• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Automatic Thumbnail Quality

inefficiency

Hi there.

I've just implemented Autothumbnail into my store - mainly for keeping the image proportions in check, not so much for load times and such.

Is there any way I can turn up the quality of the thumbnails? I want to display a nice big picture on my products page, but when I increase the size of said image, the blurriness of the thumbnail becomes apparent.

Just to clarify - Is there any way I can use automatic thumbnail, but retain a lot more of the images quality?

To add to the above point - I have added the Large Product Info image addon to size up the images.

It now appears that the first time you view a page, the thumbnail is blurry, however if you refresh the page - its fine.

Is this a sign that maybe the quality of the pictures being uploaded is waaaaaaay too high or something? I've noticed it happens with more with some pictures than others.

Or do seperate thumbnails need to be generated for the thumbs in the product list and the product info?

I could really do with some help here, I don't want to have to settle for blurry pictures or for manually resizing an entire catalogue's worth of them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have found the problem that generated this issue, and going to fix it this week, just want to give an idea of the problem, maybe someone else can use it as well :)

I added a 3rd image size called LARGE_IMAGE_WIDTH and LARGE_IMAGE_HEIGHT in the settings, so i could display larger images in the product_info page , and I changed the product_info.php image to use LARGE_IMAGE_WIDTH LARGE_IMAGE_HEIGHT in the img tag.

Now I think the image thumbnail module caches the image from the product list (where i use the original small_image_size), then when you click on a product it will take the cached image and resize it to LARGE_IMAGE_WIDTH, LARGE_IMAGE_HEIGHT this causes the image to look blurry because it gets stretched, after a refresh it reloads the image and it is crisp again.

When I fixed the behaviour ill post back

remember, your browser caches all images according to the defined time, so make sure your not trying to fix an issue thats actually client side!!

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

• 2 weeks later...