• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google XML Sitemap SEO

Jack_mcs

i installed everything and tried out. I get a "success" on every xml file and checked the data. The URL's seems to be fine. But they are in standard form, not in SEO optimized URL form.

Now, does this make any difference how google accepts and rates the links in the sitemap? If yes, how can i try to generate xml files with SEO optimized URL output?

Last Question: which file do i have to link in google webmastertool? is it ok to link to sitemapindex.xml? Or is it better to link each sitemapproducts, sitemapcategories etc separately?

It is most likely due to the url rewriter you are using. If you are using Ultimate SEO V2.2d, which is what I recommend, it should work as is. If you are using one of the other ones, you may need to adjust their code. You would have to ask in the support thread for the one you are using though.

The urls do make a difference since the search engines will be issued 301's for all of them so you need to fix this if you are going to use it.

Add all of the sitemaps in your google account.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

Thanks for this great contribution - seems to be working really well although when I check in Google Webmaster Tools after submitting my 6 .xml files, the only one that seems to be working is sitemapindex.xml with 295 URLs submitted. I checked the errors for the others and they all say:

'Paths don't match

We've detected that you submitted your Sitemap using a URL path that includes the www prefix (for instance, http://www.example.com/sitemap.xml). However, the URLs listed inside your Sitemap don't use the www prefix (for instance, http://example.com/myfile.htm).'

This warning does make sense to me, :thumbsup: however when I go into the Sitemapindex.xml (which is 'OK') it lists my other 5 sitemaps inside as all ok!

So my grand finale question is, did I only need to upload the one .xml file as it seems to have generated the others filenames inside?

Thanks very much

'Paths don't match

We've detected that you submitted your Sitemap using a URL path that includes the www prefix (for instance, http://www.example.com/sitemap.xml). However, the URLs listed inside your Sitemap don't use the www prefix (for instance, http://example.com/myfile.htm).'

This warning does make sense to me, :thumbsup: however when I go into the Sitemapindex.xml (which is 'OK') it lists my other 5 sitemaps inside as all ok!

They are saying that you have your site listed with them as www.example.com but your feed is telling them it is for example.com. Even though those are links to the same location, the search engines treat them differently. So you have either have to change the name in your google account or change your configure file to match that name.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

They are saying that you have your site listed with them as www.example.com but your feed is telling them it is for example.com. Even though those are links to the same location, the search engines treat them differently. So you have either have to change the name in your google account or change your configure file to match that name.

thanks - how comes sitemapindex.xml is showing as ok? (as it's possible to view all pages by optionally typing the www. in). Also, is it ok that it shows 295 URL's?

I will change the google account to remove the www. and resubmit. Do you know if this means it will ignore results from anyone typing in the www.?

Thank you!

Edited by Lucy Fox

thanks - how comes sitemapindex.xml is showing as ok? (as it's possible to view all pages by optionally typing the www. in). Also, is it ok that it shows 295 URL's?

I will change the google account to remove the www. and resubmit. Do you know if this means it will ignore results from anyone typing in the www.?

Thank you!

There's something wrong if your sitemapindex file is showing that many urls unless you have a very large shop and multiple maps were created due to the size limits imposed by google. But if your shop is only creating the three to six standard map files, then something is wrong. If the links are incorrect, google won't use them from the map files. They may still add them through a normal search but it will take longer. Better to fix the problem and let the code work for you.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

There's something wrong if your sitemapindex file is showing that many urls unless you have a very large shop and multiple maps were created due to the size limits imposed by google. But if your shop is only creating the three to six standard map files, then something is wrong. If the links are incorrect, google won't use them from the map files. They may still add them through a normal search but it will take longer. Better to fix the problem and let the code work for you.

I see. Thank you for your advice, and thanks for a great contrib - removing the www. in my google account has fixed my issue and it now appears to be working like a treat. Now to install your next contribution!

Hi, I am getting errors and i have a feeling it might be somthing to do withn line 329 in googlesitemap/sitemap.class.php file which is:

$filename .= '.xml.gz';

Also permisions are same as image file and diagnostic output is as follows:

Opening /homepages/19/d168749853/htdocs/sitemapproducts.xml

FS_CAT /homepages/19/d168749853/htdocs/

Server http://www.equineinternetsupplies.co.uk

Save Path /homepages/19/d168749853/htdocs/

WS_CAT /

ERROR: Google Product Sitemap Generation FAILED!

Opening /homepages/19/d168749853/htdocs/sitemapcategories.xml

WS_CAT /

ERROR: Google Category Sitemap Generation FAILED!

Opening /homepages/19/d168749853/htdocs/sitemapindex.xml

WS_CAT /

ERROR: Google Sitemap Index Generation FAILED!

Array

(

[QUERY] => Array

(

[PRODUCTS] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 4

)

[CATEOGRY] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 4

)

)

[sAVE_FILE_XML] => Array

(

[0] => Array

(

[file] => /homepages/19/d168749853/htdocs/sitemapproducts.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => true

)

[1] => Array

(

[file] => /homepages/19/d168749853/htdocs/sitemapcategories.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => true

)

[2] => Array

(

[file] => /homepages/19/d168749853/htdocs/sitemapindex.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => true

)

)

)

AND here is the output from generating the sitemap through my browser:

Array

(

[QUERY] => Array

(

[PRODUCTS] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 4

)

[CATEOGRY] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 4

)

)

[sAVE_FILE_XML] => Array

(

[0] => Array

(

[file] => /homepages/19/d168749853/htdocs/sitemapproducts.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => true

)

[1] => Array

(

[file] => /homepages/19/d168749853/htdocs/sitemapcategories.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => true

)

[2] => Array

(

[file] => /homepages/19/d168749853/htdocs/sitemapindex.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => true

)

)

)

Pleeeeeease can someone help me?

Hi, I am getting errors and i have a feeling it might be somthing to do withn line 329 in googlesitemap/sitemap.class.php file which is:

Also permisions are same as image file and diagnostic output is as follows:

What happens when you try the alternate settings?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Here's the error's from 'alternative' mode.

Thank you :)

Array

(

[QUERY] => Array

(

[PRODUCTS] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 4

)

[CATEOGRY] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 4

)

)

[sAVE_FILE_XML] => Array

(

[0] => Array

(

[file] => /sitemapproducts.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => false

)

[1] => Array

(

[file] => /sitemapcategories.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => false

)

[2] => Array

(

[file] => /sitemapindex.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => false

)

)

)

Here's the error's from 'alternative' mode.

Thank you :)

That's not a valid result and given that the FS_CAT entry for the first one is wrong (it should include the googlesitemap directory), it would seem there is a mistake in your installation.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Do you mean installation of your contribution? (Not OSC) I assume?

I followed the instructions to the tea. I thought that where it stated

$filename .= '.xml.gz';

that the gzip was the issue and maybe I had done something wrong there. As others don't seems to be getting '.xml.gz' just '.xml'.

I am a newbie to this and I am not sure what you mean by FS_CAT.

I put the dir of googlesitemap straight up with same permissions as image folder. All other files I put in root and gave 777 permissions.

Please can you spell it out to me incase I am missing something? Thank you so much :)

Do you mean installation of your contribution? (Not OSC) I assume?

I followed the instructions to the tea. I thought that where it stated

$filename .= '.xml.gz';

that the gzip was the issue and maybe I had done something wrong there. As others don't seems to be getting '.xml.gz' just '.xml'.

I am a newbie to this and I am not sure what you mean by FS_CAT.

I put the dir of googlesitemap straight up with same permissions as image folder. All other files I put in root and gave 777 permissions.

Please can you spell it out to me incase I am missing something? Thank you so much :)

I don't know why you are thinking the gzip is a problem but if you are seeing that in your results, it means you have altered the settings in googlesitemap/index.php. If that is the case, you should return those to the default settings. If that isn't the case, then it appears your shops configure file is at fault. Please post that here, without the database details, and I will take a look at it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your patience with me. I completely un-installed and re-installed. Set everything to 777 and now it works a treat! Thank you.

I couldn't understand why it went so wrong considering it's one of the easiet contributions to ever add!

Thanks again for your input and time

Regards Webby x

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your patience with me. I completely un-installed and re-installed. Set everything to 777 and now it works a treat! Thank you.

I couldn't understand why it went so wrong considering it's one of the easiet contributions to ever add!

Thanks again for your input and time

Regards Webby x

No problem. I'm glad it worked out. :)

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

No problem. I'm glad it worked out. :)

hi..this is probably a really silly question but i read your instructions on how to install and well everything makes sense except the first step =)

1) Upload all of the files in the catalog directory to the same location on your server.

do you mean create a folder in the ..../public_html/ called "catalog" and put all the files in there?

i wasnt able to find an existing folder called catalog

thanks for any and all help

jane

hi..this is probably a really silly question but i read your instructions on how to install and well everything makes sense except the first step =)

1) Upload all of the files in the catalog directory to the same location on your server.

do you mean create a folder in the ..../public_html/ called "catalog" and put all the files in there?

i wasnt able to find an existing folder called catalog

You'll see catalog referened often in contributions. It refers to the root of your shop. Not all shops will have a catalog directory. Some will have one named shop, store, my_special_place or whatever the shop owner decides to name it. But most, probably, won't have one at all. The place where the index.php file of your shop, the home page, is located is the root of your shop. That is where the files are to be uploaded, being sure to keep the same directory structure, other than catalog, as you do.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You'll see catalog referened often in contributions. It refers to the root of your shop. Not all shops will have a catalog directory. Some will have one named shop, store, my_special_place or whatever the shop owner decides to name it. But most, probably, won't have one at all. The place where the index.php file of your shop, the home page, is located is the root of your shop. That is where the files are to be uploaded, being sure to keep the same directory structure, other than catalog, as you do.

ok..i know where the index file is but im not sure what you mean by 'keep the same directory structure'...do create a new folder called catalog in the root directory? or do i just upload the files from the catalog folder of your add-on into the root directory?

sorry if i sound dense..im just a little confused =)

jane

ok..i know where the index file is but im not sure what you mean by 'keep the same directory structure'...do create a new folder called catalog in the root directory? or do i just upload the files from the catalog folder of your add-on into the root directory?

sorry if i sound dense..im just a little confused =)

i .

succcess!!

CONGRATULATIONS! All files generated successfully =)

thanks ..just took a little extra reading and a bottle of wine =)

one last question...i have an old sitemap.xml file i generated a while back..i thought it would be redundant or even wrong..so i renamed it sitemapold.xml

is that ok?

or should i just remove it from the server?

Edited by janewhitman

succcess!!

CONGRATULATIONS! All files generated successfully =)

thanks ..just took a little extra reading and a bottle of wine =)

one last question...i have an old sitemap.xml file i generated a while back..i thought it would be redundant or even wrong..so i renamed it sitemapold.xml

is that ok?

or should i just remove it from the server?

Good job.

You should delete the old file. It will become outdated as your site changes and not be of any use.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Good job.

You should delete the old file. It will become outdated as your site changes and not be of any use.

Hi Jack,

i noticed the googlesitemap addon isnt including the articles/content i published..

I used your article manager add-on 1.0 to create relevant news stories etc to my business...the meat and potatoes if you will..

but its not getting seen by the google sitemap..

what can i do? can i create a xml sitemap just for article manager? or??

thanks again

jane

i noticed the googlesitemap addon isnt including the articles/content i published..

I used your article manager add-on 1.0 to create relevant news stories etc to my business...the meat and potatoes if you will..

but its not getting seen by the google sitemap..

what can i do? can i create a xml sitemap just for article manager? or??

jane

You need to enable the pages sitemap in the settings.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I went through all the instructions in the readme, and then when I get to the last step (go to domain.com/googlesitemap/index.php), an error occurs -

"[an error occurred while processing this directive]" comes up in the browser. I've set all the permissions to 777, so I don't know why I'm getting this problem.

I went through all the instructions in the readme, and then when I get to the last step (go to domain.com/googlesitemap/index.php), an error occurs -

"[an error occurred while processing this directive]" comes up in the browser. I've set all the permissions to 777, so I don't know why I'm getting this problem.

You have to go through all of the instructions. Since you didn't post the test results here, you haven't done that. Please read the instructions again and do as they state.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons