• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google XML Sitemap SEO

Jack_mcs

strange indeed - I ran it as normal, then switched to alternate - same error - back to normal and it ran - however...

my bad - I did not set properties on xml files - my mistake!

sorry for the wasted posts

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jack,

I received notice from google that they plan to change the way product feeds are handled via upload files starting July 1. Have you had a chance to look into this?

I believe they are moving away from the free product feed for the merchant center and are now focusing on adwords for submission to their shopping section.

Will there be an update for this mod and the google product feed mod?

If you need a copy of the email, I can post it here.

Thanks,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jack,

Please help me to solve the following:-

ERROR: Google Pages Sitemap Generation FAILED!

All the other pages are being generated ok except for one- sitemappages.xml.

im using oscommerce 2.3. i have set permissions to all .xml files to 777.

Thank you,

Shiry.

Hi Jack,

Please help me to solve the following:-

All the other pages are being generated ok except for one- sitemappages.xml.

im using oscommerce 2.3. i have set permissions to all .xml files to 777.

Thank you,

Shiry.

I don't know why that may be failing. My only guess is that there is some file in your root and/or languages directory that is confusing the code. You should remove any file, like index.php_bak, that shouldn't be there and see if that helps.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - Another great contribution!

I have installed this and it all works fine, but when I look at sitemappages.xml it only shows one page which is:

<loc>http://www <domain>/catalog/popup_coupon_help.php</loc>

Should it have more pages, such as contact.php, shipping.php, etc?

Thanks

Pete

You, you should see the other pages. Though I don't recommend using that option for now if it is listing the popup files since they should not be listed. This is known and scheduled to fixed in the next version.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 weeks later...

Opening /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapproducts.xml

FS_CAT /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/

Server http://www.vagina-bg.com

Save Path /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/

WS_CAT /shop/

Opening /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapproducts.xml

WS_CAT /shop/

Write /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapproducts.xml

Generated Google Product Sitemap Successfully

Opening /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapcategories.xml

WS_CAT /shop/

Opening /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapcategories.xml

WS_CAT /shop/

Write /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapcategories.xml

Generated Google Category Sitemap Successfully

Opening /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapmanufacturers.xml

WS_CAT /shop/

Opening /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapmanufacturers.xml

WS_CAT /shop/

Write /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapmanufacturers.xml

Generated Google Manufacturers Sitemap Successfully

Opening /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapspecials.xml

WS_CAT /shop/

Opening /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapspecials.xml

WS_CAT /shop/

Write /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapspecials.xml

Generated Google Specials Sitemap Successfully

Opening /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapindex.xml

WS_CAT /shop/

Opening /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapindex.xml

WS_CAT /shop/

Write /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapindex.xml

Generated Google Sitemap Index Successfully

Array

(

[QUERY] => Array

(

[PRODUCTS] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 148

)

[CATEOGRY] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 136

)

[MANUFACTURERS] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 6

)

[sPECIALS] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 1

)

)

[sAVE_FILE_XML] => Array

(

[0] => Array

(

[file] => /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapproducts.xml

[status] => success

[file_exists] => true

)

[1] => Array

(

[file] => /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapcategories.xml

[status] => success

[file_exists] => true

)

[2] => Array

(

[file] => /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapmanufacturers.xml

[status] => success

[file_exists] => true

)

[3] => Array

(

[file] => /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapspecials.xml

[status] => success

[file_exists] => true

)

[4] => Array

(

[file] => /var/www/html/vhosts/flamingo-toys.com/public_html/vagina-bg/shop/sitemapindex.xml

[status] => success

[file_exists] => true

)

)

)

sorry for double posting , but the problem apperead again on my other site and i cant solve it now .

sorry for double posting , but the problem apperead again on my other site and i cant solve it now .

I can't see anything wrong with it. Are you sure you installed it in the shop directory? Did you try the alternate setting?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

I have this up and running after playing with it for a while. Now I have SEO URLS Pro 5 (or something like that) installed and the xml files are showing the standard urls, not the SEO urls. How do I fix this?

Found this:

Google XML Sitemap SEO compitable with Ultimate SEO URL by FWR Media

and its working now.

I don't know why that may be failing. My only guess is that there is some file in your root and/or languages directory that is confusing the code. You should remove any file, like index.php_bak, that shouldn't be there and see if that helps.

this "ERROR: Google Pages Sitemap Generation FAILED!" refers to a problem that's been going on for some time with apparent frequency as the thread indicates

I checked back here:

a. http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/330175-google-xml-sitemap-seo/page__view__findpost__p__1375792

and here:

b. http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/330175-google-xml-sitemap-seo/page__view__findpost__p__1376309

a. but line 299 is now like 681?

b. lines 263-266 are now "* @@author Bobby Easland * @version 1.0"

By the way, I am looking at catalog/googlesitemap/sitemap.class.php. I noticed you referring to sitemap_class (link "a") not sitemap.map, but I can't locate the former one with the add-on.

*Anyway, it appears the reason the "ERROR: Google Pages Sitemap Generation FAILED!" keeps occurring is that the xml file sitemappages is empty...0 bytes, not a thing in it. Same for the sitemapspecials xml people are having issues with.

should those files be empty, or...

What exactly are the "pages" by the way? all the pages at my site, the info pages, or...

I have no errors except the pages sitemap, like a lot of people posting here. I can't seem to locate the fix per the two links above either. Is it because the xml sitepages file is empty.

Edited by ErikMM

Web Developer, Firebug, and Notepad++ are powerful free tools for web design.

I see the xml files are "dummy files" so they are empty at first

talked to my provider:

Did you give the script the proper information to access the database required for it to generate those other optional data files? If not it will fail because it cannot get the data to create them. It has to pull data from your database to create those sitemap files. If the proper database and/or tables do not exist in your installation it will have no way to do this. It appears this is a tool to go with osCommerce so your database must match what this tool needs to work.

Since we don't know anything else about the scripts specific details we cannot be of too much direct help on what exactly it requires or what steps are necessary to make it work, but the initial impression is that your database must not have all the information this tool is looking for. OR the failure messages are a false error.

Any thoughts or different suggestions that the ones in the post above at links a and b?

*Anyway, it appears the reason the "ERROR: Google Pages Sitemap Generation FAILED!" keeps occurring is that the xml file sitemappages is empty...0 bytes, not a thing in it. Same for the sitemapspecials xml people are having issues with.

should those files be empty, or...

What exactly are the "pages" by the way? all the pages at my site, the info pages, or...

I have no errors except the pages sitemap, like a lot of people posting here. I can't seem to locate the fix per the two links above either. Is it because the xml sitepages file is empty.

They will be empty if you don't enable the setting for them. In that case, you shouldn't add those as sitemap entries in your google account.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@ErikMM

I got caught be this one

"ERROR: Google Pages Sitemap Generation FAILED!"

Actually it can mean no pages were found to go in this file.

The test it does is for every file found in /includes/languages/english check and see if the file of the name name in the root of the shop contains the string <head> and is not in the list of files to exclude.

I got the same error message, this was caused by the IsViewable function, which checks for <head> coming back with a "false" result for every file.

In sitemap.class.php I changed it to

function IsViewable($file)
 {
   if (is_readable($file)) {
	   return true;
  }
   return false;
 }

On a 2.3.1 site, I also had to change lines lines 593 odd to

/*** ADD INFORMATION PAGES ***/
    else if ($filename === 'information.php')
    {
	  $sql = "SELECT information_id from " . TABLE_INFORMATION . " where information_id > '5' and visible = '1' and language_id = '" . (int)$languageID . "'";

Otherwise I got entries for the header text.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

@@ErikMM

I got caught be this one

"ERROR: Google Pages Sitemap Generation FAILED!"

Actually it can mean no pages were found to go in this file.

The test it does is for every file found in /includes/languages/english check and see if the file of the name name in the root of the shop contains the string <head> and is not in the list of files to exclude.

I got the same error message, this was caused by the IsViewable function, which checks for <head> coming back with a "false" result for every file.

Thanks.

I figured I didn't have any "pages" file(s), and the other ones I was concerned about were ok: manufactures, product, and category

• 1 month later...

Hi! I get no errors with my sitemap and the cron job seems to be doing fine.... my only problems is the sitemaps have not changed since Oct. 22, 2011. Hundreds of things have changed in this year but it does not seem to be generating anything beyond it's very first time. Any ideas?

THX

Log Cabin Fever Gifts

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed it on 2.2 and getting "ERROR: Google Product Sitemap Generation FAILED!"

The files exist and are set to 777, tried both standard and alternate

The full error is:

Warning: fopen(/home8/asianus/public_html/sitemapproducts.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/asianus/public_html/googlesitemap/sitemap.class.php on line 345

ERROR: Google Product Sitemap Generation FAILED!

Warning: fopen(/home8/asianus/public_html/sitemapcategories.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/asianus/public_html/googlesitemap/sitemap.class.php on line 345

ERROR: Google Category Sitemap Generation FAILED!

Warning: chdir() [function.chdir]: No such file or directory (errno 2) in /home/asianus/public_html/googlesitemap/sitemap.class.php on line 776

Warning: fopen(/home8/asianus/public_html/sitemapindex.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/asianus/public_html/googlesitemap/sitemap.class.php on line 345

ERROR: Google Sitemap Index Generation FAILED!

Array

(

[QUERY] => Array

(

[PRODUCTS] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 16427

)

[CATEOGRY] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 22

)

)

[sAVE_FILE_XML] => Array

(

[0] => Array

(

[file] => /home8/asianus/public_html/sitemapproducts.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => false

)

[1] => Array

(

[file] => /home8/asianus/public_html/sitemapcategories.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => false

)

[2] => Array

(

[file] => /home8/asianus/public_html/sitemapindex.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => false

)

)

)

The errors are saying the files can't be found. if you are sure they are there, then it is most likely a mistake in your configure file. See here.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 months later...

Hi Jack,

Thank you very much for your addon.

Sorry if I asked the same question as others did.

I had installed Sitemap SEO at the very beginning, and I block some IP as I thought it was attack based on PHP Intrustion, and then a while our website couldn't find on google at all. So I came back and install your add on.

If I had the file permission as 777, I get 500 Internal Server Error, if I set it back as 755, I get this error message as below:

(PS I had read previous reply about 500 Internal Server Error, and said need to contact Host company, my website did not have limitation. Could you please give me more detail about how to solve this 500 error problem?)

Warning: fopen(/sitemapproducts.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /mysite/googlesitemap/sitemap.class_Alternate.php on line 353

ERROR: Google Product Sitemap Generation FAILED!

Warning: fopen(/sitemapcategories.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /mysite.com/googlesitemap/sitemap.class_Alternate.php on line 353

ERROR: Google Category Sitemap Generation FAILED!

Warning: fopen(/sitemapindex.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /mysite/googlesitemap/sitemap.class_Alternate.php on line 353

ERROR: Google Sitemap Index Generation FAILED!

Array

(

[QUERY] => Array

(

[PRODUCTS] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 158

)

[CATEOGRY] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 44

)

)

[sAVE_FILE_XML] => Array

(

[0] => Array

(

[file] => /sitemapproducts.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => false

)

[1] => Array

(

[file] => /sitemapcategories.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => false

)

[2] => Array

(

[file] => /sitemapindex.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => false

)

)

)

Many thanks in advance.

Lyn

Some servers have software installed that won't allow setting permissions to 777, which is correct. If you try to set them to 777 and the file is accessed, the 500 error occurs. So 755 is correct in your case, or it sounds like it is. The error is saying it can't find the files. Assuming this addon is installed correctly, that is probably failing due to an incorrectly setup configure file.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons