checkout_shipping.php, but I get a error message: 404 Not Found.

What am I doing wrong?!?

Thanks for all the support I can get!

/Paula

• 2 months later...

Hi...

I do all whats said but when i click checkout i get this white page with this at the top:

checkout_shipping.php was not found on this server

:( ive done a post on this because its doing my head in, im just a noob :(

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone use the Discount Coupons module? It does not work with PayPal, for me. I'm using PayPal Express at the moment. Does anyone know why discounts are not sent to PayPal to process? (I changed the configuration so the discount amount does not have a minus sign, as suggested in the contribution).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I Installed PayPal Website Payments Standard module and followed the guide above, but I can't find paypal ipn in the module list and its not allowing me to pay by credit card it says "cash on delivery is the only payment option available" have i missed ipn and where do i find it" thanks.

Regarding setting up PayPal Website Payment Standard to have the ability to checkout without creating a PayPal account, I spoke directly with PayPal today. They told me that once the PayPal account being used for the checkout is verified (having a bank account tied to the account), the pay-without-making-an-account option will automatically appear in the checkout as an option for the customer. I'm setting up a shop for a client and encountered the same thing, so I'll see if it's correct when we verify their newly created PayPal account for their shop.

Hello and thanks for reading.

I have followed the setup information shown above and on other sites as I am trying to setup our online shop to use paypal for taking payment but have received an odd problem.

This is the first time I have attempted to set up Paypal and it has not worked to date.

1) Please visit our online shop here:

http://www.edgetechnologypower.co.uk/

2) Click on any product and add it to the cart.

3) Click on the 'Checkout with Paypal' button.

4) Watch it all vanish and say the cart is empty!

I have setup the Paypal Express module with a success message when I test the API settings.

I have also setup the Paypal Website Payments Standard module as mentioned above (and I still get this problem.)

I have also tried setting up the Paypal website Direct Payments module with settings (following a setup document to the letter, and still get the problem.)

Please please can anyone help me set this up as I don't understand what isn't working or what to try next.

Thanks,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Mr Patrick Alexson for stealing this article from my website.

It would have been polite to ask me first or at least give me the credit for writing it.

Bob Mason, Omega Cottage Web Site Design

• 2 weeks later...

* I am aware that this may be all over the forums but just in case, Id like to present it to everyone. This is a very short, to the point tutorial detailing how to setup the standard version of PayPal Website Payments.

osCommerce and PayPal

How to Setup and Configure PayPal Website Payments Standard Module

Before you do anything with the module you need to check that you have setup OSC correctly to the language you are going to use, the Location of your shop and the Currency you are to use or you will get all sorts of funny errors like missing tax, wrong currency, prices missing from your web site etc. So lets spend a minute looking through the Admin pages making sure the basics are right.

1. Login to your Admin page and go to Configuration > My Store

2. Work your way down the list of settings and make sure that you have setup all the sections

3. Pay particular attention to 'Switch to Default Language Currency' if you turn this on (true) and your shop is outside the US the prices will disappear from your website

4. At the bottom of the list set the decimal places for the tax in your location (leave at zero if you sell goods that don't attract tax) and also set 'Display Prices with Tax' if you need to charge sales tax or VAT

5. Next go to Locations / Taxes and set the country your shop is in, the tax zone it is in if you need to charge tax and then Tax Zones, Classes and Rates - exactly how to do this is beyond the scope of this tutorial but there is plenty of help in the forums for setting up the various national tax requirements.

6. Next go to Localization and setup the currencies you want to be able to accept. Remember it is most important to set your national currency as the default currency or your site will display all its prices in US Dollars and pass those prices to PayPal as US Dollars too.

7. Next set the Default Language for the site and add any other languages you wish to offer

8. Make a note of the changes you have made as you will need them for the next step - setting up PayPal

Setting up PayPal

First a word of warning. If you put PayPal into a search engine to find the home page and setup a business account you will end up on the US PayPal site - OK if you live in the USA but not so good if you live elsewhere as there are quite a few differences in the way PayPal handles payments directed to UK shops or those in the EEC. Like wise the Australian shops have specific requirements so make sure you are logging in to your National branch of PayPal. I am in the UK so I will go through the steps needed for a UK site - I'm afraid you will have to look at the PayPal help pages for your local settings.

1. Find the PayPal login page for your Country

2. Login to your account or sign up for a new account for your shop (sales@<yourshop>.co.uk is a good one for UK shops) don't forget to make a mailbox for this email address and to add it to My Store in the Send Extra Order Emails to section

3. Once you have an account and are logged in, go to Profile and in the right hand column click on Payment Receiving Preferences

4. In here you have the choice of accepting just your default currency, or having other currencies converted. We found that having them converted let us accept orders from EEC countries as well as the UK

5. Block multiple payments so that you don't get duplicate orders

6. Set the Credit Card Statement Name so that customers will recognise payments to you on their Credit Card Statements when they pay that way through PayPal

7. Save the page and go to Profile>Instant Payment Notification Preferences

8. Activate Instant Payment Notification

9. The notification URL should be http://<your web site>/catalog/checkout_process.php

10. Save the page then go to Profile>Website Payment Preferences

11. Turn on Auto Return

12. Set the return URL to http://<your website>/catalog/ipn.php

13. Leave Payment Data Transfer set to off as this module doesn't support it (You need PayPal Pro for that)

14. Using this module you are using PayPal to handle all your Credit Card payments so you don't need encrypted payments. If you do want to have them you need to buy a SSP certificate and that is beyond the scope of this tutorial so set Encrypted Website Payments to off

15. To ensure that customers are returned to your site and you are notified of the order details you need to make set PayPal account optional to off

16. As your customers have already supplied their phone number when they created an account with you, you don't need to ask them for it again. Turn Contact telephone number off

17. As this module doesn't use Express Checkout, Say no to Support Giro and Bank Transfer Payments

18. Save the page then go to Custom Payment Page Styles

19. In here you can change the colour of the PayPal page, add your logo to the payment confirmation page and generally integrate the PayPal page with your site

Setting up PayPal in osCommerce

1. You will see that there is a PayPal Website Payments Standard module showing

2. Uninstall both PayPal and PayPal IPN if you have already installed and activated them

3. Install PayPal Website Payments Standard

4. Click on the Edit button in the right hand column

5. Set Enable PayPal Website Payments Standard to True

6. In email address put the address you have used to set up your PayPal account

7. Check on the forums if you need to set a payment zone - in the UK accepting only GBP you don't and can leave this as none

8. Set preparing Order Status to Preparing [PayPal Standard] to intercept bad orders or ones that don't complete

9. Set PayPal Acknowledged Orders Status to Processing

10. Set the Gateway Server to Sandbox while testing but remember to set it to live when testing is over

11. Set Transaction method to Sale

12. Set Page Style to PayPal

13. Set the Debug E-Mail Address to the email address you want emails from PayPal to go to about orders that are not completed or any problems with payment NB. It should not be the same email address you use for your PayPal account

14. Set the sort order of display to where you want the PayPal option to come in your payment options list in the shopping cart. Low numbers come first in the list but 0 comes at the end so be careful what you choose

15. If you aren't using encrypted payments you can ignore the rest of the list - we don't use them so I haven't found out what they are for other than they are something to do with secure websites (https://) the module works just fine without them.

Right you are now ready to start sending through test purchases. I hope this tutorial helps you to set up and configure PayPal for your osCommerce site - the above instructions worked just fine for us and we are now getting completed orders through without any errors.

We have to activate Enable Encrypted Web Payments, so how can i get the Your Private Key, Your Public Certificate, Your PayPal Public Certificate ID from paypal account

Regarding setting up PayPal Website Payment Standard to have the ability to checkout without creating a PayPal account, I spoke directly with PayPal today. They told me that once the PayPal account being used for the checkout is verified (having a bank account tied to the account), the pay-without-making-an-account option will automatically appear in the checkout as an option for the customer. I'm setting up a shop for a client and encountered the same thing, so I'll see if it's correct when we verify their newly created PayPal account for their shop.

Hi,

Can you tell me if this was correct?

Thanks,

Cindy

• 3 weeks later...

Referring to the PayPal module that comes with the standard osCommerce v2.2 installation:

After searching this forum for nearly an hour, I am confused over which one to use:

This one looks more correct to me:

This looks suspicious to me as BOTH are set to the same URL:

Yesterday I setup my Paypal account profile to fit with my store.. but today I've got a message from Paypal as follow :

------

Hello Pitoyo Amrih,

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notification (IPN)

messages. Messages sent to the following URL(s) are not being received:

www.pitoyo.com/webstore/checkout_process.php

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using

IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information.

Once you or your service provider fix this problem, you or your service provider can

resend the failed messages from the IPN History page. If this problem continues,

PayPal may disable the IPN feature for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

Thanks,

PayPal

------------

I use the Paypal Standard Module.. should I turn off IPN Preference on my Paypal Account..?

Pls advise..

thank you,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys,

As Wayne posted earlier, I have a question regarding the effect the IPN setting has on non - oscommerce transactions.

I too trade on ebay, and need the IPN to be sent to me when a buyer completes a transaction from ebay.

Since integrating the website standard payment feature, I have set my IPN address to: http://www.mysitename.com/ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php as I do not have any other modules installed apart from the standard PayPal website payment standard module - i.e. I have no ipn.php file.

Now it seems that I don't receive standard IPN messages from ebay sales.

Is this correct? Is there a way to separate the 2, so that we still receive IPN's from both OSCommerce web payments and still receive IPN's from other paypal sites?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

my business account is verified , im not seeing the "pay without making an account" option at the checkout . where exactly should it be appearing ? on my site or at the 'pay with paypal' order summary page ?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having an issue with PayPal showing up as a payment option during checkout - it's not showing up even after configuring to this setup. Under payment method the only writing is "This is currently the only payment method available to use on this order." After searching through general questions, I've seen about 5 other posts with the same issue (with PayPal and Authorize.net) and no resolve. I've tried re-installing payments modules with no luck. Any ideas on how to fix this??

Archived