• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Speed it up already!

Waiting

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also... is Herald so stuck on himeself that he cannot give his moderators any type of priveledges? Why cant anyone else ban me?

I thought someone was going to prove me wrong, but i see thats not the case :)

Is it necessary to ban you for having an opinion?

No, I think not. You have a right to your opinion and have expressed several valid points.

However, what I find a bit offensive and I think is actually beneath you a bit, it your language. While you have a right to express what you think and feel, I think you could perhaps express yourself a bit better.

Using the slang that you do belittles what you have to say and valid or not, good point or not, it is hard to take you seriously when you cannot express yourself without the crudeness.

Ban you? Nope, I prefer to have input from users and an opportunity for them to express their concerns, frustration and need for help.

But I would appreciate it if you could possibly refrain from the slang, crude expressions ... they make you look ... umm ... you know, like a jerk ...

I am being a bit of a jerk, and I admit it. Everyone else acts like all of my points are null, and OSC is this perfect project that is moving at a huge pace. I just don't think thats the case.

I like OSC and have used it for some time now. I'd just like to see peoples opinions taken more seriously and woukd just like to see a new stable release. It seems silly to have 2.1 listed as the only stable release, when 2.2 is stable as its gonna get. Button it up, release it, and then start working on the next feature packed version.

Oh and speaking of jerks..... ditch that Jan guy on the dev team. He is one of the main reasons I am so pissed at the entire project. Talking to him is like talking to a brick wall.

There are so many things that are being done to update the work.

While you may not see it as you only get to see the peices as they are released, each peice has to be tested and retested to assure that it works not just for me or you or the guy on this month's current version of Windows, php, etc. but that it works for everything.

I have found it amazing the time and effort that goes into the preparation and testing of each new addition, change, bug fix, etc.

Everyone on the team is really very dedicated to this project. And despite maintaining another life where they have to pay the bills and work, etc. they work on osC.

It's a lot of work. For them as well as for you.

That is also one of the reasons change sometimes seems slow to progress. If you got hit every day with major updates you'd go nuts. And GPL software is an ever changing animal ... :roll:

But, when each segment is complete there is a larger release of code. The Milestone 1 is a good example of this.

It is also a good point to set your mark for your store.

Thanks for understanding. I am not trying to tell you you should not post your opinion, as I appreciate your input. But I just would appreciate it if you could tone it down a tad on the language. Thanks! :wink:

Also... is Herald so stuck on himeself that he cannot give his moderators any type of priveledges? Why cant anyone else ban me?

In fact, a jerk as I am feels quite amused about your valuable input. Why ban someone that brings fun to the scene?

"The Jerk That Ought To Be Kicked ASAP" has enough privileges, thank you.

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

Out of curiousity.. what's the reason for NOT using your original login name?

Mattice

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

I am being a bit of a jerk, and I admit it. Everyone else acts like all of my points are null, and OSC is this perfect project that is moving at a huge pace. I just don't think thats the case.

Actually, your attitude and approach to problems is what nullifies your points. You seem to think it's our fault for not bothering to read between the lines of abuse and sarcasm, to find the one nugget of insight.

And when that one nugget of insight is essentially a gripe that software isn't improving fast enough to suit you, well, stop the presses because that's news! NOT. How many years have you been writing software? I mean real software, not a few k of font and table tags in FrontPage. What's the last application you were a part of that involved more than 2 people? I'll lay you odds that the people most forgiving of what might seem to you like a slow pace are people like me, who've written real applications and understand what goes into a project of this magnitude.

Your other insight: Not all humans treat me nice! (Is anyone else as not suprised by this as I am?) Uhhh, it's called karma, dude. Golden rule. It's more than a religeous philosophy, it's a practical way to get what you need out of life, including Free Software projects.

I suspect you understand the karma thing, because you didn't use your real name when you started this mini-flame fest. Because you know at some point you'll want to ask a question, and if others knew that you treated people like this, they tell you off, and leave your little problem lying in the dirt.

The entire preceeding message is for the benefit of noobs and the community, not Waiting who is obviously oblivious, obstinant, and obtuse to such an extent as to be beyond help.

Oh, and don't let your ego get too puffed up about your l33t trolling 5kilz. I've seen much better. ;-)

Tim

I hate to contribute to such a negative tone, but i do have a question.

Are there plans to reduce the number of files used by osCommerce?

For my relatively simple needs, 1,241 files is simply a massive number!

Is there a listing or guide somewhere on which files can be deleted if I am not using certain areas?

Also are the daily builds flagged if they are necessary to fix security vulnerabilities? As I plan to heavily modify the PHP, I see myself getting married to a certain daily build of osCommerce and being reluctant to upgrade daily unless there is a security reason to.

Well for one, it doesn't seem to work on the new phpbb forums. Only on the older in-house ones. Secondly, I wanted to see how people would respond. I got the response I expected though, doesn't matter if this came from a long time contributor of the project, or a troll. I am really starting to regret putting in all the time that I have to this project. Its rather sad too, because I enjoyed tep in its early stages.

Rubbish,

Just because these forums require a different login, is no reason to hide your identity.

I am still a confused as to what exactly you want.

You've said that we should listen to the users and add contributions. Well there's a sticky topic on that, and it's been said many times that contributions will be added to core.

You berate Harald for not watching these forums 24 hours a day, at the same time as saying he should be spending all of his time preparing a release. What do you want.

You obviously have no idea how our team works. It is not required that all dev team members sit watching the forums all of the time.

You say you enjoyed osC/tep more in the early days. Can you not see the huge changes that have been made to core code.

Why hide. The only real answer to that is that you are a troll. If you really cared about osCommerce then you would post openly and sensibly. I expect there are a few people frustrated that there is no 2.2 release, however they are not going to back someone who won't even post their real name.

Any dev team member could completely obliterate any post you make. You could have been banned. That has not happened. This is OPEN source software. If you do not like the way we are doing things you are entitled to take the code and alter it yourself. If you are a contributor surely you know how to do that.

I'm looking for a sensible exchange of ideas here, But once again I also say why should we listen to someone who hides behind the mask of anonymity, why should we take you seriously.

Trust me, I'm an Accountant.

All of us are nothing but text on the screen, so why take anyone seriously? Ill answer that for you.... because we all have good ideas of what should be added to core. Do some polls, find out what people want. Either stack the features in and have on off switches (like vbulletin lets say) or make it modular (like apache). It just seems like alot of time and effort is going to waste the way things are being done now. Every contribution has to be revamped each time there is a new snapshot released. Every user who wants to upgrade to get the latest "core" features has to basically lose all of their hard work, or follow the commits digest to keep up to date on whats going on.

All id like to see is some of the more popular contributions added into the core code. Like i said in an earlier post.. its as if several people are off working on the same project (OSC) but none of them ever communicate.

If you all remember correctly, there is a person who has completely redone OSC (from an earlier 2.1 release) and has used it on several e-commerce sites he has designed. His version of OSC, is feature rich, and has every feature a professional estore has. Harald supports this man by giving him a "sponsored site" link for all the sites he designs, yet the guy has given NOTHING to osc, and won't even share his code. I believe that if an attempt was made in the beginning to work with this guy, OSC would be much further along than it is now. Instead he has a much better product, and here we are working our asses off to accomplish what he already has.

Now why didn't you make your first few posts sound mor elike your last..probably would have gotten a much more productive response and would have saved me from reading 5 pages of drivell. :wink:

All id like to see is some of the more popular contributions added into the core code.

Isn't that the point of this?

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30725

Or if you are impatient why not just go to Ian's site and download his loaded version which comes pre-built with most of the popular/useful for the majority of people contributions?

OK,

I posted that last question to see your response. Once agiain you ignored everything I asked you. You really are not interested in osCommerce, but promoting your own warped version of reality.

I suggest that until you reveal your true identity no one relpies to this thread anymore. Regardless of provocation, misinformation, and outrght trolling.

Mr waiting has a choice, be upfront, or be ignored.

A) The real reason for your anonymity

B) Attacking Harald for not spending all day on forums

C) The amount of code change between 2.1 & 2.2

D) Contributions - Sticky topic & the fact that we have said contributions will be added to core

E) You want contributions added but want a release. You can't have both.

Remember I was a contributor, before I was a team member. I still support all of my contributions and I spend more than the the couple of hours you say you do.

I have NEVER whined about donations, in fact I would like to see your links to posts were dev team members have whined about not getting donations.

Ask the people I have helped on the forums wether I have ever asked upfront for donations.

A) The real reason for your anonymity

Becasuse who I am, does not affect anything. I didn't have a username on the new forums, so here I am.

B) Attacking Harald for not spending all day on forums

Wasn't attacking him. For a team leader though, he should spend more time on the project, or hand it over to someone who can.

C) The amount of code change between 2.1 & 2.2

I am fully aware. Its a completely different system, and this is why we need a new "stable" release.

D) Contributions - Sticky topic & the fact that we have said contributions will be added to core

OK, but WHEN? Haven't seen any sign of this yet.

E) You want contributions added but want a release. You can't have both.

Why cant I have both? It takes every bit of 1 day to add several contributions and test them. You then release the snapshot as "beta" and get testers. 1 month later you have a new version 2.x and can start setting goals for the next release. You guys seem to be making a big deal out of a little project. I know I can have 10+ contributions up and running in the latest snapshot by myself in under 6 hours time. Take that x the amount of developers you all have, and alot should be getting done, but thats not the case.

>Remember I was a contributor, before I was a team member. I still >support all of my contributions and I spend more than the the couple of >hours you say you do.

Thats great, and I am fully aware of all you have done.

>I have NEVER whined about donations, in fact I would like to see your >links to posts were dev team members have whined about not getting >donations.

There are sereral instances where Herald has bitched about not getting any funding for the project and same for some of the other developers. I remember these from the old forums, and from personal emails between myself and them.

Archived