• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2006 - MySQL server has gone away

Hello!

My host has just upgraded to PHP5 and MySQL 5. I've made the necessary code changes and the site seems to be working fine and we're getting orders through no problem. But in my admin I have 3 categories. 2 of them are fine but In one of them above the list of products I'm getting the following error...

2006 - MySQL server has gone away

select products_name from products_description where products_id = '859' and language_id = '1'

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mark.

the error shows that the connection is lost with mysql database

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

...2006 - MySQL server has gone away...

i am bemused by this error msg which i never realised it'd ever exist. its not a technical term i suppoe? as if its gone away for a break? or for lunch (that'd be longer)? and did it not say when it would return? :)

seriously though, whats the minor version of the mysql, 5.0.something? 5.1.30? the latter is a no no and would give you lots of headache. you may want to have a word with your host RE this.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

i am bemused by this error msg which i never realised it'd ever exist. its not a technical term i suppoe? as if its gone away for a break? or for lunch (that'd be longer)? and did it not say when it would return? :)

seriously though, whats the minor version of the mysql, 5.0.something? 5.1.30? the latter is a no no and would give you lots of headache. you may want to have a word with your host RE this.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Really appreciate your help. Yeah I hope it's only a short break!! :D It looks like it's version 5.0.67. It's weird cos the rest of the site is working ok and I can access the other 2 categories no problem. I can even access this category and it shows all the products in it but like I say with this error at the top. It also means I can't edit any of the products in this category!!

Cheers,

Mark.

Well I've been searching around and found the following;

Two most common reasons (and fixes) for the MySQL server has gone away (error 2006) are:

1. Server timed out and closed the connection. How to fix: check that wait_timeout variable in your mysqld's my.cnf configuration file is large enough. On Debian: sudo nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf, set wait_timeout to at least 600 seconds (you can tweak/decrease this value when error 2006 is gone), then sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart. I didn't check, but the default value for wait_timeout might be around 28800 seconds (8 hours).

2. Server dropped an incorrect or too large packet. If mysqld gets a packet that is too large or incorrect, it assumes that something has gone wrong with the client and closes the connection. You can increase the maximal packet size limit by increasing the value of max_allowed_packet in my.cnf file. On Debian: sudo nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf, set max_allowed_packet to to something like 64M (you can tweak/decrease this value when error 2006 is gone), then sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart.

This second one would make sense as the error is only in one of the 3 categories that I have and it is the one containing around 2500 products. The other 2 categories only have a few products in them and there is no error there. So I contacted my host but they won't make these changes;

Sorry, all our servers are standard setup of cpanel - you are hosted on a

shared server and we can't make system-wide changes like that.

Can anyone offer any further advice on this?

Many thanks,

Mark.

Archived