• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Updating product price: looking for advice

Hi,

The business I am currently help with their website is looking for an easy way to update their prices. Currently, they have a little over 800 products available online. These are jewelry products and the prices fluctuate with market prices for gold and silver. I am looking for a relatively easy to install contribution that will allow for them to very easily update prices. They are not very tech savvy, but need something that can handle the pretty frequent price changes.

Also, there are several contributions already installed on the website. These include ultrapics, lightbox, xsell (or cross sell), and oscthumbs.

I am currently looking at easy populate & products attributes add on as a possibility since they have the entirety of their inventory already located in an excel file, as well as a function in excel that adjusts all the prices (considering each item adjusts differently because of the amount of precious metal inside of it.) My only worry with this, however, is that I will run into problems because of the other addons already installed.

I was also looking at quick price updates as another alternative but am a little confused on exactly how it will work and if it would also be pretty easy to put the products in as well.

Thanks for the input on what might best suite my client's needs,

J

Easy Populate will do what you want and is the easiest for someone to use for multiple changes. The other contributions won't cause a problem with it but they won't be recognized by it either. But that won't matter for updating prices.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Easy Populate will do what you want and is the easiest for someone to use for multiple changes. The other contributions won't cause a problem with it but they won't be recognized by it either. But that won't matter for updating prices.

Jack

Ok cool, thanks Jack! One more quick question; will i need to heavily modify easy populate in order for it to work or can I just have it upload the price information and do all the other stuff manually from the admin panel? Hope this question makes sense lol.

J

Ok cool, thanks Jack! One more quick question; will i need to heavily modify easy populate in order for it to work or can I just have it upload the price information and do all the other stuff manually from the admin panel? Hope this question makes sense lol.

J

Ok i kind of thought of a better way to ask the question. The way im assuming this contribution works is that it updates changes in the database from the .csv file. What i am wondering is if there are extra columns that are in the database but not in the csv file, will the contribution delete the column? or will it just leave it blank? hope this makes it a bit more clear.

Thanks again,

J

You can control the action of EP by the parameters you can set.

It might be best to download the contribution and read the excellent documentation as it is so flexible.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

You can control the action of EP by the parameters you can set.

It might be best to download the contribution and read the excellent documentation as it is so flexible.

Geoff,

Cool! If it is easy to extra columns in the output then I guess I will go for it. I guess part of my questions, though, was do I need to add this? So long as it only overwrites the columns that are in the .cvs file and leaves the other ones alone I'd be happy.

J

It only changes the items in the file. If you don't include some field, it won't get changed. Although you need to be careful and test the upload first since some columns are required.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It only changes the items in the file. If you don't include some field, it won't get changed. Although you need to be careful and test the upload first since some columns are required.

Jack

Awesome. Thanks for the info Jack =)

J

Jack

Thanks again, Jack! Just finished installation and it works like a charm! Definitely a great contribution!

J