• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need Different picture for thumbnail

Dr_killer_UK

What i am "trying" to do is have the main product image as normal but have a separate image for the thumbnail that is actually the thumbnail size.

As default it takes the main image and resizes it for a thumbnail but its till the same physical file size that people have to load to see a thumbnail.

As i figure it, if i leave it "as is" people will have to load the full 400X300 pix image (about 22kb) to see the thumbnail, if it loaded a thumbnail sized image int he 1st place that would only be about 3kb people have to load.

Hope every one gets what I'm trying to achieve.

(this should be put into the next OSC version unless i'm totally wrong on how it works lol)

HELP!!!

Thanks

Jonny

What i am "trying" to do is have the main product image as normal but have a separate image for the thumbnail that is actually the thumbnail size.

As default it takes the main image and resizes it for a thumbnail but its till the same physical file size that people have to load to see a thumbnail.

As i figure it, if i leave it "as is" people will have to load the full 400X300 pix image (about 22kb) to see the thumbnail, if it loaded a thumbnail sized image int he 1st place that would only be about 3kb people have to load.

Hope every one gets what I'm trying to achieve.

(this should be put into the next OSC version unless i'm totally wrong on how it works lol)

HELP!!!

Thanks

Jonny

Hi Jonny,

I have a possible solution for you to think about. On our website I've rewritten the tep_image function to call another image.php page. This page dynamically resizes the image to whatever size was originally called for in the tep_image function statement. This uses GD library function 'imagecopyresampled' to resize the image and then output a raw image file to the webpage. This allows you to have whatever size original, even something like 1200x1200 pix image, resized and then downloaded. I have some pictures that are 513K(or larger) and are resized to only 4K download. The full size picture is then available with just a mouse click.

Frank